Searching \ for ' [OT] Re: VIRUS WARNING' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=virus+warning
Search entire site for: 'Re: VIRUS WARNING'.

No exact or substring matches. trying for part
PICList Thread
'[PICLIST] [OT] Re: VIRUS WARNING'
2001\05\12@134607 by Mark Newland

flavicon
face
Better yet, use something better than Outlook.  Have never had a virus here
useing Netscape.

"Peter L. Peres" wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\05\12@182218 by Jinx

face picon face
> Better yet, use something better than Outlook.  Have never had
> a virus here useing Netscape.

A virus is only a problem if you're reckless enough to open an
attachment without scanning it - whatever your OS

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\05\12@184321 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Sun, 13 May 2001, Jinx wrote:

> > Better yet, use something better than Outlook.  Have never had
> > a virus here useing Netscape.
>
> A virus is only a problem if you're reckless enough to open an
> attachment without scanning it - whatever your OS

Nope, sorry.  Using Outlook in auto-preview mode (at least) will open the
door to several script virii that can be embedded within the HTML message
itself.  Outlook parses the files for the preview, and there you go.

Of course, it could be argued that using auto-preview mode is the same as
opening and executing certain attachments without checking them out first,
but only if the user is familiar enough to know that.  Micro$oft doesn't
advertise the fact.

I have a procmail filter that quarantines any executable atachments (that
I know about -- there are a frightening number of file types that get
executed without question by Windoze).  I pre-read email with Pine, then
only download the ones I need to keep into Outlook.  It sounds cumbersome,
but it's a lot easier to blow through 80 or 100 PICLIST messages a day in
Pine than using the Windows interface.

Dale
--
A train stops at a train station.  A bus stops at a bus station.
On my desk I have a workstation...

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\05\12@184951 by Alexandre Domingos F. Souza

flavicon
face
>I have a procmail filter that quarantines any executable atachments (that
>I know about -- there are a frightening number of file types that get
>executed without question by Windoze).  I pre-read email with Pine, then
>only download the ones I need to keep into Outlook.  It sounds cumbersome,
>but it's a lot easier to blow through 80 or 100 PICLIST messages a day in
>Pine than using the Windows interface.

       Nothing you are saying happens with me in Calypso. It's a GREAT mail program, and I never had ONE problem with it. Note I'm saying NEVER. This is the most stabile and trustyworty program I've ever seen. Lots of options and almost no bugs. A clear winner. And cheap as it could be. Note I NEVER used outlook, it's just plain crap :o)

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\05\12@233807 by Jinx

face picon face
> > A virus is only a problem if you're reckless enough to open an
> > attachment without scanning it - whatever your OS
>
> Nope, sorry.  Using Outlook in auto-preview mode (at least) will open
> the door to several script virii that can be embedded within the HTML
> message itself.  Outlook parses the files for the preview, and there
> you go.

Yes that's true, although the only one I'm aware of was the proof-of-
concept BubbleBoy. Fortunately that particular nasty hasn't become
a trend and viruses are still pretty basic and infection could be said
to be operator error. In just general terms it's unwise to open anything
(from anybody) without running AV first, including scanning mail .dbx
files, takes only a few seconds

> auto-preview mode
> Micro$oft doesn't advertise the fact

No, they don't, but it's easy enough to untick boxes in View/Layout

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


2001\05\13@002924 by Bill Westfield

face picon face
   I pre-read email with Pine, then only download the ones I need to keep
   into Outlook. sounds cumbersome ...  it's a lot easier to blow through
   80 or 100 PICLIST messages a day in Pine than using the Windows interface.

Heh.  I use a text-oriented mail reader for most of my mail myself.
(MM.  A unix clone of a tops20 program from the late seventies :-),
and it DOES seem to be much faster...

BillW

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2001\05\14@195400 by Ryan Miller

flavicon
face
It's also easy to go to Tools -> Options -> Security and change your e-mail
zone to "Restricted" . This disables the automatic running of scripts and
you can still use auto-preview. I also changed the file association for .VBS
files to Notepad since I have no reason to ever run VBS scripts on my
personal computer.

Ryan

> {Original Message removed}

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2001 , 2002 only
- Today
- New search...