Searching \ for '] USB to serial bridge' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/io/serials.htm?key=serial
Search entire site for: 'USB to serial bridge'.

Truncated match.
PICList Thread
'] USB to serial bridge'
2004\01\23@041128 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> Serial / USB bridge.
> (Almost) pain free USB interface.
> Evaluation kit $US49
> http://www.silabs.com/products/microcontroller/interface_matrix.asp

So it looks like a direct competitor of the FT232. Price at 100 (my kind
of level) is $4, a bit higher than the FT232. But why are the VCP
drivers shipped only as part of the evaluation kit? They should be
available directly for end users, like for the FT chips.

Seems like no improvement on the FT chips.


Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\01\23@051102 by George Smith

flavicon
face
On 23 Jan 2004, at 10:10, Wouter van Ooijen wrote:

> But why are the VCP
> drivers shipped only as part of the evaluation kit? They should be
> available directly for end users, like for the FT chips.

That is what worried me - cannot see anywhere on the site for the customer to
download an updated driver.


George Smith

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\01\23@054913 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
> > But why are the VCP
> > drivers shipped only as part of the evaluation kit? They should be
> > available directly for end users, like for the FT chips.
>
> That is what worried me - cannot see anywhere on the site for the customer
to
> download an updated driver.

They specifically note that you MUST buy an evaluation kit to get the
drivers.

I assume that the intention is that EVERY users has a working system with
proper RS232 interface, properly wired USB connector etc.

"It doesn't work with my xxx  ...."
'Have you tried it with the evaluation board."
"No."
"Call us back when you've tried it. Click"



   RM

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\01\23@055328 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> They specifically note that you MUST buy an evaluation kit to get the
> drivers.
>
> I assume that the intention is that EVERY users has a working
> system with
> proper RS232 interface, properly wired USB connector etc.
>
> "It doesn't work with my xxx  ...."
> 'Have you tried it with the evaluation board."
> "No."
> "Call us back when you've tried it. Click"

That might not be a problem when I am developing a product with the
chip, but what about my customers? I like the FTDI approach: I make the
gadget, FTDI supplies the (OS-dependent) drivers to the customers. Of
course my PC software is in Python so it is portable too :)

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\01\23@161441 by John N. Power

flavicon
face
> From:         Russell McMahon[SMTP:spam_OUTapptechTakeThisOuTspamPARADISE.NET.NZ]
> Sent:         Thursday, January 22, 2004 9:00 PM
> To:   .....PICLISTKILLspamspam@spam@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Subject:      [EE:] USB to serial bridge

> Serial / USB bridge.
> (Almost) pain free USB interface.
> Evaluation kit $US49

>        http://www.silabs.com/products/microcontroller/interface_matrix.asp

Jameco Electronics sells a complete USB to serial cable with software
for $29.95 US. P/N 213006CA     http://www.jameco.com

John Power

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2004\01\24@082221 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> > Serial / USB bridge.
> > (Almost) pain free USB interface.
> > Evaluation kit $US49

> Jameco Electronics sells a complete USB to serial cable with software
> for $29.95 US. P/N 213006CA     http://www.jameco.com

Comparing an evaluation kit to a product does not make much sense to me.
BTW as for a cheap USB-to-serial converter: I sell
http://www.voti.nl/shop/products.html#M-USB-SERIAL at $21.15.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...