Searching \ for '[PIC]: GCC - C Compiler UNIX in DOS' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/languages.htm?key=c
Search entire site for: 'GCC - C Compiler UNIX in DOS'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: GCC - C Compiler UNIX in DOS'
2002\09\02@205025 by Dan Marchesani

picon face
Hello All,

I am interested in getting this GCC, ANSI C Compiler from WWW.GNU.ORG.
It is in a UNIX Format, that I understand will work in the DOS Enviro.
My problem is getting the GZIP to decompress the .TAR.GZ files for MSDOS.

Can any one give me some idea on how to do this.

The Docs gave this comment (below), which I used etc., but it created a file
without any [.ext] and terminated with an error "BAD COMMAND OR FILENAME"
Which I think was an attempt to start a program...

===================================================
To extract sources that are in files ending in `.tar.gz' you can use the
command

     gzip -d < foo.tar.gz | tar xf -

where `foo.tar.gz' is the name of the file.
===================================================


Dan Marchesani

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email spam_OUTlistservTakeThisOuTspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\09\02@214935 by Dale Botkin

flavicon
face
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Dan Marchesani wrote:

> I am interested in getting this GCC, ANSI C Compiler from WWW.GNU.ORG.
>  It is in a UNIX Format, that I understand will work in the DOS Enviro.
>  My problem is getting the GZIP to decompress the .TAR.GZ files for MSDOS.

I don't think it will do you much good anyway just running DOS or Windows.
You will need Cygwin, which gives you the equivalent of a UNIX
environment under Windows.  I believe Cygwin installs GCC.

Also, bear in mind that GCC is a C compiler, not a cross-compiler, which
means you can compile code for your PC but not for PICs.

>       gzip -d < foo.tar.gz | tar xf -

gzip and tar are UNIX commands, you don't have them (or don't until you
have Cygwin installed, or just dump Windows and install Linux or BSD).

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam@spam@mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\09\02@215631 by Dan Marchesani

picon face
Hello All

Never mind about my request.  I got the info I need.
Found out I needed to get a BINARY FILE for the program in question.
Those .TAZ.GZ will not decompress for DOS.

Thanks any way.

Dan Marchesani

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email listservspamKILLspammitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\09\02@215634 by Pic Dude

flavicon
face
Winzip will read/open tar files, but not sure if it will do .gz's.
You can download a tool that will let you de-compress and de-archive
.gz files.  Do a google search for "windows gzip" or "gunzip".  The
help it comes with will tell you how to use it.  The help you listed
below is for a Unix operating system.

Cheers,
-Neil.


Dan Marchesani wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email .....listservKILLspamspam.....mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body


2002\09\02@222925 by Dan Marchesani

picon face
Hi Dale
Yes that is what I found out.  Using stuff for UNIX and porting to Windows or DOS requires a go between such as Cygwin.  

Thamks
Dan Marchesani


Dale Botkin wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Dan Marchesani wrote:

I am interested in getting this GCC, ANSI C Compiler from WWW.GNU.ORG.
It is in a UNIX Format, that I understand will work in the DOS Enviro.
My problem is getting the GZIP to decompress the .TAR.GZ files for MSDOS.

I don't think it will do you much good anyway just running DOS or Windows.
You will need Cygwin, which gives you the equivalent of a UNIX
environment under Windows. I believe Cygwin installs GCC.

Also, bear in mind that GCC is a C compiler, not a cross-compiler, which
means you can compile code for your PC but not for PICs.

      gzip -d < foo.tar.gz | tar xf -

gzip and tar are UNIX commands, you don't have them (or don't until you
have Cygwin installed, or just dump Windows and install Linux or BSD).

Dale

--
http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us!
email listserv@mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body




-- http://www.piclist.com#nomail Going offline? Don't AutoReply us! email listserv@mitvma.mit.edu with SET PICList DIGEST in the body

2002\09\03@014830 by Wouter van Ooijen

face picon face
If you want GCC for DOS check http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/
Wouter

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: To leave the PICList
KILLspampiclist-unsubscribe-requestKILLspamspammitvma.mit.edu


2002\09\03@191318 by Richard Crossley

flavicon
face
Have a look at http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html for a complete
distribution of the MinGW port of GCC compiler along with IDE.
It's a lot easier to get started with and doesn't require Cygwin.

Richard.

> {Original Message removed}

2002\09\03@195335 by Bruce Kroeze

flavicon
face
If the pipe doesn't work, just run the commands separately:

gzip -d foo.tar.gz  // This will explode the gzipped file into foo.tar
tar xf foo.tar      // this'll unpack it.

Or, use WinZip, which understands Unix style tarballs.

Bruce

> > {Original Message removed}

2002\09\04@124338 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Dan Marchesani wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I am interested in getting this GCC, ANSI C Compiler from WWW.GNU.ORG.
> It is in a UNIX Format, that I understand will work in the DOS Enviro.
> My problem is getting the GZIP to decompress the .TAR.GZ files for MSDOS.

You got the wrong package. Get the right package from cygnus. Look for
CYGWIN. The packages for dos/windows will run under dos/windows unlike
what you got.

>Can any one give me some idea on how to do this.

Winzip will open tar.gz but that will not help you. BTW beware all: if you
pack a windows symbolic link of certain kinds in a tar.gz then winzip will
refuse to open the archive failing on that link. I guess I don't have to
tell you how I found out ...

Peter

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads


More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2002 , 2003 only
- Today
- New search...