Searching \ for '[PIC] Wisp628 not working under Windows XP?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=wisp
Search entire site for: 'Wisp628 not working under Windows XP?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Wisp628 not working under Windows XP?'
2005\05\19@000114 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face
I have made two Wisp628 based programmers (one is using EasyISP firmware
and use Olin's picprog program. The other is using Wisp628 firmware
andXwisp2).
Both were working under Windows 98. Recently I have my computer upgraded to
Windows XP professional and now both are not working.

The error messages are copied here.

What could be wrong here? Is it because I only has user right (not
an administrator)?

Xiaofan

__________________________________________________
C:\Myprog\wisp628\XWISP>xwisp2w com2 read test.hex
 XWisp2 version 1.5.03 (Sep 06 2004, Open Watcom C 1.30)
SendReceiveSlow read timeout
Failed to activate Wbus device
XWisp2 failed after 1.05 seconds, rc 23!

C:\embedinc\com>pic_read -sio 2 -pic 12F629 -hex test.hex
No response was received from the programmer.  The programmer may be
powered
off or not connected to COM2.
Error occurred on attempt to open a new use of the PICPRG library.
*** Program aborted on error. ***
______________________________

2005\05\19@031241 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Chen Xiao Fan wrote :

> I have made two Wisp628 based programmers (one is using
> EasyISP firmware and use Olin's picprog program. The other
> is using Wisp628 firmware andXwisp2).
> Both were working under Windows 98. Recently I have my
> computer upgraded to Windows XP professional and now
> both are not working.

When you say "made", what does that mean ? Have you build
two *original* Wisp628's or have you put them together from
the info on Wouter's web page ?

Anyway, I have used both Wisp628's built from original
kits from Wouter and one (my first) built by myself on
both W98, W2K and WinXP without any problem at all.
On WinXP using both direct serial connection and using
a USB/serial converter.

> The error messages are copied here.
>
> What could be wrong here? Is it because I only has user right (not
> an administrator)?

Isn't that very easy to test yourself ?

I've no idea if that would be a problem. At least Xwisp2 uses
standard Win32 API's to setup the serial port. Speed and other
things. I have no idea if you can not do that as a user with
non-administrative rights.

I could of course test using a normal user, but I think it's
better if you run the tests since it's your problems... :-)

Anyway, *if* there is any problem like this on WinXP, I would
have thought that I had known about it by now.

B.t.w, make sure that your Wisp628 realy *is* connected
to COM2 !! And powered on !

Best Regards,
Jan-Erik.

{Quote hidden}

> --

2005\05\19@035934 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Chen Xiao Fan wrote :

> What could be wrong here? Is it because I only has
> user right (not an administrator)?

No, not on *my* WinXP installation at least.
Just created a non-admin user, and Xwisp2/Wisp628
works like a charm...

Jan-Erik.



2005\05\19@044024 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face
Thank a lot. Then it is not the problem with the software.
Right now we only has user right for most of the desktop
PCs in the office. I have problems with MPLAB 7.10 before
so I was thinking whether it was the same problem.

I will check the hardware now. Both are on breadboard now.
Maybe I need to transfer them on a soldered board and see if
it works.

Xiaofan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jan-Erik Soderholm [spam_OUTjan-erik.soderholmTakeThisOuTspamtelia.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 4:00 PM
To: .....piclistKILLspamspam@spam@mit.edu
Subject: RE: [PIC] Wisp628 not working under Windows XP?


Chen Xiao Fan wrote :

> What could be wrong here? Is it because I only has
> user right (not an administrator)?

No, not on *my* WinXP installation at least.
Just created a non-admin user, and Xwisp2/Wisp628
works like a charm...

Jan-Erik.

2005\05\19@045652 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Chen Xiao Fan wrote :

> I will check the hardware now. Both are on breadboard now.
> Maybe I need to transfer them on a soldered board and see if
> it works.

Are the Wisp628's on breadboards !?
Why not just get a bunch of kits from Wouter ?
Or, even better, since you are running some kind
of professional business (right ?), get them
ready-built and tested from Wouter !

You must have plenty of time... :-) :-)

Jan-Erik.



2005\05\19@090325 by olin_piclist

face picon face
Chen Xiao Fan wrote:
> C:\embedinc\com>pic_read -sio 2 -pic 12F629 -hex test.hex
> No response was received from the programmer.  The programmer may be
> powered
> off or not connected to COM2.
> Error occurred on attempt to open a new use of the PICPRG library.
> *** Program aborted on error. ***

This means there was no communication at all between the PC and the
programmer.  This has nothing to do with what type of target chip is
connected, or whether one is connected at all.  It also means that the
program was able to allocate the COM port for its use, so being system
administrator or not isn't the issue.  You would have gotten a message
something like "Unable to open system serial port" if the program couldn't
get to the COM port.

I'm sure you checked these things, but is the serial cable properly plugged
into both ends?  Is it really plugged into COM2 not COM1?  Are you sure the
programmer is powered up?


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

2005\05\19@221240 by Chen Xiao Fan

face
flavicon
face
Thanks for all the help.

I made a stupid mistake. Since both are on the same small breadboard,
I was using xwsip2w with the Wisp628 with modified EasyISP firmware
and pic_read with the original Wisp628. Both were of course not
working. I should have notice the label on the 16F628/16F648 but
the print on the chips are a bit washed out.

Now they are both working again. I need to transfer them to a
hard-wired board and label them properly.

Very sorry to waste your time.

Xiaofan

2005\05\20@031511 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Chen Xiao Fan wrote :

> Thanks for all the help.
>
> I made a stupid mistake. Since both are on the same small breadboard,
> I was using xwsip2w with the Wisp628 with modified EasyISP firmware
> and pic_read with the original Wisp628...
>
> Very sorry to waste your time.
>
> Xiaofan

He he, well, you *could* have said it was something
completly different and we had never known, right ? :-) :-)

Jan-Erik.



More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...