Searching \ for 'Slightly Offtopic, but PIC related.' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Slightly Offtopic, but PIC related.'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Slightly Offtopic, but PIC related.'
1997\08\22@050853 by Robert Walker

flavicon
face
Hi,


       In one of my PIC projects, I am looking at connecting a PIC system
       via a modem to the standard phone line.

       My problem here is that my phone line is also used for voice.

       Is there a mechanism that can be built or that I could buy that
       would detect that it was not a modem and disconnect my PIC project,
       thus allowing me to talk to the person on the phone.

       I know I could get two phone lines, but I am looking at attempting
       to provide a system that could sit on the side and wait until
       I dial into the PIC system by modem.

       If there is such a product, would it work with phone lines in
       Australia.

Regards,


Robert.

1997\08\22@081921 by Robert Walker

flavicon
face
part 0 713 bytes content-type:TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII
Hi,


       In one of my PIC projects, I am looking at connecting a PIC system
       via a modem to the standard phone line.

       My problem here is that my phone line is also used for voice.

       Is there a mechanism that can be built or that I could buy that
       would detect that it was not a modem and disconnect my PIC project,
       thus allowing me to talk to the person on the phone.

       I know I could get two phone lines, but I am looking at attempting
       to provide a system that could sit on the side and wait until
       I dial into the PIC system by modem.

       If there is such a product, would it work with phone lines in
       Australia.

Regards,


Robert.

1997\08\22@084448 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
>
> Hi,

Hello.

>
>
>         In one of my PIC projects, I am looking at connecting a PIC system
>         via a modem to the standard phone line.

That sounds like fun.

>
>         My problem here is that my phone line is also used for voice.

As are most.

{Quote hidden}

Robert,

A good path the pursue is Distinctive Ring. This service adds a second number
and a different ring for a small monthly fee. There are circuits that will
route calls based on which ring is coming though. But anyone with PIC
experience can put one together quite easily using an optoioslator, a relay
and a PIC. The PIC would monitor the optoisolator for ring voltage and
would monitor the frquency of the ring. When it detected the correct ring
for the modem based device, the relay is then activated which connects the
phone line to the modem. The modem will then pick up successive rings
and answer.

Now that I think about it, you can probably integrate this into your existing
project simply by turning off the auto answer feature of the the modem. The
modem will then present RING strings for each ring. Your PIC can simply then
monitor the frequency of the RING strings and tell the modem to pick up when
the correct RING comes through.

I have a couple of ZyXEL 1496B modems that has distinctive ring detection
built in. I use districtive RING as my fax line (via the modem). Quite useful.

Hope this helps,

BAJ

1997\08\22@113322 by David Schmidt

flavicon
face
Unless you have Pacific Bell as your phone provider.  They DO NOT offer
distinctive
ring.  'We would rather sell you another phone line' is a quote I got from
their
customer representative when I kept pursuing their reason not to offer it.
Dave

>A good path the pursue is Distinctive Ring. This service adds a second number
>and a different ring for a small monthly fee. There are circuits that will

1997\08\22@115648 by Dooley, Tom

flavicon
face
part 0 2263 bytes
We use the device so our customers do not have to have a second line installed for our control systems.

Thanks
Tom

----------
From:   Byron A Jeff[SMTP:spam_OUTbyronTakeThisOuTspamCC.GATECH.EDU]
Sent:   Friday, August 22, 1997 8:43 AM
To:     .....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:        Re: Slightly Offtopic, but PIC related.

>
> Hi,

Hello.

>
>
>         In one of my PIC projects, I am looking at connecting a PIC system
>         via a modem to the standard phone line.

That sounds like fun.

>
>         My problem here is that my phone line is also used for voice.

As are most.

{Quote hidden}

Robert,

A good path the pursue is Distinctive Ring. This service adds a second number
and a different ring for a small monthly fee. There are circuits that will
route calls based on which ring is coming though. But anyone with PIC
experience can put one together quite easily using an optoioslator, a relay
and a PIC. The PIC would monitor the optoisolator for ring voltage and
would monitor the frquency of the ring. When it detected the correct ring
for the modem based device, the relay is then activated which connects the
phone line to the modem. The modem will then pick up successive rings
and answer.

Now that I think about it, you can probably integrate this into your existing
project simply by turning off the auto answer feature of the the modem. The
modem will then present RING strings for each ring. Your PIC can simply then
monitor the frequency of the RING strings and tell the modem to pick up when
the correct RING comes through.

I have a couple of ZyXEL 1496B modems that has distinctive ring detection
built in. I use districtive RING as my fax line (via the modem). Quite useful.

Hope this helps,

BAJ


1997\08\22@124917 by peter

flavicon
face
Dooley, Tom wrote:
>
> The company I work for makes a product that you can call into and it will
route the call to either a modem /fax or voice line. You have a local device
that you hook to your phone line and  when you call the device in the field it
will first see if the call is for the modem or the voice port.
>
> We use the device so our customers do not have to have a second line installed
for our control systems.
{Quote hidden}

snipped full reply from Byron
and the original posting in full

also snipped

> application/ms-tnef
> Encoding: base64

Dear Tom, I'm very happy for you
but I (and I suspect most others on the PICLIST) do not
want a message in my inbox of this size when just a few
lines could have given more useful info
ie
The Company I work for (Name address phone)
makes this product that costs $1-$1000
etc.

EraseMEPeterspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTcousens.her.forthnet.gr

Having trouble unsubscribing ?? Then maybe skydiving is the sport for
you !!

1997\08\22@153551 by Engineering Department

flavicon
face
< Peter Cousens writes about a response by a "listmate"
<snip>
> Dear Tom, I'm very happy for you
> but I (and I suspect most others on the PICLIST) do not
> want a message in my inbox of this size when just a few
> lines could have given more useful info
> ie
> The Company I work for (Name address phone)
> makes this product that costs $1-$1000
> etc.


I, for one, found the posting useful.

Has anyone used a PIC to send a canned message
out on BAUDOT and detect a response?  The idea is
to identify deaf callers using TDDs.

Cheers,

Win Wiencke
ImageLogicspamspam_OUTibm.net

1997\08\22@160820 by Philip Restuccia

flavicon
face
{Quote hidden}

I would be very interested in this, too, being deaf myself.  I had
planned to do something like this for awhile now, incorporating it into
my (currently *very* bare-bones) home automation system.

Please post any replies to the list, or at least include me in e-mailed
responses :-)

Thanks.

       Philip Restuccia
       KILLspamphilip.restucciaKILLspamspamperi.com

1997\08\22@195052 by Harold Hallikainen

picon face
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:31:14 -0700 David Schmidt <RemoveMEdschmidtTakeThisOuTspamRAIN.ORG>
writes:
>Unless you have Pacific Bell as your phone provider.  They DO NOT
>offer
>distinctive
>ring.  'We would rather sell you another phone line' is a quote I got
>from
>their
>customer representative when I kept pursuing their reason not to offer
>it.
>Dave
>


       Yep, Pacific Bell doesn't offer it here either.  I've always
thought distinctive ring was a new name for the old party line service
where different ring patterns were used for different parties.  Of
course, they later used different ringer frequencies and ringing one side
or the other to ground to separate out the rings to the different
parties.  Maybe you can order a couple numbers on a party line and sort
out the rings that way.
       I haven't looked at all the data that comes down caller ID, but
it SEEMS that it otta include the number being called.  This would be
more machine friendly than distinctive ringing.  Sort of a cheap directed
inward dialing.

Harold

1997\08\23@053109 by Mike Ghormley

flavicon
face
Robert Walker wrote:

> Is there a mechanism that can be built or that I could buy that
> would detect that it was not a modem and disconnect my PIC project,
> thus allowing me to talk to the person on the phone.

JDR Microdevices at:

       http://www.jdr.com/JDR/

They have a FAX/Modem/Phone Switch that is placed between the phone line and the
three devices.  When it detects a ring, it takes the phone off-hook and listens
for a tone.  If the tone is a FAX tone, it sends a ring signal to the FAX
machine
just as though it had come from the phone line and channels Tip & Ring to the
FAX.  It does much the same for a modem tone.  If it hears neither, then it
rings
the telephone.  It has a bunch of other "spiffy" features.

Pricey at about $90US, and I don't know if it works down under, but at least it
is a lead.

Michael

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1997 , 1998 only
- Today
- New search...