Searching \ for 'Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=pcat+bus+pin+out
Search entire site for: 'Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips'
1996\11\16@104149 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello,

Does anyone out there know where I could find the specifications
and related info on the PC/AT bus.  I need the pin-out for the
board the plugs into the bus.  Radio Shack sells the PC/XT boards,
but I need to use this device on one of todays machines.  Not an
8088.

Also needed any tips/hints on reading and writing to and from the
bus.  I work with Visual Basic 3.0 Pro for the computer end of my
work.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Brent Pollock
Customized Controller Solutions
(Embedded Control and Windows based interfaces)
spam_OUTccsTakeThisOuTspamewol.com

1996\11\16@111853 by Antti Lukats

flavicon
face
At 10:35 AM 11/16/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone out there know where I could find the specifications
>and related info on the PC/AT bus.  I need the pin-out for the
>board the plugs into the bus.  Radio Shack sells the PC/XT boards,
>but I need to use this device on one of todays machines.  Not an
>8088.

ALT.COMP.HARDWARE.HOMEBUILT FAQ
has lots info links to info you need

http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~msokos1/

might be one locaion where it canbe found

>Also needed any tips/hints on reading and writing to and from the
>bus.  I work with Visual Basic 3.0 Pro for the computer end of my
>work.

you need one DLL to write to IO ports.

cheers antti

1996\11\16@115042 by Byron A Jeff

face picon face
>
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone out there know where I could find the specifications
> and related info on the PC/AT bus.  I need the pin-out for the
> board the plugs into the bus.  Radio Shack sells the PC/XT boards,
> but I need to use this device on one of todays machines.  Not an
> 8088.

Not to be snotty, but an 8 bit card is perfectly acceptable in
"on of todays machines".

In fact this is what I suggest: Buy a regular old 8 bit serial card with
socketed 8050/16450/16550 chip. Remove the chip and plug in a 40 pin
cable. You now have an interface to your box that's 8 bit, decoded, has
an interrupt. You only get 8 I/O port though. Cost about half the price
of the Rat Shack card and has all the decoding done for you. You even get
a crystal clock (usually 1.8432 Mhz) to clock your PIC with.

There's an article or two about this technique in old Microcomputer Journal
magazines. It's called the QDDI (Quick and Dirty Data Interface).

There are several documents out on the net with the pinout and spcifications
of the 8250 socket. Use it to giude your design.

>
> Also needed any tips/hints on reading and writing to and from the
> bus.  I work with Visual Basic 3.0 Pro for the computer end of my
> work.

It's just in and out port work. Most languages have that kind of support.

BAJ

1996\11\16@204654 by Gerhard Fiedler

flavicon
face
At 11:49 16/11/96 -0500, Byron A Jeff wrote:
>In fact this is what I suggest: Buy a regular old 8 bit serial card with
>socketed 8050/16450/16550 chip. Remove the chip and plug in a 40 pin
>cable. You now have an interface to your box that's 8 bit, decoded, has
>an interrupt. You only get 8 I/O port though. Cost about half the price
>of the Rat Shack card and has all the decoding done for you. You even get
>a crystal clock (usually 1.8432 Mhz) to clock your PIC with.

Sometimes you get some 16bit serial cards equally cheap, they have more
interrupts and often more I/O address choices available, if that is a
concern. A great idea, anyway!

1996\11\16@211431 by Ian Stirling

flavicon
face
>
> At 11:49 16/11/96 -0500, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> >In fact this is what I suggest: Buy a regular old 8 bit serial card with
> >socketed 8050/16450/16550 chip. Remove the chip and plug in a 40 pin
> >cable. You now have an interface to your box that's 8 bit, decoded, has
> >an interrupt. You only get 8 I/O port though. Cost about half the price
> >of the Rat Shack card and has all the decoding done for you. You even get
> >a crystal clock (usually 1.8432 Mhz) to clock your PIC with.
>
> Sometimes you get some 16bit serial cards equally cheap, they have more
> interrupts and often more I/O address choices available, if that is a
> concern. A great idea, anyway!
>

Also, cheap network, and multi-io cards often have 32K rom sockets in,
as well as interrupts. On the multi-io cards, at least rhe printer card will
support easy interrupt access, and then that gives you 32K memory mapped.


--
Ian Stirling.                        |  http://www.mauve.demon.co.uk/
AKA Caeser, Bolonewbie.              |  With information on the PDA I'm making.

1996\11\17@095548 by Mark A. Corio

picon face
In a message dated 96-11-16 10:43:47 EST, you write:

>Does anyone out there know where I could find the specifications
>and related info on the PC/AT bus.

I highly recommend a book called 'AT Bus Design' by Edward Solari.  It is
published by Annabooks.  The ISBN # is 0-929392-08-6.  It has timing diagrams
and info for 8 and 16 bit ISA, E-ISA and EISA designs.  I bought this book
several years ago (it was published in 1990) and have used it quite often to
success.  Good luck.

Mark A. Corio
Rochester MicroSystems, Inc.
200 Buell Road, Suite 9
Rochester, NY  14624
Tel:  (716) 328-5850 --- Fax:  (716) 328-1144
http://www.frontiernet.net/~rmi/

***** Designing Electronics For Research & Industry *****

1996\11\18@161637 by Luiz Marques

flavicon
face
>>Does anyone out there know where I could find the specifications
>>and related info on the PC/AT bus.

>I highly recommend a book called 'AT Bus Design' by Edward Solari.  It is
>published by Annabooks.  The ISBN # is 0-929392-08-6.  It has timing
>diagrams and info for 8 and 16 bit ISA, E-ISA and EISA designs.  I bought
>this book several years ago (it was published in 1990) and have used it
>quite often to success.  Good luck.

>Mark A. Corio

You can find Annabooks at http://www.annabooks.com/

Luiz

1996\11\25@162418 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello to all that responded to my post;
              "Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips"

Thanks to all of you that replied.  I was very happy with
the number and quality of the response.  I apologize for
taking so long to reply, and for the fact that due to time
constraints, this is arriving to you in the form of a 'Form
Lettter'.

It has been outragously hectic here, as I am sure it is for
all of you.  My wife took ill and my business went crazy.
Which I suppose is better than the other way around.
Although there was that time when she got crazy, and
decided that .... well involved whipped cream, anyway ...

If ever I can help any of you out, please let me know.
I have some 8051 routines as well as some PIC stuff.
If I own it, you can have it.  If it belongs to someone
else, I can give details of the inner workings and how
to acheive it, but not the source.

I did visit all of the sites that you guys listed.  It was
all very helpful.  I also enjoyed the various suggustions.
You all know how to cut thru the B.S. and arrive at a good
solution.

Thanks again.

Brent Pollock
.....ccsKILLspamspam@spam@ewol.com
Customized Controller Solutions

P.S.: >http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~msokos1/  is an excellent page.
Thanks.

1996\11\25@162421 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello to all that responded to my post;
              "Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips"

Thanks to all of you that replied.  I was very happy with
the number and quality of the response.  I apologize for
taking so long to reply, and for the fact that due to time
constraints, this is arriving to you in the form of a 'Form
Letter'.

It has been outragously hectic here, as I am sure it is for
all of you.  My wife took ill and my business went crazy.
Which I suppose is better than the other way around.
Although there was that time when she got crazy, and
decided that .... well involved whipped cream, anyway ...

If ever I can help any of you out, please let me know.
I have some 8051 routines as well as some PIC stuff.
If I own it, you can have it.  If it belongs to someone
else, I can give details of the inner workings and how
to acheive it, but not the source.

I did visit all of the sites that you guys listed.  It was
all very helpful.  I also enjoyed the various suggustions.
You all know how to cut thru the B.S. and arrive at a good
solution.

Thanks again.

Brent Pollock
ccsspamKILLspamewol.com
Customized Controller Solutions

>> Sometimes you get some 16bit serial cards equally cheap, they have more
>> interrupts and often more I/O address choices available, if that is a
>> concern. A great idea, anyway!
>>
>
>Also, cheap network, and multi-io cards often have 32K rom sockets in,
>as well as interrupts. On the multi-io cards, at least rhe printer card will
>support easy interrupt access, and then that gives you 32K memory mapped.

1996\11\25@162424 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello to all that responded to my post;
              "Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips"

Thanks to all of you that replied.  I was very happy with
the number and quality of the response.  I apologize for
taking so long to reply, and for the fact that due to time
constraints, this is arriving to you in the form of a 'Form
Letter'.

It has been outragously hectic here, as I am sure it is for
all of you.  My wife took ill and my business went crazy.
Which I suppose is better than the other way around.
Although there was that time when she got crazy, and
decided that .... well involved whipped cream, anyway ...

If ever I can help any of you out, please let me know.
I have some 8051 routines as well as some PIC stuff.
If I own it, you can have it.  If it belongs to someone
else, I can give details of the inner workings and how
to acheive it, but not the source.

I did visit all of the sites that you guys listed.  It was
all very helpful.  I also enjoyed the various suggustions.
You all know how to cut thru the B.S. and arrive at a good
solution.

Thanks again.

Brent Pollock
.....ccsKILLspamspam.....ewol.com
Customized Controller Solutions

Not taken as being snotty at all.  This was very helpful to me, and
I beleive that you were the only one to mention this import bit of
info.  Thanks

At 11:49 AM 11/16/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Not to be snotty, but an 8 bit card is perfectly acceptable in
>"on of todays machines".

>
>In fact this is what I suggest: Buy a regular old 8 bit serial card with
>socketed 8050/16450/16550 chip. Remove the chip and plug in a 40 pin
>cable. You now have an interface to your box that's 8 bit, decoded, has

1996\11\25@162427 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello to all that responded to my post;
              "Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips"

Thanks to all of you that replied.  I was very happy with
the number and quality of the response.  I apologize for
taking so long to reply, and for the fact that due to time
constraints, this is arriving to you in the form of a 'Form
Letter'.

It has been outragously hectic here, as I am sure it is for
all of you.  My wife took ill and my business went crazy.
Which I suppose is better than the other way around.
Although there was that time when she got crazy, and
decided that .... well involved whipped cream, anyway ...

If ever I can help any of you out, please let me know.
I have some 8051 routines as well as some PIC stuff.
If I own it, you can have it.  If it belongs to someone
else, I can give details of the inner workings and how
to acheive it, but not the source.

I did visit all of the sites that you guys listed.  It was
all very helpful.  I also enjoyed the various suggustions.
You all know how to cut thru the B.S. and arrive at a good
solution.

Thanks again.

Brent Pollock
EraseMEccsspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTewol.com
Customized Controller Solutions


>I highly recommend a book called 'AT Bus Design' by Edward Solari.  It is
>published by Annabooks.  The ISBN # is 0-929392-08-6.  It has timing diagrams
>and info for 8 and 16 bit ISA, E-ISA and EISA designs.  I bought this book
>several years ago (it was published in 1990) and have used it quite often to
>success.  Good luck.
>

1996\11\25@162430 by Customized Controller Solutions

flavicon
face
Hello to all that responded to my post;
              "Q: PC/AT Bus Pin-Out, Info/Hints/Tips"

Thanks to all of you that replied.  I was very happy with
the number and quality of the response.  I apologize for
taking so long to reply, and for the fact that due to time
constraints, this is arriving to you in the form of a 'Form
Letter'.

It has been outragously hectic here, as I am sure it is for
all of you.  My wife took ill and my business went crazy.
Which I suppose is better than the other way around.
Although there was that time when she got crazy, and
decided that .... well involved whipped cream, anyway ...

If ever I can help any of you out, please let me know.
I have some 8051 routines as well as some PIC stuff.
If I own it, you can have it.  If it belongs to someone
else, I can give details of the inner workings and how
to acheive it, but not the source.

I did visit all of the sites that you guys listed.  It was
all very helpful.  I also enjoyed the various suggustions.
You all know how to cut thru the B.S. and arrive at a good
solution.

Thanks again.

Brent Pollock
ccsspamspam_OUTewol.com
Customized Controller Solutions

At 12:35 AM 11/17/96 +0100, you wrote:

>Sometimes you get some 16bit serial cards equally cheap, they have more
>interrupts and often more I/O address choices available, if that is a
>concern. A great idea, anyway!
>

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1996 , 1997 only
- Today
- New search...