Searching \ for 'OTP devices' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=otp+devices
Search entire site for: 'OTP devices'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'OTP devices'
1995\08\30@121634 by Wayne G Boyd

flavicon
face
I have just developed an application for a PIC16c55. After checking
if worked correctly I decided to blow it onto a OTP device for the
final product. However, I got a fuse error report from the mps16b
program. Exact details bellow:-

Developement EPROM chip :   PIC16C55/JW-S1
Final OTP chip          :   PIC16C55-XT/P

Clocking method         :   8MHz Crystal

I tried to program the OTP to use an HS clock. But it reported that
it had been programmed LP !

Is there something I don't know about these OTP chips. I thought they
are supposed to be able to do everything the EPROM devices are.

Could it simply be that this OTP chip is defective ?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wayne G Boyd.
**************************************************************************
*  JCE (Aberdeen) Ltd  (Ex) Certified Equipment Manufacturers, Suppliers *
*                      And Project Engineering.                          *
*                                                                        *
*  e-mail:spam_OUTjceTakeThisOuTspamwintermute.co.uk   Tel:44 1224 772030   Fax:44 1224 772002 *
**************************************************************************

1995\08\30@133255 by Brian Read

flavicon
face
Wayne,

The ONLY difference between a windowed and OTP part
is the package they are in. The silicon is the same.
Something must have gone wrong in the programming or
the chip is defective.

Brian

1995\08\30@140909 by Antti Lukats

flavicon
face
>Developement EPROM chip :   PIC16C55/JW-S1
>Final OTP chip          :   PIC16C55-XT/P
>
>Clocking method         :   8MHz Crystal
>
>I tried to program the OTP to use an HS clock. But it reported that
>it had been programmed LP !
>
>Is there something I don't know about these OTP chips. I thought they
>are supposed to be able to do everything the EPROM devices are.
>
>Could it simply be that this OTP chip is defective ?

No your OTP is Ok.

You just cant reprogram an -XT OTP device to HS mode.

OTP devices (5X series without a letter A at the end) have
the OSC config bits in fuseword pre-programmed.

XT device has ..01 as low bits in fuseword. An attempt of
overprogramming to HS ..10 in low bits will get the both OSC
config bits to 0, which will be LP, and that what you did get.

You have to use -HS parts or 16C5XA parts if they are available.

You may buy RC parts (cheap) and try them, they will get programmed
as HS. However they may not work in HS. Well as known to us some
companies are doing that. Using RC parts in HS mode.

FYI Basic Stamp II has 16C57-RC running at 20Mhz, those in HS mode.

antti
----------------------------------------------------------
-- Antti Lukats                          Silicon Studio --
-- .....sisKILLspamspam@spam@rasi.lr.ttu.ee                    PO Box 3500    --
-- ftp://rasi.lr.ttu.ee/pub/sis          Tallinn EE0001 --
-- http://rasi.lr.ttu.ee/~sis            Estonia        --
----------------------------------------------------------

1995\08\30@141321 by Conny Andersson

picon face
Wayne G Boyd wrote about not beeing able to program an OTP 16c55 ...

I guess it's as simple as this:

  You said you programmed the JW in HS-mode and then tried to program
  the 16c55-xt/p also in HS-mode, right?

  The OTP 16c55-xt/p is preprogrammed in xt-mode (up to 4MHz) so this
  might be the problem. I don't know what happens when you program
  HS-mode in an XT-mode OTP but my guess is that nothing happens at all.

Have you tried to run the chip at 8MHz, 4MHz? It should definitely work
at 4MHz.

-------------------------------
Conny Andersson, LiTH

1995\08\30@142606 by PETE KLAMMER

flavicon
face
On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Conny Andersson <y93conanspamKILLspamISY.LIU.SE> wrote:

> Wayne G Boyd wrote about not beeing able to program an OTP 16c55 ...
>
> I guess it's as simple as this:
>
>    You said you programmed the JW in HS-mode and then tried to program
>    the 16c55-xt/p also in HS-mode, right?
>
>    The OTP 16c55-xt/p is preprogrammed in xt-mode (up to 4MHz) so this
>    might be the problem. I don't know what happens when you program
>    HS-mode in an XT-mode OTP but my guess is that nothing happens at all.
>
> Have you tried to run the chip at 8MHz, 4MHz? It should definitely work
> at 4MHz.
>
> -------------------------------
> Conny Andersson, LiTH

The newer ``enhanced'' 16C5XA parts are fuse-programmable for oscillator
type, whether OTP or windowed; the ``dash'' suffix in the part number
indicates a speed grade, e.g. PIC16C54A-04/P, PIC16C57A-20I/SO, etc., where
the `I' is a temperature-grade option.

The older ``traditional'' ;-) 16C5X parts are fuse-programmable in the
windowed package (/JW), but the OTP versions are factory preset (probably
with the same fuses, so you might be able to monkey around a bit if you try
to burn additional ones);  the ``dash'' suffix in the part number
indicates an oscillator type, e.g. PIC16C54A-RC/P, PIC16C57A-HSI/SO, etc.,
where the `I' is a temperature-grade option.

Peter F. Klammer, Racom Systems Inc.                   .....PKlammerKILLspamspam.....ACM.Org
6080 Greenwood Plaza Boulevard                            (303)773-7411
Englewood, CO  80111                                  FAX:(303)771-4708

1995\08\30@144257 by Henry Carl Ott

picon face
{Quote hidden}

Wayne:
The fuses on the 16c5x-xx otp series are indeed preprogrammed as to their
clocking method. (the only exception as far as I know is the -RC part).
You are masking in the -HS fuse bit with the -XT bit and the result is -LP.
If you need the high speed chip, that is what you will have to order.

Hope this helps.

carl

----------------------------------------
Henry Carl Ott      N2RVQ
EraseMEcarlottspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTinterport.net
http://www.interport.net/~carlott/
----------------------------------------

1995\08\30@150831 by Tim Braun

flavicon
face
> Date:         Wed, 30 Aug 1995 17:20:20 +0100
> From: Wayne G Boyd <jcespamspam_OUTWINTERMUTE.CO.UK>
> Subject:      OTP devices

> I have just developed an application for a PIC16c55. After checking
> if worked correctly I decided to blow it onto a OTP device for the
> final product. However, I got a fuse error report from the mps16b
> program. Exact details bellow:-
>
> Developement EPROM chip :   PIC16C55/JW-S1
> Final OTP chip          :   PIC16C55-XT/P

Brian Read is wrong.  There is one other difference between
OTP and ceramic parts - the oscillator options are pre-set
for OTP parts.  That's why you have a -XT/P part instead of an
-HS/P or a -RC/P part.

> Clocking method         :   8MHz Crystal
>
> I tried to program the OTP to use an HS clock. But it reported that
> it had been programmed LP !

> Is there something I don't know about these OTP chips. I thought they
> are supposed to be able to do everything the EPROM devices are.

Yep, here's one thing to learn: you don't try to change the oscillator
type to something other than what you bought.

> Could it simply be that this OTP chip is defective ?

Not likely.  I've had this kind of problem with PICstart firmware
V1.4 & software earlier than V3.04, trying to set crystal options
to XT on a -XT/P part.

> Anyone got any suggestions?

If you're programming with the PICstart, get V1.7 firmware and V3.04
software (free from your distributor) upgrades.

Don't try to set the crystal options to other than the part spec.

> Thanks,
>
> Wayne G Boyd.

You're welcome.  I hope this was helpful.

Tim Braun                             | Voice: 204-942-2992 ext 228
Continental Healthcare Systems Canada | FAX:   204-942-3001
1900-155 Carlton St                   | Email: @spam@timKILLspamspamchs.mb.ca
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3C 3H8    | www: http://www.chs.mb.ca/~tim/home.html


'OTP devices'
1998\11\02@130441 by aya Baptista
flavicon
face
Does anyone know of a version of the PIC16C84 which is an OTP (One-Time
Programmable) device? What's its reference/name?

TIA,
AndrŽ Malafaya Baptista

1998\11\02@171509 by paulb

flavicon
face
AndrŽ Malafaya Baptista wrote:

> Does anyone know of a version of the PIC16C84 which is an OTP
> (One-Time Programmable) device? What's its reference/name?

 The PIC16F84 uses EEPROM, so it is by definition, re-writable.  The
term "OTP" has no meaning in this respect.

 If you look at the datasheets, you will see 16CR84 devices listed
which are (cheaper!) mask-programmed versions for *high*-volume
production.
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.

1998\11\03@031822 by Richard Parsons

flavicon
face
Hi there AndrŽ

I develop on the 84 then program in to the PIC16C6xx range. They are the
closest to the 84 in an OTP version IMHO

Richard P


AndrŽ Malafaya Baptista wrote:

> Does anyone know of a version of the PIC16C84 which is an OTP (One-Time
> Programmable) device? What's its reference/name?
>
> TIA,
> AndrŽ Malafaya Baptista

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1998 , 1999 only
- Today
- New search...