The main article is Knowledge Base #555038
For '98, the relavant section is:
1. Install Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1 or higher.
2. Install DSCLIENT utility from Windows 2000 Server installation disk or
Installing the .msi file they link to does NOT install the required files; it installs the file that installs the files. You must run C:\Program Files\Microsoft\DSClient9xSetup\dsclient.exe to actually install the files.
Note: Please review the knowlagebase: "Directory Services Client Update for
Windows 98" 323455:
3. Enable NTLM 2 Authentication
To verify your installation version:
- Right click start, then click Explorer. in the left panel, select the %SystemRoot%\System folder (press the left arrow twice, quickly type "system")
- In the right panel (press tab), locate the Secur32.dll file.
- Right-click the file, and then click Properties. (Alt-F, r)
- Click the Version tab. (tab, right arrow)
The description for the 56-bit version is "Microsoft Win32 Security Services (Export Version)." The description for the 128-bit version is "Microsoft Win32 Security Services (US and Canada Only)."
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibility DWORD:1 (M$ and ^ says to use 3 but 1 seems a better setting: "Level 1 - Use NTLM 2 session security if negotiated. Clients use LM and NTLM authentication, and use NTLM 2 session security if the server supports it")
4. Enable SMB Signing
5. Configure the workstation to use local WINS server.
6. Consider installing the hotfixes that are described in: Service Packs
and Hotfixes That Are Available to Resolve Account Lockout Issues
7. Configure the local DNS domain as DNS under TCP/IP properties.
Note: If the logon problem is'nt resolved, please review the following
knowlagebase: "Problems logging on to a Windows 2000-based server or a Windows
|file: /Techref/os/win/98to2k3.htm, 4KB, , updated: 2009/2/2 20:26, local time: 2018/10/18 20:51,
|©2018 These pages are served without commercial sponsorship. (No popup ads, etc...).Bandwidth abuse increases hosting cost forcing sponsorship or shutdown. This server aggressively defends against automated copying for any reason including offline viewing, duplication, etc... Please respect this requirement and DO NOT RIP THIS SITE. Questions?|
<A HREF="http://www.piclist.com/techref/os/win/98to2k3.htm"> Connecting Win98 WS to Win2k3</A>
|Did you find what you needed?|
PICList 2018 contributors:
o List host: MIT, Site host massmind.org, Top posters @20181018 RussellMc, Van Horn, David, Sean Breheny, David C Brown, Isaac M. Bavaresco, Neil, Bob Blick, John Gardner, Harold Hallikainen, Denny Esterline,
* Page Editors: James Newton, David Cary, and YOU!
* Roman Black of Black Robotics donates from sales of Linistep stepper controller kits.
* Ashley Roll of Digital Nemesis donates from sales of RCL-1 RS232 to TTL converters.
* Monthly Subscribers: Gregg Rew. on-going support is MOST appreciated!
* Contributors: Richard Seriani, Sr.
Welcome to www.piclist.com!