Searching \ for 'Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=
Search entire site for: 'Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]'
2000\04\14@062031 by Roland Andrag

flavicon
face
Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
.125 and .25W varieties..

but.. WHY?

Roland

2000\04\14@063105 by Arthur

flavicon
face
used as wire link's on pcb's as auto-insert marchine's do not like wire
links.
Also supplied smd for same reason.
Art
----- Original Message -----
From: Roland Andrag <spam_OUTrandragTakeThisOuTspamICON.CO.ZA>
To: <.....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 11:12 AM
Subject: Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]


> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland

2000\04\14@063449 by Martin Hill

picon face
I assume you mean why the different power values rather than why
have zero ohm resistors.  In case you are not.  They are used for
links on boards for use with automatic insertion machines, the
different sizes I'm not so sure about.  Check the tolerance.  I had
some zero ohm 5% resistors.  They were out of spec, so be carefull
:-)

Martin.

> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland

2000\04\14@063705 by Milan v.d. Swaluw

flavicon
face
Could it have something to do with the size perhaps ?

But even a wire has resistance, so Ohm's law always works...

Milan.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Roland Andrag wrote:

> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland
>

***********************************
Milan v.d. Swaluw, pe1ryyspamKILLspamamsat.org
Phone: +31-6-29025090
***********************************

2000\04\14@065605 by Alan B Pearce

face picon face
> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland
>

As already said, they are used as wire links by auto insertion gear, because
they are easier to handle than plain wire. The different wattages really only
refer to the body size moulded onto the piece of wire, which is what the machine
uses to handle it.

2000\04\14@070019 by John Maud

picon face
Alan B Pearce wrote:
>
> > Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> > .125 and .25W varieties..
> >
> > but.. WHY?
> >
> > Roland
> >
>
> As already said, they are used as wire links by auto insertion gear, because
> they are easier to handle than plain wire. The different wattages really only
> refer to the body size moulded onto the piece of wire, which is what the machine
> uses to handle it.

They just look much more professional than pieces of wire, too.

John

2000\04\14@072552 by Thomas C. Sefranek

face picon face
Roland Andrag wrote:

> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland

Size of the jumper.

--
 *
 |  __O    Thomas C. Sefranek   .....tcsKILLspamspam.....cmcorp.com
 |_-\<,_   Amateur Radio Operator: WA1RHP
 (*)/ (*)  Bicycle mobile on 145.41, 448.625 MHz

hamradio.cmcorp.com/inventory/Inventory.html
http://www.harvardrepeater.org

2000\04\14@074430 by paulb

flavicon
face
Roland Andrag wrote:

> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm
> in .125 and .25W varieties..
> but.. WHY?

 Ask not why?, but watt?  :)
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.

2000\04\14@075056 by Andrew Kunz

flavicon
face
(Guess only 1 person got the funny side of this besides me.)

You got 5% ones out of tolerance, huh?  That must have been a software error.

Andy

2000\04\14@082620 by mike

flavicon
face
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:23:11 GMT0BST, you wrote:

>I assume you mean why the different power values rather than why
>have zero ohm resistors.  In case you are not.  They are used for
>links on boards for use with automatic insertion machines, the
>different sizes I'm not so sure about.  Check the tolerance.  I had
>some zero ohm 5% resistors.  They were out of spec, so be carefull
>:-)
.. The Farnell Catalogue a couple of years ago did actually state a 5%
tolerance on zero ohm resistors.....!
>Martin.
>
>> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
>> .125 and .25W varieties..
>>
>> but.. WHY?
Different physical sizes I suspect

2000\04\14@103520 by hgraf

picon face
> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?

    They are probably used as a replacement for jumpers. It's much easier
for a machine to place a resistor that just happens to be zero ohms than it
is to place a small wire. Just my guess. TTYL

2000\04\14@120103 by Brian Aase

flavicon
face
> > Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> > .125 and .25W varieties..
> >
> > but.. WHY?
>
>      They are probably used as a replacement for jumpers. It's much easier
> for a machine to place a resistor that just happens to be zero ohms than it
> is to place a small wire. Just my guess. TTYL

One very useful function is to re-configure a PCB layout for a
variety of similar functions.  I'm working on a project right now
where the same PCB will be used in three different end
products.  Jumpers are inserted (or not) to configure the PCB
for each model.

2000\04\14@121724 by Kieran Miller

flavicon
face
>>> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
>>> .125 and .25W varieties..
>>>
>>> but.. WHY?
>>
>> They are probably used as a replacement for jumpers.

IMHO, I think the original poster was asking why zero ohm links were given
power ratings...

I guess that the answer is that even though they're supposed to be dead
shorts, in practice they may exhibit some resistance - say 0.01 ohms for
instance. In this case, if it was passing a current of 3.5A, the 'zero ohm
link' would need to be rated at at least 125mW.

Kieran

2000\04\14@174019 by Thomas McGahee

flavicon
face
If the thing is supposed to be ZERO ohms and it is
actually .0000000000000000000000000001 ohms, then the
relative error expressed as a percent is (difference
divided by desired value) * 100.

Ummmm, let's see, now, that's .00000000000000000000001
divided by zero, which gives us infinity. Now we multiply
infinity by 100 to get the percent error and we get....

DangBlastit! My stupid calculator refuses to give me the
proper answer.

Fr. Tom McGahee

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Kunz <EraseMEakunzspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTTDIPOWER.COM>
To: PICLISTspamspam_OUTMITVMA.MIT.EDU <@spam@PICLISTKILLspamspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Friday, April 14, 2000 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]


>(Guess only 1 person got the funny side of this besides me.)
>
>You got 5% ones out of tolerance, huh?  That must have been a software error.
>
>Andy

2000\04\14@180918 by hgraf

picon face
> If the thing is supposed to be ZERO ohms and it is
> actually .0000000000000000000000000001 ohms, then the
> relative error expressed as a percent is (difference
> divided by desired value) * 100.
>
> Ummmm, let's see, now, that's .00000000000000000000001
> divided by zero, which gives us infinity. Now we multiply
> infinity by 100 to get the percent error and we get....
>
> DangBlastit! My stupid calculator refuses to give me the
> proper answer.

    Or, even better, if the tolerance is +/- 5%, then it's possible that
there are some resistors with negative resistance, no THAT would be
usefull!! :) TTYL

2000\04\14@181539 by David VanHorn

flavicon
face
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1


>     Or, even better, if the tolerance is +/- 5%, then it's possible that
>there are some resistors with negative resistance, no THAT would be
>usefull!! :) TTYL
>

Then QC should reject the lot, as the sample mean and standard dev would
indicate!

- --
Are you an ISP?  Tired of spam?
http://www.spamwhack.com  A pre-emptive strike against spam!

Where's Dave? http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kc6ete-9

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 6.5.2 for non-commercial use <http://www.pgp.com>

iQA/AwUBOPevJ4FlGDz1l6VWEQKAnwCaAqs9Q3fPSEwU1V+BdGiwrpilPBkAn2b+
v/YNxQ5eLINQBBIkMtmEB7vJ
=NGE+
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2000\04\15@083531 by Alok Dubey

flavicon
face
> i always thought they were a sort of a fuse / current limiting kind of
> thng
> Alok
>
>
> {Original Message removed}

2000\04\15@232552 by Giles

picon face
> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm in
> .125 and .25W varieties..
>
> but.. WHY?
>
> Roland
>

I use them by adding several together until they reach the particular "0" I
like, then I place a load and get take the voltage drop (usually about 0.0
VDC)  Then I multiply the current (usually several amps, depending on power
supply I am using)  with the voltage, and can't seem to get the wattage
correct.  (something wrong with my formula, still working on fixing my
calculator, keeps putting an "E" on the LCD)

Anyway, be sure to buy only 1% 0ohm resistors, and be sure to use metal film
as carbon tends to drift.

I think you have been slammed with many real reason.
Best regards,
Giles

2000\04\16@180943 by briang

flavicon
face
In-Reply-To: <KILLspam852568C1.0040C3FB.00KILLspamspamtransdev.com>

Andrew Kunz <RemoveMEakunzTakeThisOuTspamTDIPOWER.COM> wrote:
> You got 5% ones out of tolerance, huh?  That must have been a software error.

Software error ????

Mathematically they are bound to be out of tolerance if they are marked 0 ohm
5% tolerance.

A resistor marked zero ohms is bound to be infinity % out of tolerance until
room temperature super conductors are invented.

Brian Gregory.
spamBeGonebriangspamBeGonespamcix.co.uk

2000\04\17@101931 by Roland Andrag

flavicon
face
> >>> Hello.. Just saw that zero ohm resistors are available from Royal Ohm
in
> >>> .125 and .25W varieties..
> >>>
> >>> but.. WHY?
> >>
> >> They are probably used as a replacement for jumpers.
>
> IMHO, I think the original poster was asking why zero ohm links were given
> power ratings...

Being the original poster, I can tell you that I was very puzzled when I
read 'zero ohm resistor'.  The fact that they come in different power
ratings was just the cherry on top <g>.

Thanks for all the replies - the usefullness of zero ohm resistors is now
firmly established....

Roland

2000\04\17@102801 by Alok Dubey

flavicon
face
well are u sure they are not fuses....
Alok

{Quote hidden}

2000\04\17@151426 by Harold M Hallikainen

picon face
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:07:00 +0100 Brian Gregory
<briangEraseMEspam.....CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK> writes:
> In-Reply-To: <EraseME852568C1.0040C3FB.00spamtransdev.com>
>
> Andrew Kunz <RemoveMEakunzEraseMEspamEraseMETDIPOWER.COM> wrote:
> > You got 5% ones out of tolerance, huh?  That must have been a
> software error.
>
> Software error ????
>
> Mathematically they are bound to be out of tolerance if they are
> marked 0 ohm
> 5% tolerance.
>
> A resistor marked zero ohms is bound to be infinity % out of
> tolerance until
> room temperature super conductors are invented.
>
> Brian Gregory.
> RemoveMEbriangspam_OUTspamKILLspamcix.co.uk


       Yes, but I want some of the ones that are at -5% (though I guess -5% of
zero doesn't make it much of a negative resistance).

Harold


FCC Rules Online at http://hallikainen.com/FccRules
Lighting control for theatre and television at http://www.dovesystems.com

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
dl.http://www.juno.com/get/tagj.

2000\04\17@152047 by Andrew Kunz

flavicon
face
But if you gang them together, you can run a Cray off a penlite cell.

Andy









Harold M Hallikainen <RemoveMEharoldhallikainenTakeThisOuTspamspamJUNO.COM> on 04/17/2000 02:08:46 PM

Please respond to pic microcontroller discussion list <EraseMEPICLISTspamspamspamBeGoneMITVMA.MIT.EDU>








To:      RemoveMEPICLISTKILLspamspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU

cc:      (bcc: Andrew Kunz/TDI_NOTES)



Subject: Re: Zero Ohm Resistor [OT]








On Sun, 16 Apr 2000 23:07:00 +0100 Brian Gregory
<briangSTOPspamspamspam_OUTCIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK> writes:
{Quote hidden}

       Yes, but I want some of the ones that are at -5% (though I guess -5% of
zero doesn't make it much of a negative resistance).

Harold


FCC Rules Online at http://hallikainen.com/FccRules
Lighting control for theatre and television at http://www.dovesystems.com

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk!  For your FREE software, visit:
dl.http://www.juno.com/get/tagj.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2000 , 2001 only
- Today
- New search...