Function 3Fh Read From A File Or Device Read from file with handle entry AH 3Fh BX file handle CX number of bytes to read DS:DX address of buffer return flag CF 0 successful read 1 error AX 0 pointer was already at end of file or number of bytes read or error code (5, 6) note 1) This function attempts to transfer the number of bytes specified in CX to a buffer location. It is not guaranteed that all bytes will be read. If AX
2) If performed from STDIN (file handle 0000), the input can be redirected 3) If used to read the keyboard, it will only read to the first CR 4) The file pointer is incremented to the last byte read. 5) The data is read beginning at the current file position. bugs: Novell NETX.EXE v3.26 and 3.31 do not set CF if the read fails due to a record lock (see AH=5Ch), though it does return AX=0005h; this has been documented by Novell Attempting to read close to 64k of data in one chunk MAY result in data corruption near the end of the block when running under Window 98.
|file: /Techref/int/21f/3f.htm, 1KB, , updated: 1999/6/14 13:25, local time: 2021/11/29 13:25,
|©2021 These pages are served without commercial sponsorship. (No popup ads, etc...).Bandwidth abuse increases hosting cost forcing sponsorship or shutdown. This server aggressively defends against automated copying for any reason including offline viewing, duplication, etc... Please respect this requirement and DO NOT RIP THIS SITE. Questions?|
<A HREF="http://www.piclist.com/techref/int/21f/3f.htm"> int 21f 3f</A>
|Did you find what you needed?|
PICList 2021 contributors:
o List host: MIT, Site host massmind.org, Top posters @20211129 Neil, Harold Hallikainen, Alan Pearce, RussellMc, Bob Blick, Allen Mulvey, Justin Richards, Dwayne Reid, madscientistatlarge, Sean Breheny,
* Page Editors: James Newton, David Cary, and YOU!
* Roman Black of Black Robotics donates from sales of Linistep stepper controller kits.
* Ashley Roll of Digital Nemesis donates from sales of RCL-1 RS232 to TTL converters.
* Monthly Subscribers: Gregg Rew. on-going support is MOST appreciated!
* Contributors: Richard Seriani, Sr.
Welcome to www.piclist.com!