Searching \ for 'Relay Control' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/motors.htm?key=relay
Search entire site for: 'Relay Control'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Relay Control'
1998\06\30@205829 by Brian Gracia

picon face
Hello from New Orleans,

I have an application where I have to controll a sprinkler valve rated at
18V ac with a max holding currrent of 450ma.  I am using a pic 16F84.  I
thought about a relay.  I got one from the "Rat Shack" rated for 5v control
and contact rating of 125V ac @ 1 amp.

Can anyone help me with reccomendations?

Brian

1998\06\30@230206 by parkiss

picon face
I can recommend Radio Shack's solid state relay, #276-310.  Works
great straight off an I/O pin with current-limiting resistor.
Handles 400 VAC peak, 3A max.  I've used it to control 24 VAC
sprinkler valves with great success.

Steve

On 30 Jun 98 at 19:54, Brian Gracia wrote:

> I have an application where I have to controll a sprinkler valve
> rated at 18V ac with a max holding currrent of 450ma.  I am using
> a pic 16F84.  I thought about a relay...Can anyone help me with
> reccomendations?

1998\06\30@232132 by Chris Eddy

flavicon
face
Hey man, I have a far out idea.

Why not use four transistors in a bridge, and run a bipolar square wave over
the darned thing.  AC solenoids don't like straight DC much, but a PWM bridge
would satisfy the solenoid from your unregulated DC.  This assumes of course
that you have access to both leads of the solenoid.

The competing solutions would be the ubiquitous relay and the triac.  Problem
with the triac is that in order to trigger, you really must have a MOC3010 or
sumpthin like it.  Add the two together and it can be less competitive.

So I looked in Mouser, and found the SK9230 1A bridge chip for 1.60 in singles.
Remember that Mouser is real high in low quantities. I'll bet you could build a
simple bridge circuit for 50 cents.

Chris Eddy
Pioneer Microsystems, Inc.

Brian Gracia wrote:

{Quote hidden}


'Relay Control'
1998\07\01@085110 by Peter L. Peres
picon face
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Brian Gracia wrote:

> Hello from New Orleans,
>
> I have an application where I have to controll a sprinkler valve rated at
> 18V ac with a max holding currrent of 450ma.  I am using a pic 16F84.  I
> thought about a relay.  I got one from the "Rat Shack" rated for 5v control
> and contact rating of 125V ac @ 1 amp.
>
> Can anyone help me with reccomendations?
>
> Brian

Wouldn't a small triac and a pulse transformer driven directly by the PIC
do your job ? You don't really need zero crossing detection so pulsing the
PIC output at 1 kHz all the time would do it. A timer interrupt could do
that for you.

hope this helps,

       Peter

1998\07\02@220245 by MATTHEW REID

flavicon
face
part 0 967 bytes

   Matt




-----Original Message-----
From:   Peter L. Peres [SMTP:spam_OUTplpTakeThisOuTspamACTCOM.CO.IL]
Sent:   Wednesday, July 01, 1998 4:43 AM
To:     .....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Subject:        Re: Relay Control

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Brian Gracia wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Wouldn't a small triac and a pulse transformer driven directly by the PIC
do your job ? You don't really need zero crossing detection so pulsing the
PIC output at 1 kHz all the time would do it. A timer interrupt could do
that for you.

hope this helps,

       Peter
Attachment converted: wonderland:H2OCON.jpg (JPEG/JVWR) (0000E396)

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1998 , 1999 only
- Today
- New search...