Searching \ for 'Hand scanners used to track students' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=hand+scanners+used
Search entire site for: 'Hand scanners used to track students'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'Hand scanners used to track students'
2004\07\07@144748 by Denny Esterline

picon face
A few years back I took a tour through a place that used hand scanners for
employee timecard tracking. Part of their shop was auto mechananics,
supposedly the greasy grimey hands didn't bother the scanners.

Even though the article says "The machines store a mathematical equation,
but not a picture, for each hand" I doubt that bears any resemblance to
"the nth digit of PI xor'd with the square root of 2". I would suspect that
it has to do with a bunch of ratios between recognizable points, but I'm
just guessing.

-Denny




> This is something I don't quite understand.  If we can store a
mathematical equation that will describe a handprint that will identify a
person, then is it feasible that we could create a mathematical equation
that would describe any number, for example the bits necessary to recreate
the song Salsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel?

Even if it is the nth digit of PI xor'd with the square root of 2.  Or some
such?

Just my universal mind trying to cope with reality.  (-:



> Hand dimensions rather than prints etc used to establish
> biometric
> signature.
>
>
> www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-
> ptech01jul01,0,7039203.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines
>
> --

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.699 / Virus Database: 456 - Release Date: 6/4/2004


--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2004\07\07@145617 by Colombain Nicolas

flavicon
face
The equations used for hand scanners or fingerprints describe only some
vectors. After a bunch of filtering, some usefull curves/form can be
extracted. Once this done, they are converted to vector like a bezier curve.

Nicolas

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2004\07\07@150033 by D. Jay Newman

flavicon
face
> > This is something I don't quite understand.  If we can store a
> mathematical equation that will describe a handprint that will identify a
> person, then is it feasible that we could create a mathematical equation
> that would describe any number, for example the bits necessary to recreate
> the song Salsbury Hill by Peter Gabriel?

There is a mathematical proof that you can create an infinite number
of equations that go through N points, where N is > 0.

So, while the equation for Salsbury Hill would be rather a long one, it
could be done.

> Even if it is the nth digit of PI xor'd with the square root of 2.  Or some
> such?

> Just my universal mind trying to cope with reality.  (-:

And you're asking about Mathematics?  :)
--
D. Jay Newman           ! DCX - it takes off and lands base first,
spam_OUTjayTakeThisOuTspamsprucegrove.com     !       as God and Robert Heinlein intended.
http://enerd.ws/robots/ !

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2004\07\07@150902 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> Even though the article says "The machines store a
> mathematical equation,
> but not a picture, for each hand" I doubt that bears any
> resemblance to
> "the nth digit of PI xor'd with the square root of 2". I
> would suspect that
> it has to do with a bunch of ratios between recognizable
> points, but I'm
> just guessing.

Just guessing too: B-splines (I would not recognise one if it dropped on
my head) are equations that are commonly used to describe scaleable
fonts. Probably somthing related is used.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...