Searching \ for 'Volta? Was [OT] SI Standards (again!!!!!!) - Was R' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=
Search entire site for: 'Volta? Was [OT] SI Standards (again!!!!!!) - Was R'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Volta? Was [OT] SI Standards (again!!!!!!) - Was R'
1999\11\02@171732 by Dennis Plunkett

flavicon
face
At 10:18 2/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Wagner,
>
>> their discoverer's names as Hz for Hertz, V for
>> Voltaire, H for Henry
>
>The volt is named after Alessandro Volta, who
>published details about the first working battery in
>1800.
>
>(I don't think Voltaire was involved at all in
>electronics...)
>

The question is what electronics.
It seems that A. Volta is said to be the farther of the battery, but
perhaps not. There has been the occasional (And not very well documented)
unearthing of Roman goodies that appear to be batteries is clay pots.

Dennis



{Quote hidden}

1999\11\02@180238 by bill

flavicon
face
> The question is what electronics.
> It seems that A. Volta is said to be the farther of the battery, but
> perhaps not. There has been the occasional (And not very well
documented)
> unearthing of Roman goodies that appear to be batteries is clay pots.

In the USA, it is widely known that Christopher Columbus was not the first to
discover the Americas, but still it is his name that is most often cited. Being
first isn't everything. Sometimes it's the discoverer with the most publicity
who makes the biggest difference. And sometimes it's a matter of whether
the world is ready to pay attention. I think some discoverers/inventors have
gone unnoticed simply because they did their work at a time in which the
world just wasn't interested. Maybe because there was not yet any practical
way to use the idea (like some of Leonardo Davinci's ideas that needed
motors or stronger/lighter materials before they could be practical). Maybe
because the discovery conflicted with prevailing views such that it was
condemned as heresy and suppresed. Maybe because written language
was so scarce that the idea simply got lost before it was widely known. Who
knows. But it does seem that some moments in history are "ripe" for a
discovery that if not discovered by the person who is now famous for it,
would soon have been discovered by someone else.  And at other times, the
world just isn't ready.


---
                                       Peace,
                                       William Kitchen
                                       spam_OUTbillTakeThisOuTspamiglobal.net

The future is ours to create.

1999\11\03@151700 by Eric Schlaepfer

picon face
Hi Dennis,

> The question is what electronics.
> It seems that A. Volta is said to be the farther of
> the battery, but
> perhaps not. There has been the occasional (And not
> very well documented)
> unearthing of Roman goodies that appear to be
> batteries is clay pots.

Okay, so Volta re-invented the battery. Batteries in
ancient times seem to be used for medical purposes in
areas where electric eels were not available.

The batteries were made from a clay jar sealed with
tar. The electrolyte is long gone, but some people
theorize it was vinegar.

Later,

Eric

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com

1999\11\03@160504 by bill

flavicon
face
> Okay, so Volta re-invented the battery. Batteries in
> ancient times seem to be used for medical purposes in
> areas where electric eels were not available.

Electroplating has also been suggested. I vaguely recall a TV documentary
that mentioned ancient artifacts with thin gold plating, and that the clay jars
that looked suspiciously like batteries might be part of the solution to the
mystery of how this plating was accomplished.


---
                                       Peace,
                                       William Kitchen
                                       .....billKILLspamspam@spam@iglobal.net

The future is ours to create.

1999\11\03@163245 by Dave VanHorn

flavicon
face
> Electroplating has also been suggested. I vaguely recall a TV documentary
> that mentioned ancient artifacts with thin gold plating, and that the clay
jars
> that looked suspiciously like batteries might be part of the solution to
the
> mystery of how this plating was accomplished.

Sounds like human nature at work.
Remember Archimedes? His specific gravity test was to detect plated, base
metal, or alloyed substitutions..

Magical Transmutor, turns silver into gold! Only 1000 drachmas!
City market, ask for Amal!

1999\11\03@163628 by Dennis Plunkett

flavicon
face
At 12:16 3/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Seening that we are on our policical correctness trail, the term is CELL
not BATTERY. Shit Wagner, see what you have done, now go and undo it all,
you naughty little man <VBG>




Dennis


>
>=====
>
>__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Bid and sell for free at http://auctions.yahoo.com
>
>

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...