Searching \ for '[TECH] PC motherboard help/suggestions - And the s' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=motherboard+helpsuggestions
Search entire site for: 'PC motherboard help/suggestions - And the s'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[TECH] PC motherboard help/suggestions - And the s'
2012\04\15@092505 by Carl Denk

flavicon
face


Ordered a Supermicro C2-SBC-Q motherboard from Provantage, installed it,
powered up expecting a nice splash screen on the monitor - NOTHING.
Twice now have switched the P4 and memory between the new board and
intermittent Intel board with same results. Intel powers up and runs
Linux at least for an hour. The new board powers up the CPU fan, but
even with only the power connected, an no memory or other things plugged
in, not one beep. Did swap PSU's also. Checked with supermicro techies,
they agree it's a MB problem, offered to RMA it. I'm going to try to
return it to Provantage for refund. In 2 weeks will be in Atlanta at
daughter's near Fry's store. Might take computer along and buy a MB
there, maybe even let them install it.

I have very seriously thought if it's something I'm doing, but seems to
be either very poor products, or a very unusual situation of quality
control gamble.

All these motherboards show some bare copper on the bottom with small
vias not filled holes, I still question is that is a a quality wave
soldering job, and if I can look at the board before accepting, a reason
to reject??  The Intel boards have no components on the bottom, the
supermicro has some small surface mount mainly under the CPU.

The older Intel boards were made in Ireland and bulletproof. The later
Intel boards I have and the Supermicro were all from China. I would
prefer USA made, but not likely I will find that. Trying hard to stay
away from China totally. Any suggestions?

On 4/11/2012 12:58 PM, V G wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2012\04\15@115302 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face


On Sun, Apr 15, 2012, at 09:25 AM, Carl Denk wrote:
> Ordered a Supermicro C2-SBC-Q motherboard from Provantage, installed it,
> powered up expecting a nice splash screen on the monitor - NOTHING.
> Twice now have switched the P4 and memory between the new board and
> intermittent Intel board with same results. Intel powers up and runs
> Linux at least for an hour. The new board powers up the CPU fan, but
> even with only the power connected, an no memory or other things plugged
> in, not one beep. Did swap PSU's also. Checked with supermicro techies,
> they agree it's a MB problem, offered to RMA it. I'm going to try to
> return it to Provantage for refund. In 2 weeks will be in Atlanta at
> daughter's near Fry's store. Might take computer along and buy a MB
> there, maybe even let them install it.
>
> I have very seriously thought if it's something I'm doing, but seems to
> be either very poor products, or a very unusual situation of quality
> control gamble.

Sounds to me like the CPU is not exactly the type that the motherboard
was tested for. Just because it says on the box doesn't mean it's one
that has been tested to work.

> All these motherboards show some bare copper on the bottom with small
> vias not filled holes, I still question is that is a a quality wave
> soldering job, and if I can look at the board before accepting, a reason
> to reject??  The Intel boards have no components on the bottom, the
> supermicro has some small surface mount mainly under the CPU.

No solder on vias isn't a problem.

> The older Intel boards were made in Ireland and bulletproof. The later
> Intel boards I have and the Supermicro were all from China. I would
> prefer USA made, but not likely I will find that. Trying hard to stay
> away from China totally. Any suggestions?

China is where high-tech manufacturing is done. That's just the way it
is. The reasons are beyond the scope of this discussion.

Have you considered changing your specifications and buying a ready-made
computer with a warranty? I gave up building computers several years ago
and I don't miss it. Sure, I don't have a parallel port, but I don't
really need one. The one printer I needed one for uses a JetDirect box
and hooks to ethernet.

Best regards,

Bob

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

2012\04\15@194944 by Carl Denk

flavicon
face


On 4/15/2012 11:53 AM, Bob Blick wrote:
>
> Sounds to me like the CPU is not exactly the type that the motherboard
> was tested for. Just because it says on the box doesn't mean it's one
> that has been tested to work.
>    
Interesting thought, hadn't considered that. The CPU isn't anything
extreme, more middle of the road, dual core P4 3Gig, 800mhz fsb, Intel
#930. Now that I have dug into this situation, I believe that is
correct, the older CPU is not compatible with the motherboard, and it
requires the newer technology Conroe series chip. Will confirm with
Supermicro Monday, and probably order a E8400 chip. The data sheet isn't
super clear on this, and I thought socket type, FSB, clock, etc. was
sufficient to have compatibility, but digging deeper this is not the
case! Buyer beware! Getting deeper into this than really wanted, but too
far gone to turn back. :(
> Have you considered changing your specifications and buying a ready-made
> computer with a warranty? I gave up building computers several years ago
> and I don't miss it. Sure, I don't have a parallel port, but I don't
> really need one. The one printer I needed one for uses a JetDirect box
> and hooks to ethernet.
>    
I have kept upgrading regularly, and couldn't see E-recycling new within
the last year or so energy efficient PSU, (2) 300G sata HDD, 2 year old
ATI HDTV video card. Case is old, but does good job. And I do still use
many of the legacy ports. This is actually my 2nd or backup computer,
but I try to keep it current also.
> Best regards,
>
> Bob
>    
Thanks much for the thoughts, I think you got the right item.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2012 , 2013 only
- Today
- New search...