Searching \ for 'Re [OT]: Foreign Visits (was: At last the truth ab' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=foreign+visits+was
Search entire site for: ': Foreign Visits (was: At last the truth ab'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Re [OT]: Foreign Visits (was: At last the truth ab'
2007\08\29@205553 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
> Well you *can* do it here, but not legally... my record was driving
> home along the M4 at 02:30 on a Sunday morning, many years ago.
> There wasn't
> another car in sight in either directon.  The car was perfectly
> stable and smooth, but the bridges go past *really* quickly!  ;-)  I
> took my foot off the
> throttle and just let it slow down to the speed limit at its own
> rate - it took about a mile.

Europe.
Two lanes.
Very straight.
Less wide than many of NZ's motorways.
Sit in right lane at 130 - 140 kph.
Every now and then there's a woosh and something big and black goes
past at 100 kph odd differential speed.
Sometime >> 100 kph differential.

Approach car in front.
Loom back with great care.
Pull out, overtake get back in. As quickly as possible.
No problems.
Left lane is left clear at all times by we slow ones.

Pull out.
Up to 140+ kph.
Overtake.
Decide to stay out a little longer and overtake another car.
Whoops.
LARGE black car is glued to back bumper.
Unlike NZ, no flashing of lights, no horn.
Just stays glued to back bumper at 140 kph+
Pull right promptly.
Woosh. Gone.

Welcome to Germany.

No speed limit at all on the autobahns in many places.
I did 160 kph+ just once just to have done it.
Peugeot 307 Skywagon manual diesel.
A marvellous car. Managed 160 kph OK but I suspect it didn't have too
much more left.
Best feature (out of many good features) was the all glass roof. Next
best was the large airconditioned glove box. On the then hottest
summer on record the Brie, butter and several 1.5l bottles of Coke
stayed nice and cool.




       Russell


2007\08\30@042450 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>LARGE black car is glued to back bumper.
>Unlike NZ, no flashing of lights, no horn.
>Just stays glued to back bumper at 140 kph+

The 'polite' way of indicating you want to get past is to put the left
indicator on, apparently.

>Pull right promptly.
>Woosh. Gone.
>
>Welcome to Germany.

ain't that the truth. I do remember puttering along the autobahn outside
Stuttgart, pedal to the metal in my old diesel Escort, just managing 100mph,
and woosh, ... woosh as a merc and a jaguar XJ went through on the
electronic speed limiter.

>No speed limit at all on the autobahns in many places.
>I did 160 kph+ just once just to have done it.
>Peugeot 307 Skywagon manual diesel.
>A marvellous car. Managed 160 kph OK but I suspect it didn't have too
>much more left.

Back in February I did manage sustained 200kph (120mph) in my Ford Focus
diesel estate. Still felt there was a little bit of pedal motion left, so
might have got another 5kph if I had really tried. It was a nice new bit of
autobahn with hardly any traffic on it.

We did also strike a multilane piece through a hilly area north of
Nuremburg, which was restricted to 80kph. The road was on a grade, and had a
number of tunnels through the hills. Also many signs about speed cameras.
The German discipline meant that everyone did keep to the 80 kph.

2007\08\30@060915 by Peter Bindels

picon face
On 30/08/2007, Alan B. Pearce <spam_OUTA.B.PearceTakeThisOuTspamrl.ac.uk> wrote:
> >LARGE black car is glued to back bumper.
> >Unlike NZ, no flashing of lights, no horn.
> >Just stays glued to back bumper at 140 kph+
>
> The 'polite' way of indicating you want to get past is to put the left
> indicator on, apparently.

The least polite way I've seen is putting on your left indicator,
sticking to your bumper (at less than 4 meters), flashing lights
(being fairly pointless as I couldn't see them directly anymore) and
using the horn all at the same time.

{Quote hidden}

My first car did 189 on the counter there, which was probably around
160/170 realistically. My current car (Seat Ibiza 1.9tdi topping out
at 195) did a nice 195 continually there once. It's odd to see a car
coming up to you at high speed when you're doing nigh 200km/h
yourself.

> We did also strike a multilane piece through a hilly area north of
> Nuremburg, which was restricted to 80kph. The road was on a grade, and had a
> number of tunnels through the hills. Also many signs about speed cameras.
> The German discipline meant that everyone did keep to the 80 kph.

The moment we got to the border (of the Netherlands - country of speed
camera's) both me and the motorcycle driver next to me (who was
overtaking me with about 220-250) plummeted the brakes and we slowed
to 100km/h within a few seconds. Oddly enough, people in the
Netherlands never can seem to care about speed limits. It's more
crowded too... I heard a traffic analyst proclaim that "given the
2-second distance, a top amount of 1800 cars per lane could move
through a given motorway at any given time. We have measured an
average of 2200 during rush hour but cannot give an explanation."

Also drove through a road works thing in germany once. It was very
long and the speed limit was only 60, but everybody kept to it. Until
the end of the speed limit, after which most cars launched off.

Regards,
Peter

2007\08\30@065616 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Peter,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:12:35 +0200, Peter Bindels wrote:

> The moment we got to the border (of the Netherlands - country of speed
> camera's)

Either I was very lucky, or they don't have cameras on the main trunk roads - I once drove from Amsterdam to Calais mostly above the limit (I had a
boat to catch and the traffic in Amsterdam had lost me about half an hour that I thought I had in hand), and never got nicked for it.  As it turned out,
I got there in time for the SeaCat (the last trip of the night), but it was cancelled due to weather, and I was transferred onto a conventional ferry.

> Oddly enough, people in the Netherlands never can seem to care about speed limits.

I rest my case!  :-)

> It's more
> crowded too... I heard a traffic analyst proclaim that "given the
> 2-second distance, a top amount of 1800 cars per lane could move
> through a given motorway at any given time.
> We have measured an
> average of 2200 during rush hour but cannot give an explanation."

I can enlighten them:  Dutch drivers are raving mad!  :-)  I was told this by a taxi driver in Amsterdam, and saw it for myself.  If you leave a 15 foot
gap between you and the car in front and someone has a car that's 14'11" long, they will move into that gap - at any speed!  2-second gap?  In my
experience in the Netherlands you're lucky if you you look in your mirror and can see anything below the top of the bonnet of the car behind.

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


2007\08\30@080009 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>I can enlighten them:  Dutch drivers are raving mad!  :-)
>I was told this by a taxi driver in Amsterdam, and saw it
>for myself.  If you leave a 15 foot gap between you and
>the car in front and someone has a car that's 14'11" long,
>they will move into that gap

Sounds like they learnt technique in Auckland, NZ, during the rush hour ...
;)

Got quite good there at following with just less than a car length gap to
the car in front, while travelling between 0 and 20 mph .. ;)

2007\08\30@082753 by Peter Todd

picon face
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:12:35AM +0200, Peter Bindels wrote:
> > The 'polite' way of indicating you want to get past is to put the left
> > indicator on, apparently.
>
> The least polite way I've seen is putting on your left indicator,
> sticking to your bumper (at less than 4 meters), flashing lights
> (being fairly pointless as I couldn't see them directly anymore) and
> using the horn all at the same time.

Ha, I've been warned that my grandfather once said "What? I'm just
giving the guy in front a bit of a nudge." although with more usage of
impolite Aussie slang.

Whenever I visit I now bring a good backpack, good hiking boots and
quickly locate the nearest public transit...

- --
http://petertodd.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFG1q9K3bMhDbI9xWQRAgScAJ43o/xvbugUy88Kh4UsiUWjhSWrRwCfXSnO
BJrnXrWfheS5BfMVtztulu8=
=iha2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...