Searching \ for '[PIC]: What would be the best cheesie PIC' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'What would be the best cheesie PIC'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: What would be the best cheesie PIC'
2009\07\10@173329 by solarwind

picon face
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Jan-Erik
Soderholm<spam_OUTjan-erik.soderholmTakeThisOuTspamtelia.com> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason to *not* use the
> paramatric search tool at Microchip ?
> Apart from that "molasses" is not a parameter
> in that tool...

Cuz it sucks. I usually just download the xls file and open it with a
spreadsheet app. Then I can filter all I want.

2009\07\10@175004 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
solarwind wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Jan-Erik
> Soderholm<.....jan-erik.soderholmKILLspamspam@spam@telia.com> wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason to *not* use the
>> paramatric search tool at Microchip ?
>> Apart from that "molasses" is not a parameter
>> in that tool...
>
> Cuz it sucks.

I do not agree. It works just fine. And it would work
just fine in the particular case in this thread.

> I usually just download the xls file and open it with a
> spreadsheet app. Then I can filter all I want.

Stil much better then just asking everyone else to select one...

2009\07\10@182028 by AGSCalabrese

picon face
{Quote hidden}

You are free to ignore my request....... I don't mind.  I just felt
better if the experts commented... which I am not.
Gus

2009\07\10@185056 by Bob Axtell

face picon face
I've noticed several of these specs before. The issue comes down to
updating the firmware easily.

A simple way of programming would be to install a bootloader that can
accept updates from
a serial port. Unfortunately, there ARE no serial ports any more. So
we have been updating
through a I2C EEPROM in a tiny box with a connector. Works fine except
we cannot change the configuration word(s).

So for that, the PIC would be a PIC16F87 or F88 or the newer cheaper copies.

--Bob A

On 7/10/09, AGSCalabrese <.....agscalKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2009\07\11@100115 by Bob Ammerman

picon face
You say you're making about 100 of these.

You allocated:
up to $5 / pic
$25 for tools

The PIC you want will be quite a bit cheaper than $5, so you can put some of
the extra $ into your tools, including buying a non-3.3V only programmer.
(Maybe a PICKIT2???).

-- Bob Ammerman

2009\07\11@215903 by solarwind

picon face
On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Olin Lathrop<EraseMEolin_piclistspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTembedinc.com> wrote:
> When you're doing work professionally, el-cheapo tools rarely make sense.

And where do you draw the line between hobby and professional work?

2009\07\12@012331 by Marechiare

picon face
>  If you do plan to do it again, get decent tools so that you:
>
> 1 - Don't look like an idiot.

I'd rewrite it:

"1. - Look like a pro"

And if a project is educational (schools, for instance), cheap tools
could even be preferable in the beginning.

2009\07\12@024316 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
>> When you're doing work professionally, el-cheapo tools rarely make sense.
>
> And where do you draw the line between hobby and professional work?

someone pays you for the work == professional
quitting the work has no financial consequences whatsoever == hobby

There is some gray area (you somehow fund it yourselfs, quitting it has
some indirect financial consequences), but it is small.

but is does not matter much, there is always a cost per hour that you
should determine. It can be as low as $1/h, but it is never 0. from this
figure you can (should!) make your decisions.

--

Wouter van Ooijen

-- -------------------------------------------
Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: http://www.voti.nl
consultancy, development, PICmicro products
docent Hogeschool van Utrecht: http://www.voti.nl/hvu

2009\07\12@083616 by olin piclist

face picon face
solarwind wrote:
>> When you're doing work professionally, el-cheapo tools rarely make
>> sense.
>
> And where do you draw the line between hobby and professional work?

Generally when you get paid to do the work instead of paying to do the work.

Getting paid certainly puts you out of the hobbiest realm.  Getting paid for
the odd project on the side may technically or legally be professional, but
I like to think of professional as meaning you make a living from it or
derive a substantial portion of your living from it.


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000.

2009\07\12@123111 by Justin Richards

face picon face
I used kit81 for several projects for paying customers.  No ICSP or debug
(neither does my new picstart 2 with 18f97j60 it seems), uses a parallel
port and cheap.

Refers to itself as a 16f84 programmer but programs 16f628 ok with PICALL
software.

Cheers Justin

2009\07\12@124904 by solarwind

picon face
On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Wouter van Ooijen<wouterspamspam_OUTvoti.nl> wrote:
> someone pays you for the work == professional
> quitting the work has no financial consequences whatsoever == hobby
>
> There is some gray area (you somehow fund it yourselfs, quitting it has
> some indirect financial consequences), but it is small.
>
> but is does not matter much, there is always a cost per hour that you
> should determine. It can be as low as $1/h, but it is never 0. from this
> figure you can (should!) make your decisions.

In my opinion, that this is still not the deciding factor for what
type of tool to get.

2009\07\12@135310 by Justin Richards

face picon face
2009/7/13 Justin Richards <@spam@justin.richardsKILLspamspamgmail.com>

> I used kit81 for several projects for paying customers.  No ICSP or debug
> (neither does my new picstart 2 with 18f97j60 it seems), uses a parallel
> port and



Oops, that is PICKit 2 not picstart 2

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2009 , 2010 only
- Today
- New search...