Searching \ for '[SX]: What do I need?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/ubicom/devices.htm?key=sx
Search entire site for: 'What do I need?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[SX]: What do I need?'
2002\12\02@115613 by Bob Ammerman

picon face
Believe it or not I am thinking of developing a project on an SX48. I have a
need for multiple UARTs at high baud rates, and you just can't do that on a
PIC. The only dual UART PICs are high pin count monsters, and that isn't
very appealing either. PICs, of course, don't have the speed to do it by
bit-banging, but the SX certainly does.

So, just what do I need to:

1: Do in-circuit programming
2: Do in-circuit debugging
3: Develop in assembly language

Finally,

are there any assembler choices that would allow me to use mChip style
assembly mnemonics to develop for the SX?

Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
spam_OUTpiclist-unsubscribe-requestTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@120239 by mark

flavicon
face
Have you looked at ATMEL as a lower cost and higher speed alternative?

On 2 Dec 2002 at 11:50, Bob Ammerman wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@121902 by Mike Harrison

flavicon
face
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 11:50:06 -0500, you wrote:

>Believe it or not I am thinking of developing a project on an SX48. I have a
>need for multiple UARTs at high baud rates, and you just can't do that on a
>PIC. The only dual UART PICs are high pin count monsters, and that isn't
>very appealing either. PICs, of course, don't have the speed to do it by
>bit-banging, but the SX certainly does.

How many channels and how fast ?
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
.....piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@160323 by pearl62

picon face
Hi Bob,

How many channels do you need? Any limitations on clock frequency? What type
of UARTS (with or without handshake, buffers, etc.)?

Cheers,
Stephen

{Original Message removed}

2002\12\02@161633 by Jinx
face picon face
> So, just what do I need to:
>
> 1: Do in-circuit programming
> 2: Do in-circuit debugging
> 3: Develop in assembly language

Try SX-Key. SX-Blitz is the programmer-only version

http://www.parallaxinc.com/html_files/sxtech/sxtech_home.htm

http://www.sxlist.com/techref/parallax/sxkey.htm

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
EraseMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@163042 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
> are there any assembler choices that would allow me to use mChip style
> assembly mnemonics to develop for the SX?

In-line assembly in Jal uses uChip menmonics but targets (also) the
SX18, 28. I have not checked the 48, I'm not sure how different it is.

Note that the SX-es are 12-bit core clones with a few extensions. With a
few macros for the extensions and some tweak for the fuses (or set the
in the prog software) you can just use MPASM, but I don't recall whether
the SXbliz/SXkey software could read u uChip hex file.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
piclist-unsubscribe-requestspamspam_OUTmitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@163657 by pearl62

picon face
The SXKey software can read the hex output from MPASM, but you'll have to
manually configure the device features before programming.


{Original Message removed}

2002\12\02@174212 by Mike Singer

picon face
Bob Ammerman wrote:
> Believe it or not I am thinking of developing a project
> on an SX48. I have a need for multiple UARTs at high
> baud rates, and you just can't do that on a PIC. The
> only dual UART PICs are high pin count monsters,
> and that isn't very appealing either. PICs, of course,
> don't have the speed to do it by bit-banging, but the
> SX certainly does...

  May be I'm missing something, but I can't understand
are SX48 REALY much faster then 18FXXXX ?
  18FXXXX have more efficient code, so they are not
4 times slower.

  Mike.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
@spam@piclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@180232 by Jinx

face picon face
>    May be I'm missing something, but I can't understand
> are SX48 REALY much faster then 18FXXXX ?
>    18FXXXX have more efficient code, so they are not
> 4 times slower.

10MIPS vs 50 or 75MIPS is a big gap to close in s/w

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@200434 by pearl62

picon face
There's no way an 18Fxxxx can access IO at the speeds of an SX.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Singer" <RemoveMEmsingerTakeThisOuTspamPOLUOSTROV.NET>
To: <spamBeGonePICLISTspamBeGonespamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [SX]: What do I need?


{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestspamTakeThisOuTmitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@222629 by Bob Ammerman

picon face
> Bob Ammerman wrote:
> > Believe it or not I am thinking of developing a project
> > on an SX48. I have a need for multiple UARTs at high
> > baud rates, and you just can't do that on a PIC. The
> > only dual UART PICs are high pin count monsters,
> > and that isn't very appealing either. PICs, of course,
> > don't have the speed to do it by bit-banging, but the
> > SX certainly does...
>
>    May be I'm missing something, but I can't understand
> are SX48 REALY much faster then 18FXXXX ?
>    18FXXXX have more efficient code, so they are not
> 4 times slower.
>
>    Mike.

SX48 = 50 to 75 MIPS
18FXXX = 10MIPS (or less depending on the value of XXX)

This is a 5x to 7.5x (or higher) difference.

For the low-level stuff I need to do, the 18F's coding advantages are just
not very significant.
Call it perhaps 1.2 vs. the SX

So...

Net is 5x/1.2 = 4.167 to 7.5x/1.2 = 6.25

Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Singer" <msingerEraseMEspam.....POLUOSTROV.NET>
To: <EraseMEPICLISTspamMITVMA.MIT.EDU>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 4:44 PM
Subject: Re: [SX]: What do I need?

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
RemoveMEpiclist-unsubscribe-requestEraseMEspamEraseMEmitvma.mit.edu


2002\12\02@223318 by Bob Ammerman

picon face
Actually, I already have code for up to 8 bit-banged UARTS (I published the
receiver half of it on the piclist.com). This interrupt-driver code works by
doing 'vertical' operations on all 8 UARTS at once.

I can currently get 9600 baud on a 20Mhz PIC16F chip (5 MIPS), so I feel
this code will let me go up to 115,200 on the SX (up to 75 MIPS).

Bob Ammerman
RAm Systems

{Original Message removed}

2002\12\03@024842 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
>    May be I'm missing something, but I can't understand
> are SX48 REALY much faster then 18FXXXX ?
>    18FXXXX have more efficient code, so they are not
> 4 times slower.

An SX at 75 MHz run 75 (pic-12) MIPS (but 3 cycles for a jump), an 18F
at 10 MHz * 4 runs 10 (pic-16) MIPS. Voor certain tasks (for instance
bit-banging asynch comms) pic-12 and pic-16 don't differ that much.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...