Searching \ for '[PIC]: 16 bit Audio DAC' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/ios.htm?key=audio
Search entire site for: '16 bit Audio DAC'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: 16 bit Audio DAC'
2003\03\18@180837 by Brent Brown

picon face
Hi,

I'm designing a PIC16F877 circuit that has audio output. I've been
down the track of PWM output and 1 bit encoding etc, but have decided
for this job to go for an external 16 bit serial input audio DAC.

Presently I'm looking at the Philips TDA1545A chip in SO8 package.
Should work nicely with data output from the '877s MSSP, but the part
is proving hard to source in small quantities. Can anyone suggest
something similar that might be more readily available? The TDA1545A
is stereo but I'll only be using one channel.

Thanks, Brent.
--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
Ph/fax: +64 7 849 0069
Mobile/txt: 025 334 069
eMail:  spam_OUTbrent.brownTakeThisOuTspamclear.net.nz

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: PICList Posts must start with ONE topic:
[PIC]:,[SX]:,[AVR]: ->uP ONLY! [EE]:,[OT]: ->Other [BUY]:,[AD]: ->Ads

2003\03\19@034950 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>Presently I'm looking at the Philips TDA1545A chip in SO8 package.
>Should work nicely with data output from the '877s MSSP, but the part
>is proving hard to source in small quantities. Can anyone suggest
>something similar that might be more readily available? The TDA1545A
>is stereo but I'll only be using one channel.

Analog Devices make several, one of which Brook Shera used in his GPS
disciplined reference oscillator. I obtained a couple as samples from AD for
nothing. Part number is PCM61P on the original circuit, and the AD
equivalent is AD1861N. It is actually an 18 bit device now I look at the
documentation, but check out their website.

Maxim also do such devices, and provide samples. However I suspect you may
find that most will be more than 16 bits as the prime market is CD players
and DVDs.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\19@063104 by Brent Brown

picon face
> >Presently I'm looking at the Philips TDA1545A chip in SO8 package.
> >Should work nicely with data output from the '877s MSSP, but the part
> >is proving hard to source in small quantities. Can anyone suggest
> >something similar that might be more readily available? The TDA1545A
> >is stereo but I'll only be using one channel.
>
> Analog Devices make several, one of which Brook Shera used in his GPS
> disciplined reference oscillator. I obtained a couple as samples from
> AD for nothing. Part number is PCM61P on the original circuit, and the
> AD equivalent is AD1861N. It is actually an 18 bit device now I look
> at the documentation, but check out their website.
>
> Maxim also do such devices, and provide samples. However I suspect you
> may find that most will be more than 16 bits as the prime market is CD
> players and DVDs.

Thanks Alan,

I forgot about Maxim and Analog Devices but have looked now and still
didn't find the right one. Need 3V, 16 bits or more, 8 pin SOIC,
cheap, lowish power, simple interface, available. DAC's for audio
don't need the DC accuracies required by other applications too.

Maxim have some nice new ones in a teeny tiny package but I'll try to
avoid that.

Thought there would be oceans of similar things around but apparently
not. I've found a source now for the TDA1545A in 8 pin DIP, which
might be OK. Princeton Technology make a compatible one (PT8215),
which leads me to think it might be kind of an industry standard.

--
Brent Brown, Electronic Design Solutions
16 English Street, Hamilton, New Zealand
Ph/fax: +64 7 849 0069
Mobile/txt: 025 334 069
eMail:  .....brent.brownKILLspamspam@spam@clear.net.nz

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\19@064558 by Mike Harrison

flavicon
face
Burr-Brown (TI) also do several audio DACs.


On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:28:52 +1200, you wrote:

{Quote hidden}

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\19@075240 by Alan B. Pearce

face picon face
>I forgot about Maxim and Analog Devices but have looked now and still
>didn't find the right one. Need 3V, 16 bits or more, 8 pin SOIC,
>cheap, lowish power, simple interface, available. DAC's for audio
>don't need the DC accuracies required by other applications too.

The other trick to watch for is that many of the newer serial DACs designed
for audio/CD/DVD use seem to also have the ability to do decompression on
the bit stream. One of my colleagues has been going through this loop in
looking for 24 bit DACs to use with the big new accelerator ring being built
here "real soon now" (well at least they had the ceremony to turn the first
sod the other day).

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2003 , 2004 only
- Today
- New search...