Potentiometers (variable resistors) are probably the most common and cheap position encoder; commonly used in RC Servos. The resistor is connected between power and ground, and the wiper then produces a voltage related to the position. Advantages: Cheap, fast, small. Disadvantages: Low accuracy, short life, intermittant operation (especially when grit, grime, or wear damages the resistive surface).
|file: /Techref/io/sensor/pos/encoders.htm, 1KB, , updated: 2016/8/12 13:45, local time: 2018/4/24 05:24,
|©2018 These pages are served without commercial sponsorship. (No popup ads, etc...).Bandwidth abuse increases hosting cost forcing sponsorship or shutdown. This server aggressively defends against automated copying for any reason including offline viewing, duplication, etc... Please respect this requirement and DO NOT RIP THIS SITE. Questions?|
<A HREF="http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/sensor/pos/encoders.htm"> Shaft / Slide Position Encoders</A>
|Did you find what you needed?|
PICList 2018 contributors:
o List host: MIT, Site host massmind.org, Top posters @20180424 RussellMc, Van Horn, David, Sean Breheny, Isaac M. Bavaresco, Bob Blick, Neil, David C Brown, alan.b.pearce, Brent Brown, John Gardner,
* Page Editors: James Newton, David Cary, and YOU!
* Roman Black of Black Robotics donates from sales of Linistep stepper controller kits.
* Ashley Roll of Digital Nemesis donates from sales of RCL-1 RS232 to TTL converters.
* Monthly Subscribers: Gregg Rew. on-going support is MOST appreciated!
* Contributors: Richard Seriani, Sr.
Welcome to www.piclist.com!