Searching \ for 'more help for beginner (does this subject title de' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=more+help+beginner
Search entire site for: 'more help for beginner (does this subject title de'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'more help for beginner (does this subject title de'
1997\10\29@205827 by Jonathan M. Newport

flavicon
face
I'm back again for a few more question.  Now I just got in some ceramic
resonators w/ capacitors.  What's the hardware set-up for these?  Is it
the outer two pins one to clock in and the other to clock out? and then
the middle (which I assume is the cap) connected to gnd?  I have a 4 mhz
and a 10 mhz resonator does it follow that i use xt and hs mode
respectively on these? also does anyone have the code for an LTC1298 a/d
convertor for the 16c84/16f84?  if anyone could send that to me it would
be most appreciated...I figure I might copy until I actually learn this
assembly.  By the way, what is the differences between the f84 and the
c84? I know one uses flash and the other eeprom or something like that.
But are there any assembly instruction differences?  The reason I ask is
that I now have one of each and was wondering if I could use the same code
for two different chips.

and just for a conversation topic... Digi key is great aren't they?  If
you send in a check order, they pay the shipping, and this last one they
sent it SINGLE DAY AIR!  wonderful isn't it?  I promise I haven't been
paid to say this.

au revoir
Jonathan

1997\10\29@214926 by Tom Cox

flavicon
face
Subjects like "help for beginner" and "newbie question" probably attract
some readers and repel others.  I'd guess you'd have better results with a
subject that is more informative, like "ceramic oscillator problem."

1997\10\30@001144 by Andrew Warren

face
flavicon
face
Jonathan M. Newport <spam_OUTPICLISTTakeThisOuTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I just got in some ceramic resonators w/ capacitors.  What's the
> hardware set-up for these?  Is it the outer two pins one to clock
> in and the other to clock out? and then the middle (which I assume
> is the cap) connected to gnd?

   Yes.

> I have a 4 mhz and a 10 mhz resonator does it follow that i use xt
> and hs mode respectively on these?

   Yes.

> what is the differences between the f84 and the c84? I know one
> uses flash and the other eeprom or something like that. But are
> there any assembly instruction differences?  The reason I ask is
> that I now have one of each and was wondering if I could use the
> same code for two different chips.

   They both use the same memory technology... It's EEPROM without
   the ability to erase each byte individually.

   There are no differences in the two chips' instruction sets, and
   the F84 is completely compatible with code written for the C84.
   Code that uses the F84's extra RAM, of course, won't work on the
   C84.

> and just for a conversation topic... Digi key is great aren't they?

   Well... They're ok, but their minimum order amount ($25, I
   think) can sometimes be an obstacle.  Mouser (800 346-6873, or
   http://www.mouser.com ) has just as large a selection and no
   minimum order amount.

   -Andy

=== Andrew Warren - .....fastfwdKILLspamspam@spam@ix.netcom.com
=== Fast Forward Engineering - Vista, California
=== http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2499

1997\10\30@013015 by Mike Keitz

picon face
On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 19:57:51 -0600 "Jonathan M. Newport"
<jnewportspamKILLspamMAIL.ORION.ORG> writes:
>I'm back again for a few more question.  Now I just got in some
>ceramic
>resonators w/ capacitors.  What's the hardware set-up for these?  Is
>it
>the outer two pins one to clock in and the other to clock out? and
>then
>the middle (which I assume is the cap) connected to gnd?

Yes, very simple to hook up.  It doesn't matter which outside pin you
connect to which PIC oscillator pin.  I usually make a socket for
resonators by taking apart a DIP socket so only 3 pins remain.  Then it's
easy to change the resonator to whichever frequency suits the project.
Of course you can buy just a single row of pins socket that can be easily
broken to the length you need, but that's more time waiting for parts to
come in.  Put the resonator close to the PIC on the board, and make sure
the center ground pin has a short path to the PIC ground (such as a
dedicated wire).  I've never had one of those resonators fail to
oscillate, compared to crystals which sometimes need the capacitors to be
just right before they work.

I have a 4
>mhz
>and a 10 mhz resonator does it follow that i use xt and hs mode
>respectively on these?

Yes.  Often the 10 MHz will work on the XT setting, but its best to
follow the recommendations.


By the way, what is the differences between the f84 and the
>c84? I know one uses flash and the other eeprom or something like
>that.
>But are there any assembly instruction differences?  The reason I ask
>is
>that I now have one of each and was wondering if I could use the same
>code
>for two different chips.

Any C84 code will work in a F84.  Just set the programmer for the proper
chip, and make sure the fuse settings are right.  The F84 has (32 bytes?)
more RAM than the C84.  In order to use both, keep your RAM use within
the C84 memory map.  That is the only difference between the chips as far
as software is concerned.

1997\10\30@040611 by mike
flavicon
picon face
In message  <Pine.GSO.3.96.971029194308.29751C-100000@orionc0>
.....PICLISTKILLspamspam.....MITVMA.MIT.EDU writes:
> I'm back again for a few more question.  Now I just got in some ceramic
> resonators w/ capacitors.  What's the hardware set-up for these?  Is it
> the outer two pins one to clock in and the other to clock out? and then
> the middle (which I assume is the cap) connected to gnd?

This is correct, although on the 18 pin PICS it is easier to
connect the centre pin to VCC - it will still work.


Regards,


Mike Watson

1997\10\30@162835 by Eric van Es

flavicon
face
Tom Cox wrote:

> Subjects like "help for beginner" and "newbie question" probably attract
> some readers and repel others.  I'd guess you'd have better results with a
> subject that is more informative, like "ceramic oscillator problem."

Seeing that _so_ many people suffer with crystals etc to clock the PIC: would
anyone be interested if I (or someone else) made a page on the web with all
the postings on oscillators there. This can save us some bandwidth since this
question pops up about every 5 weeks....

Any takers? I'm pretty busy lately.....

--
Eric van Es               | Cape Town, South Africa
EraseMEvanesspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTilink.nis.za | http://www.nis.za/~vanes
LOOKING FOR TEMPORARY / HOLIDAY ACCOMODATION?
http://www.nis.za/~vanes/accom.htm

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1997 , 1998 only
- Today
- New search...