Searching \ for 'PC Power Suply to PIC Programmer?!?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=programmer
Search entire site for: 'PC Power Suply to PIC Programmer?!?'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'PC Power Suply to PIC Programmer?!?'
1999\09\10@161238 by Edson Brusque

face
flavicon
face
Hello,

   an idea passed my head right now...

   If I take the +5V and +12V (and GROUND, of course) from the PC power
suply and use it to feed the PIC in-line programmer board (David Tait's
SERPIC), can I cause any harm to the programmer, target board ou the PC?

   This would save me a 12V power suply and make the things a bit more
ellegant (only 3 wires from the programmer to the PIC).

   Thanks,

   Brusque

1999\09\10@163955 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
>     If I take the +5V and +12V (and GROUND, of course) from the PC power
> suply and use it to feed the PIC in-line programmer board (David Tait's
> SERPIC), can I cause any harm to the programmer, target board ou the PC?
>
>     This would save me a 12V power suply and make the things a bit more
> ellegant (only 3 wires from the programmer to the PIC).

12 volts is not enough, you really need a little bit more.
-Bob

1999\09\10@170651 by paulb

flavicon
face
Bob Blick wrote, quoting Edson Brusque:

>>   If I take the +5V and +12V (and GROUND, of course) from the PC
>> power supply and use it to feed the PIC in-line programmer board
>> (David Tait's SERPIC), can I cause any harm to the programmer, target
>> board or the PC?

> 12 volts is not enough, you really need a little bit more.

 Pity eh?  OTOH, if you use a programmer (Picstart or Warp) which
contains a switchmode converter to run from a 9V Plug Pack (Wall Wart),
it should work *great* from the PC power supply.

 I have a lead dangling from the back of my PC with a coaxial power
socket for just this purpose, taken from a drive connector "splitter".
Just one trick - it isn't fused, but has an automotive (dashboard light
or ceiling light) bulb in series.
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.

1999\09\10@220821 by Jim Robertson

flavicon
face
At 07:06 11/09/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Bob Blick wrote, quoting Edson Brusque:
>
>>>   If I take the +5V and +12V (and GROUND, of course) from the PC
>>> power supply and use it to feed the PIC in-line programmer board
>>> (David Tait's SERPIC), can I cause any harm to the programmer, target
>>> board or the PC?
>
>> 12 volts is not enough, you really need a little bit more.

Right.


>  Pity eh?  OTOH, if you use a programmer (Picstart or Warp) which
>contains a switchmode converter to run from a 9V Plug Pack (Wall Wart),
>it should work *great* from the PC power supply.

Actually Paul none of the warp series of programmers have the switchable
booster.
All require 17VDC or 12VAC.

Jim
Regards,

Jim Robertson
NEWFOUND ELECTRONICS
________________________________________
Email: spam_OUTnewfoundTakeThisOuTspampipeline.com.au
http://www.new-elect.com
MPLAB compatible PIC programmers.
________________________________________

1999\09\10@225037 by Myke Predko

flavicon
face
Just to follow up on this thread...

> At 07:06 11/09/99 +1000, you wrote:
> >Bob Blick wrote, quoting Edson Brusque:
> >
> >>>   If I take the +5V and +12V (and GROUND, of course) from the PC
> >>> power supply and use it to feed the PIC in-line programmer board
> >>> (David Tait's SERPIC), can I cause any harm to the programmer, target
> >>> board or the PC?
> >
> >> 12 volts is not enough, you really need a little bit more.
>
> Right.

I thought for the EEPROM devices, 10+ Volts was good enough.  For EPROM
devices, 12.5+ Volts is required.

> >  Pity eh?  OTOH, if you use a programmer (Picstart or Warp) which
> >contains a switchmode converter to run from a 9V Plug Pack (Wall Wart),
> >it should work *great* from the PC power supply.
>
> Actually Paul none of the warp series of programmers have the switchable
> booster.
> All require 17VDC or 12VAC.

I got an email from a couple of people that used their PC's power supply for
my "El Cheapo" programmer.  Generally an unused diskette power connector was
used.

One guy managed to short out the +5 Volt line and burn out the PC's power
supply.  I imagine that the programmer board was thoroughly carbonized in
the process.

The PC Power supply, while just sitting there, should not be used for
powering your applications.

myke

1999\09\10@230754 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
>I thought for the EEPROM devices, 10+ Volts was good enough.  For EPROM
>devices, 12.5+ Volts is required.

The 16C84 and maybe others will not enter programming mode unless the
voltage is high enough. The early Picstart Plus programmers wouldn't work
on all of them, so Microchip upped the programming voltage a little and
there is a note somewhere telling which resistor to change if you have an
old programmer. All the EEPROM parts have an internal programming supply,
so the exact voltage is not critical.

-Bob

1999\09\11@013453 by paulb

flavicon
face
Jim Robertson wrote:

> Actually Paul none of the warp series of programmers have the
> switchable booster.
> All require 17VDC or 12VAC.

 Sorry, I was referring the the Picstart, PP1 and Motorola programmers
that I happen to have here.  The Atmel programmer (AVR-1) doesn't need
more than 5V after regulation anyway.

Myke Predko wrote:

> One guy managed to short out the +5 Volt line and burn out the PC's
> power supply.

 That's quite a feat, or at the very least, a sub-standard PC PSU.

> The PC Power supply, while just sitting there, should not be used for
> powering your applications.

 Certainly not by those who don't know what they are doing.  As I
posted, it's really quite easy if you pick the right rating of bulb.
Hint:  I cheated on this, but a good bakelite socket with screw
terminals is what you want.
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.

1999\09\11@113602 by Mark Willis

flavicon
face
Paul B. Webster VK2BZC wrote:
> <snipped>
>   Certainly not by those who don't know what they are doing.  As I
> posted, it's really quite easy if you pick the right rating of bulb.
> Hint:  I cheated on this, but a good bakelite socket with screw
> terminals is what you want.
> --
>   Cheers,
>         Paul B.

Whole new meaning to the words "Idiot Light", huh?  <G>

 Mark

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...