Searching \ for 'RS-232 Data Logging' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/serials.htm?key=rs%2D232
Search entire site for: 'RS-232 Data Logging'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'RS-232 Data Logging'
2000\03\02@181002 by swsst16+

picon face
Hello all,

       I am working on a project that will sample data from a device at a
predetermined rate and store this data to a EEPROM. Later, I want to be able
to recall this data and use an RS-232 link to upload the data to a PC and
store it to a data file. Ideally, I would like write this data into an MS
EXCEL/Access type format. I have successfully constructed and tested the I2C
hardware/sofware nesseccary to write & read data from the EEPROM. I also
just finished testing the RS-232 link to my PC. What I am looking for is
software that will either a) store the uploaded data to a file or b) store
this data to an Excel spreadsheet.

       Does anyone out there know of any Rs-232 software &/or information that
would be helpful? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Shawn Springer

2000\03\02@202657 by Ryan Pogge

flavicon
face
Hi, I have a simple visual basic program which I worte to capture the data
in a similar project to yours, it just saves it as a text file though.

I am looking for a better solution, the data is dates and times,
I would like to be able to save it to some type of file which can be used to
generate
charts and graphs of the data, I have looked around but cant find any
programs that do this.

Can anyone point me to some PC software that will take some type of data
file and alow me to create graphs of the data? i.e. bar graphs ...pie charts
etc...

thanks,
Ryan

> Hello all,
>
>         I am working on a project that will sample data from a device at a
> predetermined rate and store this data to a EEPROM. Later, I want to be
able
> to recall this data and use an RS-232 link to upload the data to a PC and
> store it to a data file. Ideally, I would like write this data into an MS
> EXCEL/Access type format. I have successfully constructed and tested the
I2C
> hardware/sofware nesseccary to write & read data from the EEPROM. I also
> just finished testing the RS-232 link to my PC. What I am looking for is
> software that will either a) store the uploaded data to a file or b) store
> this data to an Excel spreadsheet.
>
>         Does anyone out there know of any Rs-232 software &/or information
that
> would be helpful? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>
> Shawn Springer

2000\03\02@222431 by Robert A. LaBudde

flavicon
face
<x-flowed>At 08:22 PM 3/2/00 -0800, Ryan wrote:
>Hi, I have a simple visual basic program which I worte to capture the data
>in a similar project to yours, it just saves it as a text file though.
>
>I am looking for a better solution, the data is dates and times,
>I would like to be able to save it to some type of file which can be used to
>generate
>charts and graphs of the data, I have looked around but cant find any
>programs that do this.
>
>Can anyone point me to some PC software that will take some type of data
>file and alow me to create graphs of the data? i.e. bar graphs ...pie charts
>etc...

If you're using VB, why not use Excel or the MSChart control to generate
your graphs?

================================================================
Robert A. LaBudde, PhD, PAS, Dpl. ACAFS  e-mail: spam_OUTralTakeThisOuTspamlcfltd.com
Least Cost Formulations, Ltd.                   URL: http://lcfltd.com/
824 Timberlake Drive                            Tel: 757-467-0954
Virginia Beach, VA 23464-3239                   Fax: 757-467-2947

"Vere scire est per causae scire"
================================================================

</x-flowed>

2000\03\02@222446 by Robert Rolf

picon face
Ryan:
Just about any common spreadsheet program will do what you want.
Yechcel (Excel), Louts (Lotus), and the like will import ASCII files. I
believe Excel has a convert time function (to/from seconds or Julian?)
or you can write a macro to parse the ASCII into something you can use.

How the heck you you graph a date?? I mean, what is the dependent
variable (Y axis)?

Shawn: Just use Hyperterm, Procomm, of the like to capture your
serial data to a file, then import into Excel. Save in XLS format.

Ryan Pogge wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2000\03\02@223722 by Ryan Pogge

flavicon
face
well I need a graph that shows numbers of ocurances PER day(date)
and one that shows number of ocurances in specific time intervals.
and other things also....
Ryan

> How the heck you you graph a date?? I mean, what is the dependent
> variable (Y axis)?

2000\03\02@225000 by Wagner Lipnharski

picon face
I made a small PC assembler program that capture data at PC COM: port
and store in a PC disk file. Program's name is COM2FILE.EXE, runs on
DOS. I don't remember if it runs ok under Windows DOS. If you transfer
data to PC in the correct format, you could import it directly into
Excell and have all your graphs.
http://www.ustr.net/files/download.shmtl
if the above link is not working, try:
http://209.101.97.93/files/download.shtml
we are moving webhosting tonight... :) finaly!
Wagner.

Ryan Pogge wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2000\03\03@104306 by Jim Ham

flavicon
face
There is another solution to this problem that I looked at some time ago.
There's an application called "The Software Wedge" that runs under windows.
It is a DDE server that watches the serial port. You give make a template
that tells the Wedge how to interpret data arriving on the port. It then
formats the data that comes in according to the template and makes it
available to DDE clients also running. For example, you can have a graph in
Excel update in real time from the data arriving via the serial port.

It's pretty flexible, although it wouldn't work for the application we were
evaluating it for. So I don't have any operational experience with it.

Anyway, it's from TAL Technologies, (215)763.5096.

Regards,

Jim Ham


>> Hi, I have a simple visual basic program which I worte to capture the data
>> in a similar project to yours, it just saves it as a text file though.
>>
>> I am looking for a better solution, the data is dates and times,
>> I would like to be able to save it to some type of file which can be
used to
>> generate
>> charts and graphs of the data, I have looked around but cant find any
>> programs that do this.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to some PC software that will take some type of data
>> file and alow me to create graphs of the data? i.e. bar graphs ...pie
charts
>> etc...
>>
>> thanks,
>> Ryan
>
>
Jim Ham, Porcine Associates
(650)326-2669 fax(650)326-1071
"http://www.porcine.com"

2000\03\03@112730 by Andrew Kunz

flavicon
face
I remember looking into the SW Wedge, and it came across as too expensive for
what we were doing.  An excellent product, though!

Andy

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2000 , 2001 only
- Today
- New search...