Searching \ for 'DIY 16C84 programmer (was Re: Parallax or Picstart' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=programmer
Search entire site for: 'DIY 16C84 programmer (was Re: Parallax or Picstart'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'DIY 16C84 programmer (was Re: Parallax or Picstart'
1994\09\06@061232 by crocontroller discussion list

flavicon
face
Hi,

I tried to mail this last week but it doesn't seem to have made it
onto the list.

Derrick Early mentioned he was hoping to build a 16C84 programmer.
You can ftp the info about this programmer from:

ftp://ftp.ee.ualberta.ca:/pub/cookbook/comp/ibm/pic84pgm.zip

Although many people have let me know that they have got the
programmer to work it is worth giving a few words of caution if you
are thinking of building it:

* I developed this project using a 20MHz 386DX machine and have
 subsequently found the C version to be unreliable when used with my
 33MHz 486DX.  Obviously a timing problem and I will try to fix this
 when I get some spare time.  The Qbasic version still worked though,
 and the C version worked with turbo mode switched off.

* Please note that the executable packaged with the programmer info
 was built for hardware using a 7406.  If you use a 7407 you must
 uncomment "#define U7407" and recompile.  The Qbasic source is also
 intended for hardware using a 7406.  To use the Qbasic program with
 7407 based hardware then include these definitions:

 CONST DataInv = 0
 CONST VppOn = 8, VppOff = 0, VddOn = 4, VddOff = 0
 CONST ClkHi = 2, ClkLo = 0, OutHi = 1, OutLo = 0

 (Due to a typo, the program erroneously suggests that you
 should use ClkHi = 4.  Sorry about that.)

* If you don't use LS buffers you should substitute a 7805 for the
 78L05.

I recently designed a PCB for the programmer which should make life
easier for intending constructors (it was while testing my PCB that I
found the timing problem).  The details will be packaged with the next
release of the software (i.e the one that corrects the timing bug).  I
can't promise when that will be ready though.

It doesn't seem to be as widely known as it should be that there is
information on another 16C84 programmer available on the net.  This
one was designed by Henk Schaer and is (at least was when I last
looked) available as

ftp://sunshine.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de:/pub/private/danny/picprog.zip

I haven't tried it myself, but it comes with menu driven software which
you may find preferable to the command line approach I used.

Hope this information will be useful to some of you - sorry for the
junk if not.

Cheers,

David

P.S. The programmers mentioned above were both released as copyrighted
freeware.  Nobody makes money from them.

1994\09\06@082401 by crocontroller discussion list

flavicon
face
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried to mail this last week but it doesn't seem to have made it
> onto the list.
>
> Derrick Early mentioned he was hoping to build a 16C84 programmer.
> You can ftp the info about this programmer from:
>
> ftp://ftp.ee.ualberta.ca:/pub/cookbook/comp/ibm/pic84pgm.zip
>

David,

I received your message last week just fine.  I looked at the picprog.zip
files, and it also looks like a good setup for a programmer.  My only
problem with it is that it doesn't appear to include the source for the
software.  I guess that someone could just send email to the author, and
you may be able to get a copy.

Thank you again for the information.

Yours,

Derrick Early

1994\09\06@174409 by crocontroller discussion list

flavicon
face
On Sep 6, 11:13, David Tait wrote:
[stuff deleted]
>
> * I developed this project using a 20MHz 386DX machine and have
>   subsequently found the C version to be unreliable when used with my
>   33MHz 486DX.  Obviously a timing problem and I will try to fix this
>   when I get some spare time.  The Qbasic version still worked though,
>   and the C version worked with turbo mode switched off.

I've had this kind of problem before with other cctry connected to PC
parallel ports. One way to fix it is to edit the CMOS configuration of
the PC and slow down the 8-bit I/O access by adding a few wait states.
Maybe this can work in this case too.

-- Charles

1994\09\07@215702 by crocontroller discussion list

flavicon
face
On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, Charles Manning wrote:

> On Sep 6, 11:13, David Tait wrote:
> [stuff deleted]
> >
> > * I developed this project using a 20MHz 386DX machine and have
> >   subsequently found the C version to be unreliable when used with my
> >   33MHz 486DX.  Obviously a timing problem and I will try to fix this
> >   when I get some spare time.  The Qbasic version still worked though,
> >   and the C version worked with turbo mode switched off.
>
> I've had this kind of problem before with other cctry connected to PC
> parallel ports. One way to fix it is to edit the CMOS configuration of
> the PC and slow down the 8-bit I/O access by adding a few wait states.
> Maybe this can work in this case too.

In many cases the chips of the parallel card are too slow to alllow the
high speed switching of a fast card.  For instance, you might have a bt
set low, you then pulse the bit high, then a 486 clock cycle or two later
return it to low.  All fine in theory, but the card hasn't had time to
switch to the high state before it was instructed to return low.

Yeah, putting in wait delays will work.  Another one you could try is
feed the output of one or two of the bits back into parallel port. That
way, you could read when the card has made the switch.


Oh, by the way, I'm new to the PIC group.  Can anyone tell me something
about the PIC?  What it can do, features, nice stuff, etc?  Thanks.


Catcha,

Regards,

  Michael Kunstelj.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1994 , 1995 only
- Today
- New search...