Searching \ for '[PIC}:Project Idea' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Project Idea'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC}:Project Idea'
2002\11\14@055356 by cdb

flavicon
face
After wall mounting a beeping computer twice today - er the computer
was beeping that is, I thought aha a PIC based POST card that
converts those damned 900 assorted  beep Phoenix BIOS codes would be
an interesting idea - PCI based rather than ISA, haven't seen any
circuits for those since the early to mid 90s

Colin
--
cdb, spam_OUTcdbTakeThisOuTspambarnard.name on 14/11/2002



--
cdb, .....bodgy1KILLspamspam@spam@optusnet.com.au on 14/11/2002

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@135129 by Matt Heck

flavicon
face
> After wall mounting a beeping computer twice today - er the computer
> was beeping that is, I thought aha a PIC based POST card that
> converts those damned 900 assorted  beep Phoenix BIOS codes would be
> an interesting idea - PCI based rather than ISA, haven't seen any
> circuits for those since the early to mid 90s

...and the reason for that is that the old BIOS POST codes you remember
got dumped to the ISA bus, not PCI.  They were quite easy to decode-- a
couple of octal latches, some 7-segment LEDs, and a fifty-dollar markup
are what I remember being typical.  A handful of modern motherboards
have some surface-mount LEDs near the chipset to dump out POST
progress.

The problem dumping data to PCI, if memory serves-- and it may not-- is
that you need to have a target vendorID:productID to send the
information onto the bus; ISA was more of a "broadcast" idea (you can
actually switch the traffic on PCI, though this only happens on MBs with
lots of slots or extra bridges).

If you CAN build a product like you describe, it's a great idea, and the
best way to figure out if it's going to work is probably going to be to
get a PCI bus-traffic analyzer and see what you get when you boot up.

Of course, starting with the documentation may be slightly cheaper. =]

Cheers,
  Matt

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@140709 by Paul Hutchinson

flavicon
face
These guys make PCI POST boards http://www.uxd.com/products.html

If you can get your hands on one, maybe you can figure out how to make a PIC
based version.

Paul

> {Original Message removed}

2002\11\14@155923 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
Just stick a microphone on the PIC and hold it up to the computer.  Why
actually integrate it into the PC?  (GRIN)

Nate, natespamKILLspamnatetech.com

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 13:51, cdb wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@171100 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 08:51 PM 11/14/02 +0000, cdb wrote:
>After wall mounting a beeping computer twice today - er the computer
>was beeping that is,

Can I assume that the phrase "wall mounting" means launching the computer
towards the wall so fast that it embeds itself in the wall?

How many times can you do that before it stops making any noise at all?

dwayne


--
Dwayne Reid   <dwaynerspamspam_OUTplanet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 18 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2002)
 .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-
    `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@173851 by cdb

flavicon
face
Isn't that what embedded computing is all about??? :)

Colin
--
cdb, @spam@bodgy1KILLspamspamoptusnet.com.au on 15/11/2002

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@174106 by Steve Smith

flavicon
face
Isnt that the idea behind embedded firmware. embedded software dosent
mark the wall it just falls on the floor !

Steve...

{Original Message removed}

2002\11\14@191638 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> ...and the reason for that is that the old BIOS POST codes you remember
> got dumped to the ISA bus, not PCI.  They were quite easy to decode-- a
> couple of octal latches, some 7-segment LEDs, and a fifty-dollar markup
> are what I remember being typical.  A handful of modern motherboards
> have some surface-mount LEDs near the chipset to dump out POST
> progress.
>
> The problem dumping data to PCI, if memory serves-- and it may not-- is
> that you need to have a target vendorID:productID to send the
> information onto the bus; ISA was more of a "broadcast" idea (you can
> actually switch the traffic on PCI, though this only happens on MBs with
> lots of slots or extra bridges).
>
> If you CAN build a product like you describe, it's a great idea, and the
> best way to figure out if it's going to work is probably going to be to
> get a PCI bus-traffic analyzer and see what you get when you boot up.

       In all boards I've seen the post code info is "broadcast" to IO address 80
the same as ISA. I actually built a PCI based post card for work this past
year, used CPLDs (a PIC would be too slow alone), worked quite well. TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@192059 by Matt Heck

flavicon
face
Hey, if you want a list of Vendor and Product IDs, along with other
things, don't forget to check the tech manuals that Compaq (uh, HP)
and so forth put out.  Sometimes those "name-brands" have some really
sweet extra diagnostics-- it's one of the few good things about
prebuilts (well, OK, and they work out of the box without BIOS tweaks,
but hey, that's half the fun =] ).

I just had to poke through the tech manual for my Deskpro, and there's
a LOT of info in there about the memory system, PCI, etc.  Might jog
your brain a bit.

Cheers,
  Matt


> {Original Message removed}

2002\11\14@192319 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
> These guys make PCI POST boards http://www.uxd.com/products.html
>
> If you can get your hands on one, maybe you can figure out how to
> make a PIC
> based version.

       I doubt a PIC based version is possible unless you've got some support
components, the PCI bus runs at 33MHz, I don't know of a PIC that can run
that fast (perhaps one of the 18 series?). TTYL

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




2002\11\14@220341 by cdb

flavicon
face
Well I had in mind the 18 series and using an LCD to give text rather
than code numbers information.

colin
--
cdb, KILLspambodgy1KILLspamspamoptusnet.com.au on 15/11/2002

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics




More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...