Searching \ for '[PIC] Latest On ICD2s NOT working, etc: FIXED' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devprogs.htm?key=icd
Search entire site for: 'Latest On ICD2s NOT working, etc: FIXED'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Latest On ICD2s NOT working, etc: FIXED'
2007\12\29@203248 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
The IT department had installed AVG 7.5 on all machines, but
told me that AVG could be completely disabled from the front
ICON. So, we ran tests with AVG ICON ON and then OFF,
and still nothing worked.

On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.

You folks with AVG might want to MARK this post.

--Bob Axtell

2007\12\29@210058 by Dario Greggio

face picon face
Bob Axtell wrote:
> On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
> completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.

I always remove Antiviruses when something is not working properly on
PCs where it should...


--
Ciao, Dario

2007\12\29@211151 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
Dario Greggio wrote:
> Bob Axtell wrote:
>  
>> On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
>> completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.
>>    
>
> I always remove Antiviruses when something is not working properly on
> PCs where it should...
>
>
>  
_NOW_ you  tell me....(<G>)

Happy New Year, All!

--Bob A

2007\12\29@213044 by Rolf

face picon face
Bob Axtell wrote:
> The IT department had installed AVG 7.5 on all machines, but
> told me that AVG could be completely disabled from the front
> ICON. So, we ran tests with AVG ICON ON and then OFF,
> and still nothing worked.
>
> On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
> completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.
>
> You folks with AVG might want to MARK this post.
>
> --Bob Axtell
>  
Hmmm.

For the record. I use AVG free edition at home with Win2K system, and
ICD2. No problems for me. I know my system is mostly unlike yours, but,
AVG does not appear to be a factor for me.

Rolf

2007\12\29@215226 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Dec 30, 2007 10:30 AM, Rolf <spam_OUTlearrTakeThisOuTspamrogers.com> wrote:
> Bob Axtell wrote:
> > The IT department had installed AVG 7.5 on all machines, but
> > told me that AVG could be completely disabled from the front
> > ICON. So, we ran tests with AVG ICON ON and then OFF,
> > and still nothing worked.
> >
> > On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
> > completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.
> >
> > You folks with AVG might want to MARK this post.
> >
>
> For the record. I use AVG free edition at home with Win2K system, and
> ICD2. No problems for me. I know my system is mostly unlike yours, but,
> AVG does not appear to be a factor for me.
>

Same here. Windows XP SP2 Professional + AVG Free 7.5.516. ICD2
(a clone from pic16.com which has some problem with the on-board
power supply so that I normally do not use it) works fine under MPLAB 8.0.

I think there may be some kind of weird software confliction with Bob
Axtell's computer.

Xiaofan

2007\12\29@220232 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 18:32 -0700, Bob Axtell wrote:
> The IT department had installed AVG 7.5 on all machines, but
> told me that AVG could be completely disabled from the front
> ICON. So, we ran tests with AVG ICON ON and then OFF,
> and still nothing worked.
>
> On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
> completely. Now all the  ICD2's work perfectly.
>
> You folks with AVG might want to MARK this post.

I'm really happy to hear you've figured it out.

Yet another reason to run your "own" machine at work! :) (by own I mean
a machine never touched by IT).

TTYL

2007\12\29@222837 by William \Chops\ Westfield

face picon face
>> I always remove Antiviruses when something is not
>> working properly on PCs where it should...

Removing the IT department's anti-virus protection on
workplace computers is usually rather frowned upon.  I
think here it is considered something that they can get
officially angry about if they want to.  ("Willful
Violation of the Information Security Policy", etc.)

I'd be curious to know why AVG seems to break things, and
whether it has configuration that can be modified to stop
the breakage.  Does it have any logging that you can read
through?

BillW


2007\12\30@004236 by Sean Breheny

face picon face
If it is of any use, I've seen two previous cases of antivirus
software causing problems:

1) Norton AV once prevented me from properly using the CD drive unless
it was disabled.

2) AVG once thought that a DLL which was part of Metrowerks
Codewarrior was a virus and would keep deleting it until I flagged it
as a known good file.

Sean


On Dec 29, 2007 10:28 PM, William Chops Westfield <.....westfwKILLspamspam@spam@mac.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2007\12\30@101544 by Carl Denk

flavicon
face
AVG does have a history log, but it doesn't show offending file name.
AVG does tell you the offending file name when it finds it, and then
what you want to do. I have been using AVG for several years with much
less issues than Norton, and before that Symantec. I don't know exactly
which is keeping me safe, but I have a Zoom X6 ADSL router with wireless
(haven't used  yet), Zonealarm firewall, AVG, Spybot, Adaware, and
spyware blaster. I run the tests every week or 2. The biggest issues are
Zonealarm with it asking to allow new (or updated) software to access
the web (and you can choose one time or always) and Spybot asking for
permission on registry changes. I do not disable anything for installs.
The only possible install issue might have been CD/DVD burning, but NERO
8 went in and flew just fine recently with no disabling. I do use MPLAB,
but my burner is the Microengineering EPIC parallel for the small stuff
I do, though thinking of getting something more versatile since I like
the bigger chips with to UARTS for future projects.

William "Chops" Westfield wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2007\12\30@102601 by Funny NYPD

picon face
Symantec used to have a similiar issue couple of years ago, but fixed it quick with new releases.

Funny N.
New Bedford, MA
http://www.AuElectronics.selfip.com



{Original Message removed}

2007\12\31@115122 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
William "Chops" Westfield wrote:
>>> I always remove Antiviruses when something is not
>>> working properly on PCs where it should...
>>>      
>
> Removing the IT department's anti-virus protection on
> workplace computers is usually rather frowned upon.  I
> think here it is considered something that they can get
> officially angry about if they want to.  ("Willful
> Violation of the Information Security Policy", etc.)
>
> I'd be curious to know why AVG seems to break things, and
> whether it has configuration that can be modified to stop
> the breakage.  Does it have any logging that you can read
> through?
>
> BillW
>
>
>  
We will let the IT guys try to sort it out. But at least for two of
their 9 PC's, the
ICD2s work fine.

--Bob

2007\12\31@115655 by alan smith

picon face
I run AVG and have no issues at all with MPLAB or ICD2 or PICKIT2 devices

Bob Axtell <engineerspamKILLspamcotse.net> wrote:  The IT department had installed AVG 7.5 on all machines, but
told me that AVG could be completely disabled from the front
ICON. So, we ran tests with AVG ICON ON and then OFF,
and still nothing worked.

On a hunch, I completely removed AVG 7.5 from my machine
completely. Now all the ICD2's work perfectly.

You folks with AVG might want to MARK this post.

--Bob Axtell

2007\12\31@122134 by Bob Blick

face picon face
Maybe Bob's company is running AVG Enterprise or
something, there are a few versions.

Cheers,

Bob

--- alan smith <.....micro_eng2KILLspamspam.....yahoo.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

2007\12\31@143949 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
I will identify this version in detail after the  holidays.

--Bob A

Bob Blick wrote:
{Quote hidden}

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...