Searching \ for '[PIC] Picstart upgrade problems' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Picstart upgrade problems'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Picstart upgrade problems'
2005\05\11@180103 by Rob Robson

flavicon
face
In order to get my 3-year-old Picstart Plus to program an 18F452, I've obtained a new 17C44 (instead of the more expensive PUM) and programmed it with the last (v3.11) firmware upgrade, which I downloaded from Microchip.  I confirmed the 17C44 was blank beforehand, and verified its contents after programming.  After installing the new 17C44 as per Microchip's instructions, the Picstart reports the new version when Enable Programmer is clicked in MPLAB (v5.50), but MPLAB still reports the old Picstart firmware version in Help...About.  MPLAB also still gives me the "Unsupported Device" error when I try to enable the programmer with an 18F452 project open.  How do I "tell" MPLAB 5.50 (which has always listed the 18F452 as a supported device) that the Picstart is running new firmware?  I can't find this info on Microchip's site.

Sorry for the long post...just trying to be clear and thorough.

Thanks,
RR

2005\05\11@181247 by Rob Robson

flavicon
face
Never mind - I've just discovered that there's a compatibility issue between
MPLAB v5.50 and the Picstart v3.11 firmware.  Time to download a new MPLAB,
I guess.

RR

{Original Message removed}

2005\05\11@182648 by olin_piclist

face picon face
Rob Robson wrote:
> In order to get my 3-year-old Picstart Plus to program an 18F452,
> I've obtained a new 17C44 (instead of the more expensive PUM) and
> programmed it with the last (v3.11) firmware upgrade, which I
> downloaded from Microchip.  I confirmed the 17C44 was blank
> beforehand, and verified its contents after programming.  After
> installing the new 17C44 as per Microchip's instructions, the
> Picstart reports the new version when Enable Programmer is clicked in
> MPLAB (v5.50), but MPLAB still reports the old Picstart firmware
> version in Help...About.  MPLAB also still gives me the "Unsupported
> Device" error when I try to enable the programmer with an 18F452
> project open.  How do I "tell" MPLAB 5.50 (which has always listed
> the 18F452 as a supported device) that the Picstart is running new
> firmware?  I can't find this info on Microchip's site.

I think the real solution is not to be using archaic tools in the first
place.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

2005\05\11@190408 by Jinx

face picon face
> > In order to get my 3-year-old Picstart Plus to program an 18F452,
> > I've obtained a new 17C44 (instead of the more expensive PUM)
>
> I think the real solution is not to be using archaic tools in the first
> place.

It didn't take too many new products and necessary upgrades for
me to realise it was plainly false economy to keep using the "cheaper"
17C44 instead of stumping up for the PUM

"cheaper" here means RS is prettty much the only game in town for
one-offs. And they ain't that cheap

2005\05\11@193241 by olin_piclist

face picon face
Jinx wrote:
> It didn't take too many new products and necessary upgrades for
> me to realise it was plainly false economy to keep using the "cheaper"
> 17C44 instead of stumping up for the PUM

I got a pair of 17C44-JW many years ago that I kept for the two Picstart+
around here.  I probably updated the firmware about 4-5 times since then,
but I haven't used a Picstart+ in a couple of years now.  I haven't bought
the PUM yet, but I certainly would without hesitation if I needed the
Picstarts again for some reason.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...