Searching \ for '[PIC] Bluetooth USB Dongle to PIC Interfacing' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'Bluetooth USB Dongle to PIC Interfacing'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC] Bluetooth USB Dongle to PIC Interfacing'
2008\03\15@032259 by web spider

picon face
Hi, has anyone here tried doing this or at least knows how to? I do believe
it will have to be a usb equipped microcontroller. are there any tutorials
on the web that someone knows and could point me to it.

If anyone knows, please explain the basics.

2008\03\15@043903 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 3:22 PM, web spider <spam_OUTwbspdrTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, has anyone here tried doing this or at least knows how to? I do believe
> it will have to be a usb equipped microcontroller. are there any tutorials
> on the web that someone knows and could point me to it.
>

It was not technically possible last time since no USB PICs could
act as a USB host. One could use embedded host from other
companies but then the whole thing become quite tricky.

We had this discussion before.
http://www.nabble.com/PIC-USB-to-Bluetooth-to12377903.html

Now there are new PIC32 OTG USB MCUs. But I am not so
sure how difficult it is to interface them to USB bluetooth module.

Press release:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2018&mcparam=en534270

Datasheet, Application Notes and USB Stack download:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en534177

Xiaofan

2008\03\15@051930 by web spider

picon face
Thanks for the pointers. these ones seem to be on quite an advanced level.
might be too hard for the hobbiest.

Thanks anyway

I will be looking forward to more info.

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Xiaofan Chen <.....xiaofancKILLspamspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2008\03\15@063912 by Brendan Gillatt

flavicon
face
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

web spider wrote:
> Hi, has anyone here tried doing this or at least knows how to? I do believe
> it will have to be a usb equipped microcontroller. are there any tutorials
> on the web that someone knows and could point me to it.
>
> If anyone knows, please explain the basics.

You'd be better off using a serial bluetooth module (which are available
from just about anywhere) than using the vastly more complex USB protocol.


- --
Brendan Gillatt | GPG Key: 0xBF6A0D94
brendan {a} brendangillatt (dot) co (dot) uk
http://www.brendangillatt.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFH26c1uv4tpb9qDZQRApGmAJ9GkJmO2v+gmSOWDJfvXEZsmQsfYwCgtsSI
jlmNTpv5XA0pvVPsnpGwk6Y=
=IeDc
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2008\03\15@112712 by Xiaofan Chen

face picon face
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM, web spider <.....wbspdrKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointers. these ones seem to be on quite an advanced level.
> might be too hard for the hobbiest.
>
The general recommendation is not to use USB dongle but use serial dongle.

Xiaofan

2008\03\18@082834 by KPL

picon face
Hi,

I see no serial bluetooth dongles locally available, but there are few
very cheap usb dongles, which contain more than one chip inside. Most
possibly, usb and bluetooth parts are separated, and it should be
possible to connect my cable somewhere in between, there must be some
kind of serial interface.

I mean something like this:
http://www.gembirdsoftware.com/eGMB/item_view.aspx?id=3714

Has anybody tried something like this, is it possible?
Those modules are so cheap it would not be a huge pain to destroy one:)


On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Xiaofan Chen <EraseMExiaofancspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTgmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 5:19 PM, web spider <wbspdrspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:
>  > Thanks for the pointers. these ones seem to be on quite an advanced level.
>  > might be too hard for the hobbiest.
>  >
>  The general recommendation is not to use USB dongle but use serial dongle.
>



--
KPL

2008\03\18@161320 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 14:27 +0200, KPL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see no serial bluetooth dongles locally available, but there are few
> very cheap usb dongles, which contain more than one chip inside. Most
> possibly, usb and bluetooth parts are separated, and it should be
> possible to connect my cable somewhere in between, there must be some
> kind of serial interface.
>
> I mean something like this:
> www.gembirdsoftware.com/eGMB/item_view.aspx?id=3714
>
> Has anybody tried something like this, is it possible?
> Those modules are so cheap it would not be a huge pain to destroy one:)

I haven't tried, but knowing PC hardware design in general, I'd guess
that ALOT of the actual "bluetooth" stuff is in the software driver.
Chances are the key itself is nothing more then some programmable radio
hardware and a USB interface.

This is very common with PC hardware these days. Most USB WiFi adapters
are nothing more then USB controlled radios, most of the WiFi specific
protocol is done in the software driver.

I could be wrong though.

TTYL

2008\03\19@041338 by Clint Sharp

picon face
In message <1205871175.6164.6.camel@E2140>, Herbert Graf
<@spam@mailinglist4KILLspamspamfarcite.net> writes
>I haven't tried, but knowing PC hardware design in general, I'd guess
>that ALOT of the actual "bluetooth" stuff is in the software driver.
>Chances are the key itself is nothing more then some programmable radio
>hardware and a USB interface.
>
>This is very common with PC hardware these days. Most USB WiFi adapters
>are nothing more then USB controlled radios, most of the WiFi specific
>protocol is done in the software driver.
>
>I could be wrong though.
>
>TTYL
FWIW, I have a couple of Bluetooth USB 'dongles' that are base board
with the USB connector, regulator  and relevant tracks to a soldered on
BT module. The module looks very similar to the ones I see on many
hobbyist websites but I haven't made much if any effort to identify and
track it down. There are probably eight or so unrouted solder
connections on the edges of the module. I haven't played around with
them to see if I can find a serial port but it wouldn't surprise me if
there was one. I paid under 10 UKP for each one. I may buy a replacement
or two and desolder the modules to see if I can identify them.
--
Clint Sharp

2008\03\19@155750 by KPL

picon face
OK, now I see, not goona happen.
At least this dongle is built on some specific chips, and I can not
find any data on them.
The main chip is ISSC IS1032N-102, USB is connected directly to it.
There are few more, like ISSC IS1602N.

Unfortunately real rs232-bluetooth modules are much more expensive.

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Herbert Graf <KILLspammailinglist4KILLspamspamfarcite.net> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
KPL

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...