Searching \ for '[PIC]: A little therapy....' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'A little therapy....'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC]: A little therapy....'
2003\03\14@175211 by John Nall

flavicon
face
May I please have permission to get something off my mind, by way of
therapy?

Thanks.  Here it is:

I HATE! to read code that makes provision for every model of PIC ever
created since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary!  It makes
the mind weary and the body tired.

Thanks.  That is a vast relief. :-)  Back to studying.....

John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\14@183847 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
> I HATE! to read code that makes provision for every model of PIC ever
> created since the memory of man runneth not to the contrary!  It makes
> the mind weary and the body tired.

You may come to appreciate this once you've done a few projects and
realize you want to reuse code between them.  What/where have you seen
specifically that you are objecting to?

I do lot's of projects on lots of different PICs, and try to minimize
customization required for "standard" modules.  Just today I ran into an
incompatibility between a 18F1320 and a 18F252.  The code was running fine
on the 1320, but was not getting any A/D readings on the 252.  This was
because only CCP2 starts an A/D conversion on a special event trigger on
the 252, but this is done with CCP1 on the 1320 because it only has one
CCP module.  I left the old code in there and added IFDEF CCP2CON to
automatically assemble the appropriate initialization code in case it ever
gets moved back to a 1320.  I had to do a similar IFDEF ADCON2 to
distinguish between the traditional and advanced A/D.  The two have quite
different control bits.

You never know when in the future you might want to cut and paste code
from an old project.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\14@185801 by John Nall

flavicon
face
At 06:38 PM 3/14/2003 -0500, Olin wrote:

> >You may come to appreciate this once you've done a few projects and
>realize you want to reuse code between them.  What/where have you seen
>specifically that you are objecting to?

Most likely I will appreciate it, once I've done a few projects.  And I am
not about to say whose code I am objecting to.  If someone is gracious
enough to make their code available to look at, and learn from, I would
undergo torture before revealing names!   (Well...some torture,
anyway...some mild torture...maybe having to listen to old Beatles songs.)

John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\14@193603 by John Nall

flavicon
face
At 06:38 PM 3/14/2003 -0500, Olin wrote:

> >I left the old code in there and added IFDEF CCP2CON to
>automatically assemble the appropriate initialization code in case it ever
>gets moved back to a 1320.  I had to do a similar IFDEF ADCON2 to
>distinguish between the traditional and advanced A/D.


All RIGHT!!  Yeah, that solves my problem!  I can write a little
pre-processor for the source code to filter out the useless stuff......Good
on ya' Olin!  (Perl, here I come).

John

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics

2003\03\14@194646 by Sean Alcorn - PIC Stuff

flavicon
face
--Apple-Mail-6-662412234
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain;
       charset=US-ASCII;
       format=flowed


On Saturday, Mar 15, 2003, at 11:36 Australia/Sydney, John Nall wrote:

> All RIGHT!!  Yeah, that solves my problem!  I can write a little
> pre-processor for the source code to filter out the useless
> stuff......Good
> on ya' Olin!  (Perl, here I come).

He was merely giving an example

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The list server can filter out subtopics
(like ads or off topics) for you. See http://www.piclist.com/#topics



--Apple-Mail-6-662412234
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/enriched;
       charset=US-ASCII



On Saturday, Mar 15, 2003, at 11:36 Australia/Sydney, John Nall wrote:


<excerpt><fixed>All RIGHT!!  Yeah, that solves my problem!  I can
write a little

pre-processor for the source code to filter out the useless
stuff......Good

on ya' Olin!  (Perl, here I come).

</fixed></excerpt>

He was merely giving an example


--Apple-Mail-6-662412234--

2003\03\15@090835 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
> Most likely I will appreciate it, once I've done a few projects.  And I am
> not about to say whose code I am objecting to.  If someone is gracious
> enough to make their code available to look at, and learn from, I would
> undergo torture before revealing names!   (Well...some torture,
> anyway...some mild torture...maybe having to listen to old Beatles songs.)

I was wondering if it was any of the code on my web site.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

2003\03\15@094633 by John Nall

flavicon
face
At 09:07 AM 3/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:

> >I was wondering if it was any of the code on my web site.

No.  I've glanced at some of that, and it seems straightforward
enough.  I'm talking about really convoluted code, which uses a lot of
"else" statements to check the existence or non-existence of hex
numbers.  IFDEF statements (or the generic equivalent) are easier to deal with.

--
http://www.piclist.com hint: The PICList is archived three different
ways.  See http://www.piclist.com/#archives for details.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2003 , 2004 only
- Today
- New search...