Searching \ for '[PIC] PICKIT2 Troubles, was ICD2 troubles' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=icd
Search entire site for: 'PICKIT2 Troubles, was ICD2 troubles'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] PICKIT2 Troubles, was ICD2 troubles'
2007\12\21@113835 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
Well, my PicKit2 Clone  arrived. I am down at the office, trying to
get it to work on the 10 WinXP sp2 systems. This was my last hope
to use it to replace ICD2.

So far, it does not work; in fact, it locks up MPLAB8 and requires
CTL-ALT-DEL action to pull out of it. That's ONE PC down.
Now, I'll try the lab PC that the IT guys don't know about...yet...

--Bob A


2007\12\21@120825 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
Bob,

With MPLAB8 I had a similar problem during installation (selected PicKit2
drivers as well, so it could be the case). Previously I thought I has some
relation to Vista, but... so during install MPLAB8 stopped responding, then
I left it there for an hour or so - had a lunch - and I was surprised that I
got over it. After that it was ok, since then I could use it fine, no
mysterious behaviours so far.

Tamas


On Dec 21, 2007 4:38 PM, Bob Axtell <spam_OUTengineerTakeThisOuTspamcotse.net> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2007\12\21@121718 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
Tamas Rudnai wrote:
> Bob,
>
> With MPLAB8 I had a similar problem during installation (selected PicKit2
> drivers as well, so it could be the case). Previously I thought I has some
> relation to Vista, but... so during install MPLAB8 stopped responding, then
> I left it there for an hour or so - had a lunch - and I was surprised that I
> got over it. After that it was ok, since then I could use it fine, no
> mysterious behaviours so far.
>
> Tamas
>  

er.. Pickit2 Drivers? what pickit2 drivers? No notice  of such a thing
anywhere in MPLAB8 documentation...
Maybe you can fill me in...

--Bob
{Quote hidden}

>> --

2007\12\21@144223 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
> er.. Pickit2 Drivers? what pickit2 drivers? No notice  of such a thing
> anywhere in MPLAB8 documentation...
> Maybe you can fill me in...

Well, used wrong terms for that, that's not really a driver, that's a COM
server. If you go to Microchip directory and then MPLAB IDE/PicKit2 you'll
see the dll. If you try to register or unregister it with RegSvr32 many
times it gives an error - so not sure if during the installation what's
going on but my guess it that it tries to register but fails for some reason
and retries and retries and retries... It's just a guess but could be
something else, never been interested to look into this, just noticed this
behaviour.

Tamas




On Dec 21, 2007 5:16 PM, Bob Axtell <engineerspamKILLspamcotse.net> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

2007\12\21@214437 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Dec 22, 2007 1:16 AM, Bob Axtell <EraseMEengineerspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTcotse.net> wrote:
> er.. Pickit2 Drivers? what pickit2 drivers? No notice  of such a thing
> anywhere in MPLAB8 documentation...
> Maybe you can fill me in...
>

PICkit 2 is an HID device, so no driver is needed.

I have two original PICkit 2 units and it is working fine under
Windows XP2.

If you have problems with MPLAB 8.0, you may want to go
back to MPLAB 7.62 or use the latest MPLAB 8.01.

Xiaofan

2007\12\22@055336 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
Xiaofan Chen wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007 1:16 AM, Bob Axtell <engineerspamspam_OUTcotse.net> wrote:
>  
>> er.. Pickit2 Drivers? what pickit2 drivers? No notice  of such a thing
>> anywhere in MPLAB8 documentation...
>> Maybe you can fill me in...
>>
>>    
>
> PICkit 2 is an HID device, so no driver is needed.
>
> I have two original PICkit 2 units and it is working fine under
> Windows XP2.
>
> If you have problems with MPLAB 8.0, you may want to go
> back to MPLAB 7.62 or use the latest MPLAB 8.01.
>
> Xiaofan
>  
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, too.

er.. WHAT WinXP sp2? PRO  edition or HOME edition?

--Bob

2007\12\22@063620 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Dec 22, 2007 6:53 PM, Bob Axtell <@spam@engineerKILLspamspamcotse.net> wrote:
> >
> > PICkit 2 is an HID device, so no driver is needed.
> >
> > I have two original PICkit 2 units and it is working fine under
> > Windows XP2.
>
> Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, too.
>
> er.. WHAT WinXP sp2? PRO  edition or HOME edition?
>

Both Pro and Home.

Xiaofan


'[PIC] PICKIT2 Troubles, was ICD2 troubles'
2008\01\02@111451 by Bob Axtell
face picon face
Tamas Rudnai wrote:
>> er.. Pickit2 Drivers? what pickit2 drivers? No notice  of such a thing
>> anywhere in MPLAB8 documentation...
>> Maybe you can fill me in...
>>    
>
> Well, used wrong terms for that, that's not really a driver, that's a COM
> server. If you go to Microchip directory and then MPLAB IDE/PicKit2 you'll
> see the dll. If you try to register or unregister it with RegSvr32 many
> times it gives an error - so not sure if during the installation what's
> going on but my guess it that it tries to register but fails for some reason
> and retries and retries and retries... It's just a guess but could be
> something else, never been interested to look into this, just noticed this
> behaviour.
>
> Tamas
>
>  
Ya know, I NEVER saw a DLL in that directory. Now I am REALLY puzzled.

I thought PICKIT2 was a Human Interface Device, needing no special drivers.

I'd like to get this clone  running if possible....


--Bob

2008\01\02@123517 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
Hi Bob,

Yes, PicKit2 is on a HID interface so you do not need additional Windows
Device Driver, however, you need a "plugin" for MPLAB - I wrongly used the
name driver for that, sorry about the confusion.

You should see something like this:

Directory of D:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\PICkit 2

23/07/2007  18:18    <DIR>          .
23/07/2007  18:18    <DIR>          ..
29/06/2006  16:11            60,168 hlpPICkit2.chm
11/05/2006  01:45             1,397 PIC16F917 PICKit 2 DE.hex
07/07/2006  10:27           249,856 *PICkit2.dll*
07/07/2006  10:27               128 PICkit2.sig
11/05/2006  01:46            36,084 PK2V011007.hex
              5 File(s)        347,633 bytes

That DLL is a COM server that has to be registered - when I try to do that
manually using RegSvr32.exe then it displays some error messages that it has
been failed. I am not sure what's going on during the installation of MPLAB
8, it may related to this or may not, but I certainly had a problem - MPLAB
install hangs but NOT forever! I left it for half an hour or so and when I
went back to the computer it was finished with installation. Well, after
then I had to re-run the install and manually select MPASM and some other
tools but after all was ok (no ridiculous delaying) and since then I could
use PicKit2 from MPLAB 8 without any problem - touch wood.

Also MPLAB8 tries to upgrade the firmware at the first time it sees the
programmer, so I am not sure if that clone is ok with that? If not you may
be able to manually push the firmware into it or run the PicKit2 standalone
software to doing it so? (the firmware is the PK2*.hex in that directory)

I know it's a black magic but thought I share my experience.

Regards
Tamas



On Jan 2, 2008 4:14 PM, Bob Axtell <KILLspamengineerKILLspamspamcotse.net> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\01\02@131625 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
Thank you SO much. I found the DLL.

--Bob A

Tamas Rudnai wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>> --

2008\01\02@183855 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Dec 22, 2007 12:38 AM, Bob Axtell <spamBeGoneengineerspamBeGonespamcotse.net> wrote:
> Well, my PicKit2 Clone  arrived. I am down at the office, trying to
> get it to work on the 10 WinXP sp2 systems. This was my last hope
> to use it to replace ICD2.
>

To troubleshoot this issue, you may want to try the following steps.

1. Check if PICkit 2 is recognized by Windows. It is an HID
device so you can see two entries in Device Manager. Its
VID:PID is 04d8:0033.

2. Check if the standalone PC application V2.4 is working or not.

If the above two steps are both ok, then you have a MPLAB problem.
3. Reinstall MPLAB 8.0 to see if it solves the problem.

If step 1 or 2 failed, you may want to check the PICkit 2 FAQs on the
top of Microchip Programmer Forum section.
http://forum.microchip.com/tt.aspx?forumid=15

It is said that PICkit 2 has some problems with some USB ports.
http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=300689

Xiaofan

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...