Searching \ for 'stop off topic Re: [TECH]::' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'stop off topic Re: [TECH]::'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'stop off topic Re: [TECH]::'
2010\01\12@152421 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
I'm past being interested in GW topics so just ignore them. I suggest
you do the same - it's not like it's very difficult. I'd argue that
any subject matter goes so long as it's appropriately tagged (I no
longer do much with PICs, so only really stay subscribed for the going
off at tangents). That's so long as posts obey other normal rules
about conflict and being rude - GW certainly isn't a subject which is
inevitably going to break those rules so long as people behave.

Chris

2010\01\12@161905 by Angelo Castellano

flavicon
face
From: "Chris McSweeny"

> I'm past being interested in GW topics so just ignore them. I suggest
> you do the same - it's not like it's very difficult. I'd argue that
> any subject matter goes so long as it's appropriately tagged

The problem is they can't be ignored.  These kind of threads always turn nasty and do nothing to help the purpose of this list.

This is also the [TECH] topic.  From the bottom of these emails:
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

show what topics are and their guidleines.  [TECH] is:
"About technology, Engineering other than EE, science hard stuff. NOT the philosophy of science in any depth. ...... but not
discussions of "An inconvenient truth" or "The great global warming swindle" etc. This may rate an occasional mention in TECH but
long ramblings can go to OT. "

Changing it to [OT]  does nothing:
"This label is for posts that are completely off the topic of engineering/technology. The only things we don't ever want to see are
religious/metaphysical, sex, hate, or political messages"

Please stay with the piclist.  If you want to discuss something else, please open a yahoo group and take your discussion there.

Angelo Castellano

2010\01\12@163947 by Chris McSweeny

picon face
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Angelo Castellano
<spam_OUTstatsoneTakeThisOuTspamsympatico.ca> wrote:
> From: "Chris McSweeny"
>
>> I'm past being interested in GW topics so just ignore them. I suggest
>> you do the same - it's not like it's very difficult. I'd argue that
>> any subject matter goes so long as it's appropriately tagged
>
> The problem is they can't be ignored.

Of course they can. The subject of the latest one includes "Global
Warming" - I simply haven't opened that thread (there's plenty of
other threads I also haven't opened - I'm not interested in specific
details of using a specific PIC I've never owned). It does help to use
a threading e-mail client, which is what I get with gmail, but if
you're not using one of those surely the quantity of posts is somewhat
overwhelming anyway?

> [TECH] is:
> "About technology, Engineering other than EE, science hard stuff. NOT the philosophy of science in any depth. ...... but not
> discussions of "An inconvenient truth" or "The great global warming swindle" etc. This may rate an occasional mention in TECH but
> long ramblings can go to OT. "
So some discussion of GW is allowed provided it sticks to technical stuff.

> Changing it to [OT]  does nothing:
> "This label is for posts that are completely off the topic of engineering/technology. The only things we don't ever want to see are
> religious/metaphysical, sex, hate, or political messages"
So all discussion of GW is allowed provided discussion remains civil
and avoids political messages (note politics itself is allowed within
limits). Do you really think the rules don't allow it under that tag,
or is it that you want to get rid of that tag entirely? If the latter,
just set up a filter and dump the messages if you're totally
uninterested in these discussions.

Chris

2010\01\12@170736 by M. Adam Davis

face picon face
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Angelo Castellano
<.....statsoneKILLspamspam@spam@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> This is also the [TECH] topic.

You may not be aware of this, but Russel is pretty much the [TECH]
admin, and he's very interested in Climate Change topics when hard
science and the occasional reasonable opinion are discussed.

If you are only interested in PIC and engineering topics, please go to
the mailman control panel and disable the [TECH] and [OT] topics.  You
will then cease to receive these emails.  You will not see GW topics
in EE or PIC, and there's so little in TECH that you probably won't
miss anythingyou are truly interested in by turning that tag off.

Also, keep in mind that while the community formed around PICs, it is
still alive due to the people in the community, and the discussion,
ontopic or off, that occur within the community.  The EE tag alone
produces more traffic than the PIC tag - which is now only about 33%
of the topics on this list in the last several years (much smaller in
the last year or two).

The admins have repeatedly made the decision to allow nearly all
topics, and have worked hard to make sure there's a place and tag for
every discussion so that people who are only interested in certain
topics can turn off the other tags and effectively ignore those parts
of the community discussion that they are not interested in.

-Adam

2010\01\12@224853 by Angelo Castellano

flavicon
face
From: "M. Adam Davis"
>
> If you are only interested in PIC and engineering topics, please go to
> the mailman control panel and disable the [TECH] and [OT] topics.  You

done.

Angelo Castellano

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2010 , 2011 only
- Today
- New search...