Searching \ for 'IRDA' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/irs.htm?key=irda
Search entire site for: 'IRDA'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'IRDA'
1995\06\09@194717 by bboles

flavicon
face
    Both HP and Temic will send specifications on their IRDA compliant
    transcievers.  Call HP sales office and ask for technical data on
    HSDL-1000 or Temic sales office (or 408-988-8000) and ask for IR
    Remote Control Designers Kit which includes app notes and samples!

    Each of these only address the optical and electrical interface for
    IRDA.  The higher levels of the protocol are defined in the IRDA spec
    which unfortunately costs $500 from the IR Data Association at
    510-943-6546 or spam_OUTjlarocheTakeThisOuTspamnetcom.com

    TTYL, Brian.                                .....bbolesKILLspamspam@spam@microchip.com

1995\06\12@143102 by Mike Fahrion

flavicon
face
April 17, '95 Electronic Design tells about all you'd ever want/need to know
about IrDA.  Summed up, its a cheap/easy RS-232-like connection.  Spec'ed to
115Kbits/s and 3-6 ft.  Its based around standard UART charactertics (thus
works fine w/ std com software).  About the only difference from RS-232 is
that the high pulses (0's) are narrowed substantially to reduce tx power.
This will cause a little grief with firmware uarts which expected a lot of
margin on where to sample a 232 bit.

The IrDA (Infrared Data Association) can be reached at jlarochespamKILLspamnetcom.com.

To me this may be useful in some limited applications.  It will probably be
closely related to PICs since they are a very common for firmware UARTs (at
least around here).  I'm sure I'll be rewriting some UART code soon.....

-mike
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Fahrion                    |
B&B Electronics Mfg. Co.        |          email:  .....mfahrionKILLspamspam.....bb-elec.com
707 Dayton Road                 |          phone:  (815) 434-0846 ext.215
PO Box 1040                     |          fax:    (815) 434-7094
Ottawa, IL 61350                |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1995\06\12@234204 by Doug Sellner

flavicon
face
RE: IR Communications


Hewlett Packard has an excellent line of very high speed IR Communication
Modules.

TTL In -> IR Out and back again.

The modules have both send/recieve circuitry.  If you get an Industry
Magazine the advertise free samples.


(No, I don't work for HP)

Doug Sellner
Beach Tech
4131 Vincent Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55410

Voice (612) 924-9193 x 521
Fax   (612) 926-1145

Internet: EraseMEdsellnerspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTembay.com


'IRDA'
1999\08\09@093518 by Stefan Pons
picon face
Hello List,
has anyone tried to implement the IRDA-Protocol on Pic (i.e. 16F84).

Thanks Stefan

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net

1999\08\10@094516 by Wagner Lipnharski

picon face
Remember that IrDa protocol is a vaste and several layers communication
protocol. It is based on the HDLC (SDLC), and it uses several flow
controls, identifiers and so on. I made a partial subset at the 8051 uC
family to control a wireles printer, it took aprox 6 kbytes of code
(assembler).

The IrDa chips (controller and the transceiver) can also be programmed
to work in "Raw InfraRed" mode, that is similar to the VCR remote
controls IR modulation, and some other way.   But to ensure a real
communication mode, with multi devices and protocol confirmation, you
need to go for real IrDa.

I used chips from Temic, as the TOIM3232 and TFDS4000, but the last one
is a pain in the neck to get from the distributors, except if you want
to buy in 750 pieces a time (whole reel). Their explanation is that once
you open the sealed package the transceivers start to suffer from
humidity and can not be restocked...  I wonder what happens after you
solder them at the PCB... it must be some magic that stops the humidity
attack.  Talking to someone at Temic, this person said that during the
SMD reflow the unit cooks again and fix the humidity problem... then I
asked him "what about if I solder it by hand"?... the guy probably
entered in "duhhhh state" because I heard a long silence at the other
side of the phone.

1999\08\10@100612 by Stefan Sczekalla-Waldschmidt

flavicon
face
Wagner Lipnharski wrote:
>

(...)

> I used chips from Temic, as the TOIM3232 and TFDS4000, but the last one
> is a pain in the neck to get from the distributors, except if you want
> to buy in 750 pieces a time (whole reel). Their explanation is that once
> you open the sealed package the transceivers start to suffer from
> humidity and can not be restocked...

As whithin the recent discussion about smd-soldering in a reflow oven / toaster
the humidity which may vaporize is no problem after soldering - just
before (or more: during the reflow soldering).

> I wonder what happens after you
> solder them at the PCB... it must be some magic that stops the humidity
> attack.  Talking to someone at Temic, this person said that during the
> SMD reflow the unit cooks again and fix the humidity problem... then I
> asked him "what about if I solder it by hand"?... the guy probably
> entered in "duhhhh state" because I heard a long silence at the other
> side of the phone.

I think this guy just heard about "problems" but didn't know the whole story.

Kind regards,

       Stefan

1999\08\10@134533 by Tom Handley

picon face
  Wagner, have you looked at HP? I've only done the physical layer using
their modules based on the HSDL-1000. I've also looked at Unitrode, Siemens,
and Linear as well as the Maxim UART's mentioned earlier. All I did was test
a 3ft link between PCs using low-level serial routines in C.

  - Tom

At 09:45 AM 8/10/99 -0400, Wagner Lipnharski wrote:
{Quote hidden}

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Handley
New Age Communications
Since '75 before "New Age" and no one around here is waiting for UFOs ;-)

1999\08\10@140019 by Wagner Lipnharski

picon face
Tom Handley wrote:
>
>    Wagner, have you looked at HP? I've only done the physical layer using
> their modules based on the HSDL-1000. I've also looked at Unitrode, Siemens,
> and Linear as well as the Maxim UART's mentioned earlier. All I did was test
> a 3ft link between PCs using low-level serial routines in C.

Yes Tom, things I said happened 3 years ago... now we have other
suppliers... :)
Wagner.

1999\08\10@153544 by Tom Handley

picon face
  Well HP is pretty much the "horse's mouth" when it comes to the physical
layer ;-)

  As you obviously know, they have extensive documentation on IrDa.

  - Tom

At 01:58 PM 8/10/99 -0400, Wagner Lipnharski wrote:
>Tom Handley wrote:
>>
>>    Wagner, have you looked at HP? I've only done the physical layer using
>> their modules based on the HSDL-1000. I've also looked at Unitrode,
Siemens,
>> and Linear as well as the Maxim UART's mentioned earlier. All I did was
test
>> a 3ft link between PCs using low-level serial routines in C.
>
>Yes Tom, things I said happened 3 years ago... now we have other
>suppliers... :)
>Wagner.


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Handley
New Age Communications
Since '75 before "New Age" and no one around here is waiting for UFOs ;-)

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...