Searching \ for '[PIC] Standalone (pushbutton) programmer' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=programmer
Search entire site for: 'Standalone (pushbutton) programmer'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Standalone (pushbutton) programmer'
2007\08\31@173106 by Steve Baldwin

flavicon
face
I'm looking for a standalone, pushbutton programmer for the 16HV610, or
perhaps something that's well on the way.

The product is a dense mains powered board and pretty much any
production fault could potentially put mains onto the programmer, so I'd
rather sacrifice a few programmers than have an external PC and sacrifice a
few operators.

There are a few options that go some of the way like Olin's USBProg or
ICD2, but I'd still have to add on a board to send commands, data, etc. In
which case, it's a similar effort to build a programmer.

Steve.



2007\08\31@175244 by PAUL James

picon face


Why not use optoisolators in each of the programming lines.   That way,
no mains power could enter the programmer, computer or operator.

       
Regards,

       
Jim

{Original Message removed}

2007\08\31@181509 by alan smith

picon face
Or...have a connector to give the board a safe DC supply to program the chip? Then disconnect before attaching back to mains.  I just use the ICD2 and power from it, just to program the part.

PAUL James <spam_OUTJames.PaulTakeThisOuTspamcolibrys.com> wrote:  

Why not use optoisolators in each of the programming lines. That way,
no mains power could enter the programmer, computer or operator.


Regards,


Jim

{Original Message removed}

2007\08\31@185326 by Steve Baldwin

flavicon
face

On 31 Aug 2007 at 16:52, PAUL James wrote:

> Why not use optoisolators in each of the programming lines.   That
> way, no mains power could enter the programmer, computer or operator.

It's not quite so straight forward with one of the lines being bidirectional
unless you are doing the programmer yourself.
I could opto-isolate the comms to the PC. I have to admit, I hadn't thought of
that. Thanks.
Seems like a lot of bench space to give the user a button to press, though.


Steve.

2007\08\31@223649 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 9/1/07, Steve Baldwin <.....steveKILLspamspam@spam@tla.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 31 Aug 2007 at 16:52, PAUL James wrote:
>
> > Why not use optoisolators in each of the programming lines.   That
> > way, no mains power could enter the programmer, computer or operator.
>
> It's not quite so straight forward with one of the lines being bidirectional
> unless you are doing the programmer yourself.

This is true.

> I could opto-isolate the comms to the PC. I have to admit, I hadn't thought of
> that. Thanks. Seems like a lot of bench space to give the user a button
> to press, though.

If you use USB based programmer then it is not easy to isolate the
communication between PC and the programmer but it is still doable
with an isolated hub from B&B Electronics.

http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?SKU=UISOHUB4

If you use RS232 based programmer, then it should be easier.

If you use Promate III (both serial and USB), then there is another
mechanical based solution since it supports standalone operation
without a PC. You need only to download the program once and
then design a remote controlled mechanical switch to press
the buttons. Just a thought, might not be easy. :-)

And for production, ICD2/USBprog/PICkit2 are anyway not
recommended. Microchip Promate III and Proprog from Olin
are the two cheaper low quantity production grade programmer.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2007\08\31@233024 by Steve Baldwin

flavicon
face

On 1 Sep 2007 at 10:36, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> If you use Promate III (both serial and USB), then there is another
> mechanical based solution since it supports standalone operation
> without a PC. You need only to download the program once and then
> design a remote controlled mechanical switch to press the buttons.
> Just a thought, might not be easy. :-)

Promate is pretty close to a good solution if I do program and test as two
operations.

I'd prefer the instructions to be
1) Put in box and close lid
2) Open lid when light turns red or green or smoke comes out.
3) If the light was green, put in box. Otherwise throw in trash.

> And for production, ICD2/USBprog/PICkit2 are anyway not
> recommended. Microchip Promate III and Proprog from Olin
> are the two cheaper low quantity production grade programmer.

The part is an HV610 with the internal regulator so multi Vcc isn't
appropriate as programming is done at 4.5V Vcc anyway.

Is the ICD2 serial protocol published/known ?

Steve.


'[PIC] Standalone (pushbutton) programmer'
2007\09\01@055142 by Xiaofan Chen
face picon face
On 9/1/07, Steve Baldwin <stevespamKILLspamtla.co.nz> wrote:
>
> On 1 Sep 2007 at 10:36, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>
> > If you use Promate III (both serial and USB), then there is another
> > mechanical based solution since it supports standalone operation
> > without a PC. You need only to download the program once and then
> > design a remote controlled mechanical switch to press the buttons.
> > Just a thought, might not be easy. :-)
>
> Promate is pretty close to a good solution if I do program and test as two
> operations.
>
> I'd prefer the instructions to be
> 1) Put in box and close lid
> 2) Open lid when light turns red or green or smoke comes out.
> 3) If the light was green, put in box. Otherwise throw in trash.

This was what we did for high voltage test. Promate III has a
command line version which allows you to script the program
and thus program and test at one go. You just need to integrate
Promate III to your test jig and testing program.

> > And for production, ICD2/USBprog/PICkit2 are anyway not
> > recommended. Microchip Promate III and Proprog from Olin
> > are the two cheaper low quantity production grade programmer.
>
> The part is an HV610 with the internal regulator so multi Vcc isn't
> appropriate as programming is done at 4.5V Vcc anyway.
>
> Is the ICD2 serial protocol published/known ?
>

ICD2 serial protocol (for programming or debugging) is not known
to the public. piklab project has some success to get ICD2 (USB/serial)
to work under Linux with reverse engineering. As a side product,
there is a Windows command line program to use ICD2 as a
programmer as well. I am not so sure how well it works though
since I do not have a proper ICD2 now.

On the other hand, PICkit 2 source codes are freely available.

All in all, I think Promate III is quite a good investment for your
purpose.

Regards,
Xiaofan

2007\09\02@114505 by Charles Craft

picon face
Can't find Promate III on Microchip site.
Is it now the MPLAB PM3 Universal Device Programmer ?
(Part Number: DV007004)

{Original Message removed}

2007\09\02@190519 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 9/2/07, Charles Craft <.....chuckseaKILLspamspam.....mindspring.com> wrote:
> Can't find Promate III on Microchip site.
> Is it now the MPLAB PM3 Universal Device Programmer ?
> (Part Number: DV007004)

Yes. http://www.microchip.com/pm3/

2007\09\02@194926 by Zik Saleeba

face picon face
Has anyone tried the SoftLog ICP2 (not ICD2) sold by microchipdirect?
It's billed as a standalone production programmer. At $399 compared to
$895 for the PM3 it seems like a bargain.

-------------
Part Number:  TPG100001 - SoftLog ICP2 Production Quality ICSP
Programmer by Softlog Systems

         The ICP2 Production Quality In-Circuit (ICSP) Programmer is a
cost-effective programmer that operates with a PC or as a standalone
unit, and programs Microchip(R) 8-bit PIC(R) MCUs and serial EEPROMs.
It features fast programming, 250mA Vdd drive current, programmable
Vdd (2.0 to 5.5V) and Vpp (2.0 to 13.5V), programmable delay between
Vdd and Vpp (0.1 to 250ms), programmable clock/data speed (500KHz to
2.5MHz) and on-board 1MByte flash memory. ICP2 is fully integrated
into MPLAB(R) via plug-in.

www.microchipdirect.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Catalog=BuyMicrochip&Category=Programmers&mid=13

2007\09\02@204346 by Steve Baldwin

flavicon
face
Thanks Zik. That looks like it will do exactly what I want straight out of the
box. Although, should I be put off by them calling it a "Quality In-Curcuit"
Programmer ?

Steve.


On 3 Sep 2007 at 9:49, Zik Saleeba wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> ip&Category=Programmers&mid=1

2007\09\02@211532 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On 9/3/07, Zik Saleeba <EraseMEzikspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTzikzak.net> wrote:
> Has anyone tried the SoftLog ICP2 (not ICD2) sold by microchipdirect?
> It's billed as a standalone production programmer. At $399 compared to
> $895 for the PM3 it seems like a bargain.
>

This looks nice. So Promate III and Olin's Proprog got a serious
competitor now.

Regards,
Xiaofan

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...