Searching \ for 'HELP !!!!!' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=help
Search entire site for: 'HELP !!!!!'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'HELP !!!!!'
1999\01\04@183347 by Dave Sampson

picon face
Hi All,
         I am getting desperate i need help. I am doing a project at college,
i am designing a gadget that will be fixed to a golf trolley. What it will do
is take a sensor from the wheels and measure distances travelled on the
course. It will also keep record of shots taken per hole. i have purchased a
4*4 keypad and a 2*16 LCD display Also the picstart programming board. I have
never had any experience programming a PIC and am finding the whole thing a
little confusing at the moment. i have your book Programming and Customising
the PIC Micro controller. Please could you steer me in the right direction as
to how to interface the LCD and the Keypad, and also any ideas you feel would
help. I would really appreciate any help you could give me as i am struggling
at the moment.

Thanks in anticipation

David Sampson
Northampton,
ENGLAND
email spam_OUTDsampsTakeThisOuTspamaol.com

1999\01\04@203505 by James Cameron

flavicon
face
Dave Sampson wrote:
> What it will do is take a sensor from the wheels and measure distances
> travelled on the course.

Neat idea.

> i have your book Programming and Customising the PIC Micro controller.

I didn't write that.  Perhaps you mean someone else?

> Please could you steer me in the right direction as to how to interface
> the LCD and the Keypad, and also any ideas you feel would help.

Measuring distance is simple.  I hope you don't need to measure time as
well.  But if you do that can be done, but you have to know ahead of
time, so to speak, as it influences the design.

Interfacing to the LCD is a matter of connecting some of the
microcontroller's lines to the LCD and writing code to cause the
microcontroller to move the signals appropriately.  If you have the data
sheet for the LCD then this will help, however most LCD panels of that
size use the same signalling technique.

Keypads are usually interfaced by driving one side of them (say, rows at
a time), and reading the other side of them (columns) to determine which
buttons are down.

> I would really appreciate any help you could give me as i am struggling
> at the moment.

Difficult to give you good shortcuts.  Have you read the book yet?

p.s. you gave two return addresses, one was in the mail header and the
other in the body.  Make it easy why don't you?  ;-)

--
James Cameron                                      (.....cameronKILLspamspam@spam@stl.dec.com)

OpenVMS, Linux, Firewalls, Software Engineering, CGI, HTTP, X, C, FORTH,
COBOL, BASIC, DCL, csh, bash, ksh, sh, Electronics, Microcontrollers,
Disability Engineering, Netrek, Bicycles, Pedant, Farming, Home Control,
Remote Area Power, Greek Scholar, Tenor Vocalist, Church Sound, Husband.

"Specialisation is for insects." -- Robert Heinlein.

1999\01\04@220730 by Graham, Peter

flavicon
face
Hi Dave,

Try Looking for the application notes AN529 and AN587 on the Microchip web
site. They show how to sample a 4X4 keypad and interface to an LCD module.

http://www.microchip.com/10/Appnote/index.htm

The address above is a direct link to the app. note page.

Hope this helps.

Peter G.


> {Original Message removed}

1999\01\04@221757 by Greg Cormier

flavicon
>little confusing at the moment. i have your book Programming and Customising
>the PIC Micro controller. Please could you steer me in the right direction as

Ummmmmmmmmm, havn't read that, but I know "The Microcontroller's Beginner's
Handbook" is what got me going. It does a keypad and LCD i think.....

>to how to interface the LCD and the Keypad, and also any ideas you feel would
>help. I would really appreciate any help you could give me as i am struggling
>at the moment.

Well, you're in luck. I just started a "Keypad Decoding" thread about 2
days ago... assuming you're not very new, you probably have em. Hopefully
your keypad is the same! As for the LCD, quite a few projects use it. Do a
little bit of web surfing...

-greg


-----------------------
Greg Cormier
Kathmandu, Nepal
Local time : GMT + 5h30m
gcormierspamKILLspamwlink.com.np
ICQ # : 565465

1999\01\05@105634 by myke predko
flavicon
face
Hi David,

I think you're really addressing this request to me (I wrote "Programming
and Customizing the PIC Microcontroller").

>Hi All,
>          I am getting desperate i need help. I am doing a project at college,
>i am designing a gadget that will be fixed to a golf trolley. What it will do
>is take a sensor from the wheels and measure distances travelled on the
>course. It will also keep record of shots taken per hole. i have purchased a
>4*4 keypad and a 2*16 LCD display Also the picstart programming board. I have
>never had any experience programming a PIC and am finding the whole thing a
>little confusing at the moment. i have your book Programming and Customising
>the PIC Micro controller.

If you have the book, you should probably first go through Chapter 8
"Experiments" to see how programming the PICMicro works and get a few
samples under your belt.  Once you've done this, why don't you take a look
at "PROG35: Serial-LCD Interface" and "PROG40: Keyboard Interface" in
Chapter 9.  These two applications should give you the basis for your
application.

>Please could you steer me in the right direction as
>to how to interface the LCD and the Keypad, and also any ideas you feel would
>help. I would really appreciate any help you could give me as i am struggling
>at the moment.

LCD's (and Keypads) are actually quite easy to interface to with the PIC.
For your golf cart's wheels, I would suggest pulling some magnets on the rim
and using a "Hall Effect Sensor" to count the number of times the wheels
turn to get your distance.

>Thanks in anticipation

No problem, if you have any questions while you are creating the project,
please drop me a line.

myke

Myke's 1998 book of the year, "Citizen Soldiers" by Stephen Ambrose.  Find
out more at:

http://www.myke.com/Book_Room/book1a.htm

Learn more about the Apollo 13 disaster in this weeks' book at:

http://www.myke.com/Book_Room/book1a.htm

Coming Very Soon - "Programming and Customizing the 8051 Microcontroller".
Find out more at:

http://www.myke.com/My_Books/pac8051.htm

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...