Searching \ for 'PIC to PC' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'PIC to PC'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'PIC to PC'
2003\03\12@012554 by Jason Dini

flavicon
face
Good day,

I am looking to simply connect a pic to a pc and transfer data. I'll use any
port; parallel, serial or USB, whichever is most convenient. I would hope to
get the power for my pic from the port as well, which makes me think the USB
might be best, however it would be real easy to transfer data to the
parallel port. Anybody got some advice/experience with communicating with a
pc in this way? I'm also quite concerned about writing the software on the
pc side to read the port, not making it over complicated due to the pic
connection.

Jason


http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu>

2003\03\12@022247 by PicDude

flavicon
face
USB is definitely as simple or low-cost as parallel, but
you're right -- you can't source power from it.  What
port you choose will also determine the rate at which
you need to transfer the data.

If you intend to only power a PIC or other low-power
circuit, you can do what I did in one app...I have the
I/O via the parallel port, but also had a connector on
the keyboard/mouse port for stealing 5V.

I'm using linux on the PC, so programming is simple in C.
There are only a few commands you need -- to setup the
port and then read and write to the port.

The protocol to read from the PIC should be the easiest
part.  You can come up with your own, or write something
similar to a PC communicating with a printer (in reverse).

Do a search for parallel port pinout or parallel port
programming and you'll find lots of resources.  I don't
remember them offhand, but beyond logic is a good place
to start.

Cheers,
-Neil.



> {Original Message removed}

2003\03\12@024147 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> I am looking to simply connect a pic to a pc and transfer data.
> I'll use any
> port; parallel, serial or USB, whichever is most convenient. I
> would hope to
> get the power for my pic from the port as well, which makes me
> think the USB
> might be best, however it would be real easy to transfer data to the
> parallel port. Anybody got some advice/experience with
> communicating with a
> pc in this way? I'm also quite concerned about writing the software on the
> pc side to read the port, not making it over complicated due to the pic
> connection.

       Go serial. It is simplest, by far, on both the software and firmware side
of things. TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu>

2003\03\12@035507 by Jason Dini

flavicon
face
Thanks Neil and Herbert for the reply. I think I will try serially just
because it has power and sounds more convenient and neater. The data rate is
really not important to me at all. I just want to confirm that I can power a
pic off the serial port, I always though a mouse was a fairly passive device
and so very little current could be drawn? Also you wouldn't perhaps know of
a good place to get a code example of a pic/serial port communication (RS232
I guess)?

Thanks once again.
Jason



{Quote hidden}

       Go serial. It is simplest, by far, on both the software and firmware
side
of things. TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu

{Original Message removed}

2003\03\12@095157 by Clayton Mellina
picon face
Here is a bit banging routine: http://www.dontronics.com/psbpix/serin1.html

Your job will be much simpler if you have a hardware UART on the PIC.

Here is code/tutorial for using hardware UART:
http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/picuart.zip


Hope this helps
Good luck!

-Clayton

{Original Message removed}

2003\03\12@101943 by Jason Dini

flavicon
face
Thanks Clayton

Got the web page and I'm going to check out using the hardware UART.

Cheers
Jason

{Original Message removed}

2003\03\12@125027 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> Thanks Neil and Herbert for the reply. I think I will try serially just
> because it has power and sounds more convenient and neater. The
> data rate is
> really not important to me at all. I just want to confirm that I
> can power a
> pic off the serial port, I always though a mouse was a fairly
> passive device
> and so very little current could be drawn? Also you wouldn't

       A serial port cannot supply that much current, however it is enough for a
PIC.

> perhaps know of
> a good place to get a code example of a pic/serial port
> communication (RS232
> I guess)?

       Try looking up Father McGee's UART example, it's about the best one out
there. TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu>

2003\03\12@191341 by Kyrre Aalerud

flavicon
face
For a single rs232 connection the hardware usart saves you a lot of
troubles.
Just make sure you get the transfer-settings right the first time...

   KreAture

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Dini" <dinijspamspam_OUTORCHID-SA.CO.ZA>
To: <@spam@PICLISTKILLspamspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: PIC to PC


Thanks Clayton

Got the web page and I'm going to check out using the hardware UART.

Cheers
Jason

{Original Message removed}

2003\03\13@014117 by Jason Dini

flavicon
face
Do the configuration bits vary much between PIC16C74A and PIC16F628? and are
there any other major changes that need to be made to code for a PIC16C74A
to be used on a PIC16F628?

{Original Message removed}

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2003 , 2004 only
- Today
- New search...