Exact match. Not showing close matches.
'[OT} Engineering recreations was stupid (learning'
A project box with large switch, neon indicator lamp and electrical cord that made the rounds at one of the summer jobs I had with a neat typewritten label that said
Handy Dandy Fuse Popper
1) Plug it in
2) Light goes on
3) Press button
4) Lights go out
The push button switch (50 amp or more rating) and a neon bulb indicator light connected in parallel across the mains.
Sergey Dryga wrote:
> Another trick I used to play on my brother (he is older than me, so I am not
> that cruel). He used to read long into the night and absolutely refused to
> turn of his bedside lamp. When he would go out of room, I would put a peace of
> moist paper into his lamp, between the bulb and central contact. The soft
> paper for artwork works best. When he returned, he will switch the lamp back
> on, paper will dry out in couple of minutes and the lamp will switch off!
> Apparently without my interfearence! It used to drive him crazy until he
> figured it out.
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:45:57 -0500, Walter Banks wrote:
> A project box with large switch, neon indicator lamp and electrical cord that made the rounds at one of
the summer jobs I had with a neat typewritten label that said
> Handy Dandy Fuse Popper
> 1) Plug it in
> 2) Light goes on
> 3) Press button
> 4) Lights go out
> The push button switch (50 amp or more rating) and a neon bulb indicator light connected in parallel across
It wouldn't work in Britain - our lighting circuits are always separate from the sockets, and plugtops have
their own fuse! :-)
When I was young (15) and very foolish my mother's car battery was flat (low on charge, not as in pancake :-)
and I was given the job of removing it from the car and bringing it and charging it - there was no way to do
it while still in the car.
Having done so, the battery was sitting in the hall awaiting refitting to the car, and I thought I'd test it
to make sure it was charged... by quickly swiping a piece of thin wire (one core of telephone cable I think)
across the terminals... the resultant release of energy welded the last inch of wire to each terminal, and
vapourised the rest, insulation and all! I was dazzled by the flash for some time. Quite why it didn't burn
my fingers I will never know, but I now know I was very lucky not to detonate the gasses that could have been
around from the charging (Hydrogen and Oxygen in just the right ratio for an explosion).
When I look back at some of the stupid things I've done, I'm amazed that I've avoided a Darwin Award...
More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2006
, 2007 only
- New search...