Searching \ for '[PIC:] PIClist and HTML formatted mails.' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/devices.htm?key=pic
Search entire site for: 'PIClist and HTML formatted mails.'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[PIC:] PIClist and HTML formatted mails.'
2004\08\31@090946 by Jan-Erik Soderholm

face picon face
Hi !
Does the "new" PIClist relay HTML formatted posts ?
I've got a few "funny-formatted" posts today that, when analyzed
seems to be in HTML format (at least partly).
How did the "old" PIClist handle those posts ?

Regards,
Jan-Erik.
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@101007 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
> Does the "new" PIClist relay HTML formatted posts ?

Yes.

> I've got a few "funny-formatted" posts today that, when analyzed
> seems to be in HTML format (at least partly).

I've seen at least one full HTML message today.
Quick check finds several more.

> How did the "old" PIClist handle those posts ?

Old was also able to forward HTML.
Preferred format is of course plain text.
May be time for eg James to issue a reminder?


   
       RM



_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@102651 by Patrick J

flavicon
face
or lock it down to plain text, we dont want html crp :-)

> Preferred format is of course plain text.
> May be time for eg James to issue a reminder?


_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@103918 by Dan Smith

face picon face
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:09:42 +0200 (CEST), Jan-Erik Soderholm
<spam_OUTjan-erik.soderholmTakeThisOuTspamtelia.com> wrote:
> Does the "new" PIClist relay HTML formatted posts ?

I've just had a play with some of the Mailman settings.  Hopefully,
any html messages sent to the list will be converted to plain text
before being distributed.

Dan
List Admin #6
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@112237 by olin_piclist

face picon face
Russell McMahon wrote:
> Old was also able to forward HTML.
> Preferred format is of course plain text.
> May be time for eg James to issue a reminder?

Better yet, can the new server reject HTML messages outright?

*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@112506 by olin_piclist

face picon face
Dan Smith wrote:
> I've just had a play with some of the Mailman settings.  Hopefully,
> any html messages sent to the list will be converted to plain text
> before being distributed.

That will probably make them look like a mess.  Is it possible to just
reject HTML postings?  That will force people to fix the problem at the
source instead of the list server attempting to cover it up.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@122714 by Support - KF4HAZ

flavicon
face
It is probably due to the recent change of e-address for the list.
Most of us add the address to our address book and set that address for
"send plain text only".

KF4HAZ - Lonnie

----- From: "Olin Lathrop" <olin_piclist@

{Quote hidden}

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@125013 by Dwayne Reid

flavicon
face
At 09:25 AM 8/31/2004, Olin Lathrop wrote:
>Dan Smith wrote:
>
>That will probably make them look like a mess.  Is it possible to just
>reject HTML postings?  That will force people to fix the problem at the
>source instead of the list server attempting to cover it up.

Not if its done properly.  If I recall correctly, many people (mostly
newbies) posted HTML messages to the old listserver which did a great job
of stripping out all the HTML stuff.  I'm hoping that Mailman is as good -
I suspect it is.

dwayne

--
Dwayne Reid   <.....dwaynerKILLspamspam@spam@planet.eon.net>
Trinity Electronics Systems Ltd    Edmonton, AB, CANADA
(780) 489-3199 voice          (780) 487-6397 fax

Celebrating 20 years of Engineering Innovation (1984 - 2004)
 .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-.   .-
    `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'   `-'
Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to this email address.
This message neither grants consent to receive unsolicited
commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial email.

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@133739 by Dan Smith

face picon face
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:22:27 -0400, Olin Lathrop
<olin_piclistspamKILLspamembedinc.com> wrote:
> Better yet, can the new server reject HTML messages outright?

I've configured the Mailman server to reject text\html mime types.
Hopefully, this should sort out the problem once and for all.  If
anyone has any problems with this, please let me know.

Dan
List Admin #6
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@143915 by M. Adam Davis

flavicon
face
Many email programs send HTML messages as two part MIME email, one in
regular text and one in html.  Often the list server doesn't actually do
any conversion, it simply strips any disallowed mime types, such as
HTML, leaving the text only mime type.

Another list I'm on says "[Non-text portions of this message have been
removed]" when it runs into one of these mime types.

Of course, if anyone is using an email program that only sends HTML and
doesn't include a regular text version their messages will be blank.

If the piclist wants to support beginners stripping HTML would be the
best balance between the two extremes.

-Adam

Olin Lathrop wrote:

{Quote hidden}

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@161436 by olin_piclist

face picon face
M. Adam Davis wrote:
> Many email programs send HTML messages as two part MIME email, one in
> regular text and one in html.

Only if you configure it that way.  I doubt that many mail clients require
sending an HTML version.  Certainly there are many readily available that
don't.  MS Outlook Express is one of the worst in terms of irresponsible
default settings, and even it can be configured for plain text.  That's what
I'm using to send this message right now.

There is no excuse for HTML on this list in any form, and we might as well
make that clear and enforce it up front.

> If the piclist wants to support beginners stripping HTML would be the
> best balance between the two extremes.

Maybe, if you meant beginners to computers.  However, anyone who is either
too lazy or too stupid to configure their email client for plain text isn't
ready for microcontrollers and is just going to be a waste of time and
bandwidth on the PIClist.  Think of it as a very basic intelligence test.


*****************************************************************
Embed Inc, embedded system specialists in Littleton Massachusetts
(978) 742-9014, http://www.embedinc.com
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@165927 by Dan Smith

face picon face
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:38:54 -0400, M. Adam Davis <.....adampicKILLspamspam.....ubasics.com> wrote:
> If the piclist wants to support beginners stripping HTML would be the
> best balance between the two extremes.

If you see my post '[OT] Admin - Testing list HTML rejection', this is
how the list now behaves.  I posted a test email from Outlook Express
containing both plain text and html parts.  The html was stripped
automagically and just the plain text made it to the list.

Dan
List Admin #6
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\08\31@221538 by Russell McMahon

face
flavicon
face
> > If the piclist wants to support beginners stripping HTML would be the
> > best balance between the two extremes.

> If you see my post '[OT] Admin - Testing list HTML rejection', this is
> how the list now behaves.  I posted a test email from Outlook Express
> containing both plain text and html parts.  The html was stripped
> automagically and just the plain text made it to the list.

This may be true - but it wasn't universally true yesterday*
Have you changed a setting since then?



       RM

_______________________________

* eg To give just 2 examples:

At 1:09am on 1/9/2004 Ake Hedman's post contained this -

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content=text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1458" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>

etc

and slightly before that Phil Eisermann's had the same.

_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist


'[PIC:] PIClist and HTML formatted mails.'
2004\09\01@035620 by Dan Smith
face picon face
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:14:47 +1200, Russell McMahon
<EraseMEapptechspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTparadise.net.nz> wrote:
> > If you see my post '[OT] Admin - Testing list HTML rejection', this is
> > how the list now behaves.  I posted a test email from Outlook Express
> > containing both plain text and html parts.  The html was stripped
> > automagically and just the plain text made it to the list.
>
> This may be true - but it wasn't universally true yesterday*
> Have you changed a setting since then?

Yes, I tweaked the content filtering in Mailman.  We're gradually
getting the list settings sorted out :-)

Dan
List Admin #6
_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

2004\09\11@213805 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Olin,

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:22:27 -0400, Olin Lathrop wrote:

> Russell McMahon wrote:
> > Old was also able to forward HTML.
> > Preferred format is of course plain text.
> > May be time for eg James to issue a reminder?
>
> Better yet, can the new server reject HTML messages outright?

I'll see your "reject the message" and raise you "ban the sender"!  :-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


_______________________________________________
http://www.piclist.com
View/change your membership options at
http://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/piclist

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2004 , 2005 only
- Today
- New search...