Searching \ for '[PIC]: PIC Processor with several internal oscill' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'PIC Processor with several internal oscill'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: PIC Processor with several internal oscill'
2007\02\27@204740 by lee

flavicon
face
>It seems to me I have seen a PIC that has several internal RC Osc
>frequencies available just by giving the correct configuration bits.
>I seem to remember there being maybe 5 or 6 frequencies that started at
>30Khz and went to maybe 8 or 10 Mhz.
>But now for the life of me I can't seem to find it.   Does anyone here
>have any ideas as to a part like this?   Or am I halucinating?

Hi Jim
Don't know if this is what you are after, but I know that the PIC18F 2525
/ 2620 / 4525 / 4620 range (and I'm sure others) have both an internal osc
and an internal RC osc, which operate independently and can have their
frequencies changed and updated via code.  The range is from 31kHz to
8MHz, up to 32MHz if PLL is used.
The internal osc sounds like it is a lot more stable than the internal RC
osc.  Don't know if you could completely remove any need for an external
crystal in all circumstances, but it's definitely not RC based, and would
definitely be better than ANY RC osc, internal or external.

That's about all I can tell you, hope it helps
Lee

2007\02\27@211429 by michael brown

picon face
lee@baudalign.com wrote:
>> It seems to me I have seen a PIC that has several internal RC Osc
>> frequencies available just by giving the correct configuration bits.
>> I seem to remember there being maybe 5 or 6 frequencies that started
>> at 30Khz and went to maybe 8 or 10 Mhz.
>> But now for the life of me I can't seem to find it.   Does anyone
>> here have any ideas as to a part like this?   Or am I halucinating?

It's called INTOSC (usually, but not allways) and it runs from 31kHz to
8MHz.  It's accurate to 1% over a narrow voltage and temperature range and
better than 2% over a large operating range.  Allot of the so-called
nano-watt variety PICs have it.  For example, the 16F88 and 12F683.  I'm
sure there are many others, but these are the ones that I use.

2007\02\27@213545 by peter green

flavicon
face

> It's called INTOSC (usually, but not allways) and it runs from 31kHz to
> 8MHz.  It's accurate to 1% over a narrow voltage and temperature
> range and
> better than 2% over a large operating range.
2% would be good enough for RS-232 but nowhere near good enough for any application that needed to track time of day nor for fast communications protocols like USB.

btw looking at the 4620 data sheet it seems you can use the pll with the internal oscilator but only by turning on the PLL in software, i'd imagine this applies to other similar PICs as well.


2007\02\28@043901 by Jan-Erik Söderholm

face picon face
A *few* of the *newest* 18F's can combine the 4xPLL with
the INTOSC (in 4 or 8 Mhz mode) for an effective speed
of 16 or 32 Mhz. The older/first "nanoWatt" modells that
used the 8 Mhz INTOSC can not do this.

Unfortunaly this feature is not "filterable" using the
parametric search tool, you have to check each data sheet...

Jan-Erik.


peter green skrev:
>> It's called INTOSC (usually, but not allways) and it runs from 31kHz to
>> 8MHz.  It's accurate to 1% over a narrow voltage and temperature
>> range and
>> better than 2% over a large operating range.
> 2% would be good enough for RS-232 but nowhere near good enough for any application that needed to track time of day nor for fast communications protocols like USB.
>
> btw looking at the 4620 data sheet it seems you can use the pll with the internal oscilator but only by turning on the PLL in software, i'd imagine this applies to other similar PICs as well.
>
>

2007\02\28@044058 by Jan-Erik Söderholm

face picon face
lee@baudalign.com wrote :

> Don't know if this is what you are after, but I know that the PIC18F 2525
> / 2620 / 4525 / 4620 range (and I'm sure others) have both an internal osc
> and an internal RC osc, which operate independently and can have their
> frequencies changed and updated via code.  The range is from 31kHz to
> 8MHz, up to 32MHz if PLL is used.

The INTRC (used by the WDT and other) is *not* adjustable. It's a fixed
32 Khz osc. The INTOSC has software selectable speeds.

Jan-Erik.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...