Searching \ for '[PIC]:El Cheapo (was Newbie's first attempt)' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/begin.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'El Cheapo (was Newbie's first attempt)'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]:El Cheapo (was Newbie's first attempt)'
2002\09\15@114729 by Tal Dayan

flavicon
face
Similar story here (at least the beginning of it, I did not return the
book). Got the book, tons of errors, shelved it somewhere and did not touch
it since.

As for the El Cheapo programmer (should be called El Junko), spent many
hours trying to make it to work reliably but for no avail. It could finish
programming an 16F84 once every 20 tries or so. Junked the board, got a very
inexpensive P16PRO programmer that works just great.

I would return the book if I could but by than they board was already in a
'used' condition, planed trap ? probably not.

BTW, I got this stuff from Amazon in a 'deal' that included another PIC
'book' that end up to be a useless pocket reference manual.

On the bright side, the El Cheapo software includes a nice step by step
online assembly/diagnostic guide.

Tal

> {Original Message removed}

2002\09\15@151025 by Nate Duehr

face
flavicon
face
It sounds like from Myke's posting yesterday that he's actively looking
for ways to make the programmer better and already has a changed circuit
on his website as well as plans to update the book's PCB.

I chose not to be ultra-negative ("El junko"?  Wow... that hurts and I'm
not even Myke!) about the programmer, because the book quality is very
good.  I don't think Myke deserves that level of abuse.  Imagine how
you'd feel if many things outside of your control conspired to have
people calling your work "junk".  That's not really fair.

I'd still happily buy the book just for the book itself, and at the
price, I'd say the book plus PCB (even if the PCB has problems) is a
steal... many online outlets have the book at a very good price.

I hate to discourage authors and others doing the "real" work, so I'll
say again - The book is WORTH it.  I wouldn't *want* to return it.

I felt bad for Myke just reading this...

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 09:46, Tal Dayan wrote:
> As for the El Cheapo programmer (should be called El Junko), spent many
> hours trying to make it to work reliably but for no avail. It could finish
> programming an 16F84 once every 20 tries or so. Junked the board, got a very
> inexpensive P16PRO programmer that works just great.

Nate

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\09\15@154649 by Dominic Stratten

flavicon
face
Yup - I've got to second this - I think the original email was a bit harsh.
I dont know Myke but I see him regularly helping out in this newsgroup and
he seems to bend over backwards to help any individual with a problem. I
have gone back though hundreds of postings and read many of his
contributions and I really dont think he deserves this kind of negative
feedback. I assume Tal is fairly new to this group as he doesnt seem to see
the overall picture of things in here. Different computers have many
different tolerances in their printer ports and what may work on one machine
may not work on another. Myke has tried to provide a free (or inexpensive)
way for the beginner to get going. If this is going to work on even 85% of
the machines, it is going to save a lot of beginners a lot of time with
getting started. For the rest - yes its unfortunate, yes it can be a pain
but I spent quite a few hours making my first Tait (thank you David Tait if
you read this group) programmer and getting it wrong a few times as well
(rather hot 7407 ;-). I'd have almost killed for a free PCB at the start.

Keep up the good work Myke - there are a lot of us out here that appreciate
your work and contributions.


Dom

{Original Message removed}

2002\09\15@234338 by Shawn Mulligan

picon face
I'll add to the support for Myke and his contributions. His book is very
good, the enclosed PCB is a great idea and when someone has a problem
related to his book or programmer he offers help -- without arrogance or
condescension.

And just an aside... when talk first began about the Piclist Beginner's Kit
(PBK, or whatever it has become since) Myke was one of the first listers to
offer his help, even though it would in effect compete with one of his
products.

Shawn

Dom wrote:

>Keep up the good work Myke - there are a lot of us out here that appreciate
>your work and contributions.
>
>
>Dom


_________________________________________________________________
Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\09\15@235005 by Scott Pierce

flavicon
face
I'll throw in my $0.02 now as well.  I couldn't get the El Cheapo PCB to
work when I first tried it out.  I e-mailed Myke for help and he responded
in less than 6 hours with advice.  Over the next couple weeks of me trying
different things, Myke was very patient and helpful, I got El Cheapo
working!  Thanks Myke!  :)

Scott Pierce

At 09:42 PM 9/15/2002 -0600, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics


2002\09\16@001426 by kben

picon face
Well, I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.
I have purchased four of Myke's books and find them all
valuable as tutorials and reference material. I did not build
the El Cheapo, but I have emailed Myke off-list with a general
EE question and he was extremely helpful. Thanks Myke !!

Kevin Benedict


>I'll throw in my $0.02 now as well.  I couldn't get the El Cheapo PCB to
>work when I first tried it out.  I e-mailed Myke for help and he responded

>in less than 6 hours with advice.  Over the next couple weeks of me trying

>different things, Myke was very patient and helpful, I got El Cheapo
>working!  Thanks Myke!  :)
>
>Scott Pierce

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.


2002\09\16@010443 by Tal Dayan

flavicon
face
The opinion I expressed in my earlier posting was about the product I
purchased from Amazon (book + PCB), not about Myke. I accept the list's
opinion that he is a great guy and always ready to help.

The PCB is not 'free' as some people refer to it, it is part of a commercial
product and I evaluated it as such, regardless of who is the author and how
well I know him or like him. As a product, the programmer performed
miserably for me and caused me to waste time and money.

I apologize for suggesting the harsh name El Junko. El Not Always Worko
would be more appropriete.

Tal

> {Original Message removed}

2002\09\16@012147 by Tal Dayan

flavicon
face
> Different computers have many
> different tolerances in their printer ports and what may work on
> one machine may not work on another.

I never had a similar port incompatability problem with a 'real' printer. I
think
the reason for the incompetability is the desire to save a 50 cent chip.

> Myke has tried to provide a free (or inexpensive)
> way for the beginner to get going. If this is going to work on even 85% of
> the machines, it is going to save a lot of beginners a lot of time with
> getting started. For the rest - yes its unfortunate, yes it can be a pain
> but I spent quite a few hours making my first Tait (thank you
> David Tait if
> you read this group) programmer and getting it wrong a few times as well
> (rather hot 7407 ;-).

I did not get it wrong, I followed all the instructions. ;-)

> I'd have almost killed for a free PCB at the start.

Remember, this is NOT a free PCB, you need to spend 50$ or so to get it. An
assembled
P16PRO costs less than 20$.

>
> Keep up the good work Myke - there are a lot of us out here that
> appreciate
> your work and contributions.

I second that.

Tal

>
>
> Dom
>
> {Original Message removed}

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...