Searching \ for 'Pic Programming (The Start)' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=programming
Search entire site for: 'Pic Programming (The Start)'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Pic Programming (The Start)'
1997\02\13@155057 by Philip Martin

flavicon
picon face
Hi All,

What was (I think) a good idea has lead me into the realms of Pic
programming. Thing is, the last time I did any serious programming was
many years ago in the days of the 4000 series PET (6502 assembly). UK
available, whats the best book to start the learning process with ?
I've got the book form MPS "A Beginners Guide" but it does seem to leave
as many questions unanswered as it answers.

Next, the reason for this return to programming. What I have decided to
do is to use an LCD display, 2 * 16 or such like, to display a message
that would not exceed the number of characters on the display. However,
dependant upon an input line from another source it would display either
message A or B. I have seen several lumps of code that would be capable
of displaying one fixed message but not for changing over to a different
one.

Has anyone played with the LCD kit supplied by Magenta Electronics ?

Of course the real problem is that I am beginning to see the potential
for a number of projects that would benefit from the Pic type
technology. Hope my MD feels the same way :-)

TIA,

--
Philip Martin   email spam_OUTphilipTakeThisOuTspamphilmart.demon.co.uk
Royal Quays, North Shields

1997\02\13@185837 by Don McKenzie

flavicon
face
Philip Martin wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> What was (I think) a good idea has lead me into the realms of Pic
> programming. Thing is, the last time I did any serious programming was
> many years ago in the days of the 4000 series PET (6502 assembly). UK
> available, whats the best book to start the learning process with ?
> I've got the book form MPS "A Beginners Guide" but it does seem to leave
> as many questions unanswered as it answers.

I tried to get a PET in 1978 but had to settle for a TRS-80 as it was
all they would ship me to OZ in the early days. Try
http://www.dontronics.com/easy.html for the Easy PIC'n Beginners guide.

> Next, the reason for this return to programming. What I have decided to
> do is to use an LCD display, 2 * 16 or such like, to display a message
> that would not exceed the number of characters on the display. However,
> dependant upon an input line from another source it would display either
> message A or B. I have seen several lumps of code that would be capable
> of displaying one fixed message but not for changing over to a different
> one.

http://www.dontronics.com/sli.html will give you info on a ready made
display that will auto baud on 100bps to 125K bps. You mean to sense a
pin and display a different message depending on the result? Does the
text of the two messages change?

> Has anyone played with the LCD kit supplied by Magenta Electronics ?
>
> Of course the real problem is that I am beginning to see the potential
> for a number of projects that would benefit from the Pic type
> technology. Hope my MD feels the same way :-)
>
> Philip Martin   email .....philipKILLspamspam@spam@philmart.demon.co.uk
> Royal Quays, North Shields

Don McKenzie  donspamKILLspamdontronics.com   http://www.dontronics.com

SLI, the serial LCD that auto detects baud rates from 100 to 125K bps.
SimmStick(tm) A PIC proto PCB the size of a 30 pin Simm Memory Module.
Covers all versions of the PIC16cxx family plus the Atmel AT89C2051.

1997\02\16@103012 by Tim Kerby

picon face
Hi
You are two right about the beginners guide.  I learnt on the engineering
education scheme with school at a residential stay at napier university in
Edinburgh.  The two of us learning were given some simple examples and
learnt looking at the comments.  I have used magenta but not with their lcd
stuff.  If you read everyday practical electronics then they are doing some
pic - lcd stuff at the moment.


Tim


At 19:55 13/02/97 +0000, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

------------------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, it is the end of the message!
My web pages are at http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/tim.kerby/
My PIC site is at web.ukonline.co.uk/members/tim.kerby/pic/
It needs your projects!
------------------------------------------------------------------

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1997 , 1998 only
- Today
- New search...