For a great little Surface Mount practice kit, see Roman Black's Shift-1 wire serial LCD driver and project board
Surface mount devices have many advantages and a few disadvantages. More and more components are available only in SMT packages, so learning to work with them is becomming critical.
|Takes up much less space
Wider range of parts avilable
Can be soldered in batches by reflow or wave techniques
Automated placement very possible
|No leads to hold component in place while soldering
Small size makes hand soldering difficult wtihout a brace or very steady hand
Bridged solder traces more likely and difficult to see.
Easy to loose if dropped
|file: /Techref/smds.htm, 5KB, , updated: 2018/12/25 23:49, local time: 2023/9/28 18:35,
|©2023 These pages are served without commercial sponsorship. (No popup ads, etc...).Bandwidth abuse increases hosting cost forcing sponsorship or shutdown. This server aggressively defends against automated copying for any reason including offline viewing, duplication, etc... Please respect this requirement and DO NOT RIP THIS SITE. Questions?|
<A HREF="http://www.piclist.com/techref/smds.htm"> SMD</A>
|Did you find what you needed?|
PICList 2023 contributors:
o List host: MIT, Site host massmind.org, Top posters @none found
- Page Editors: James Newton, David Cary, and YOU!
* Roman Black of Black Robotics donates from sales of Linistep stepper controller kits.
* Ashley Roll of Digital Nemesis donates from sales of RCL-1 RS232 to TTL converters.
* Monthly Subscribers: Gregg Rew. on-going support is MOST appreciated!
* Contributors: Richard Seriani, Sr.
Welcome to www.piclist.com!