Searching \ for '[OT]Futurelec????' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=futurelec
Search entire site for: 'Futurelec????'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]Futurelec????'
2009\10\28@055715 by cdb

flavicon
face
Have they gone out of business?

I just get a website parking page, when trying to access them.

Colin

--
cdb,  on 10/28/2009



2009\10\28@060257 by Marcel Birthelmer

picon face
it's futurlec, not futurelec ... works fine for me! http://www.futurlec.com/

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM, cdb <spam_OUTcolinTakeThisOuTspambtech-online.co.uk> wrote:
>  Have they gone out of business?
>
> I just get a website parking page, when trying to access them.
>
> Colin
>
> --
> cdb,  on 10/28/2009
>
>
>
>

2009\10\28@060424 by Richard Pytelewski

flavicon
face
Did you mean       http://www.futurlec.com/     ?  They are there!

Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: .....piclist-bouncesKILLspamspam@spam@mit.edu [piclist-bouncesspamKILLspammit.edu] On Behalf Of
cdb
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:57 AM
To: .....PICLISTKILLspamspam.....mit.edu
Subject: [OT]Futurelec????

Have they gone out of business?

I just get a website parking page, when trying to access them.

Colin

--
cdb,  on 10/28/2009



2009\10\28@061157 by cdb

flavicon
face
OK, thanks, suffering major brain fade today! :(
--
cdb, EraseMEcolinspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTbtech-online.co.uk on 10/28/2009

Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk  

Hosted by:  http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=7988359







2009\10\28@063504 by Forrest Christian
flavicon
face
Be careful as I (and others) have received counterfeit parts from them.  
In my case it was nearly 200 L6202's which they to this day have not
taken care of.  I wish they would have done the correct thing and taken
them back and/or given me a refund/credit.   But instead they pretended
that there wasn't really a problem.     It's too bad too, since I do
like their prices but just can't bring myself to purchase from someone
who sells counterfeit parts as original.

(And no, I don't know if they thought they were counterfeit or not -
quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me since they basically quit
responding to my emails trying to get a resolution to the issue).

-forrest

cdb wrote:
{Quote hidden}

2009\10\28@080056 by John Chung

picon face
Hi Forrest,

Who do you buy parts from nowadays?

John

--- On Wed, 10/28/09, Forrest Christian <@spam@forrestcKILLspamspamimach.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2009\10\28@151118 by Forrest Christian

flavicon
face
Mouser mostly, but some digikey and an occasional Jameco.

In the surplus world goldmine-elec.com and allelectronics.com

-forrest

John Chung wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>> --

2009\10\30@020456 by solarwind

picon face
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Forrest Christian <RemoveMEforrestcEraseMEspamEraseMEimach.com> wrote:
> Be careful as I (and others) have received counterfeit parts from them.
> In my case it was nearly 200 L6202's which they to this day have not
> taken care of.  I wish they would have done the correct thing and taken
> them back and/or given me a refund/credit.   But instead they pretended
> that there wasn't really a problem.     It's too bad too, since I do
> like their prices but just can't bring myself to purchase from someone
> who sells counterfeit parts as original.
>
> (And no, I don't know if they thought they were counterfeit or not -
> quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me since they basically quit
> responding to my emails trying to get a resolution to the issue).

Hey, what exactly are "counterfeit" parts and how do you know which
ones are counterfeit and which ones are not?

2009\10\30@121450 by Herbert Graf

picon face
On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 02:04 -0400, solarwind wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Forrest Christian <RemoveMEforrestcspam_OUTspamKILLspamimach.com> wrote:
> > Be careful as I (and others) have received counterfeit parts from them.
> > In my case it was nearly 200 L6202's which they to this day have not
> > taken care of.  I wish they would have done the correct thing and taken
> > them back and/or given me a refund/credit.   But instead they pretended
> > that there wasn't really a problem.     It's too bad too, since I do
> > like their prices but just can't bring myself to purchase from someone
> > who sells counterfeit parts as original.
> >
> > (And no, I don't know if they thought they were counterfeit or not -
> > quite frankly, it doesn't matter to me since they basically quit
> > responding to my emails trying to get a resolution to the issue).
>
> Hey, what exactly are "counterfeit" parts and how do you know which
> ones are counterfeit and which ones are not?

Depends. The simplest cases are binned parts being sold as "new", or
stolen parts sold as new.

I've heard of some people actually taking parts off of old boards,
reballing them (in the case of BGA) and selling them as new (obviously
this only makes sense for expensive parts).

I've even heard of some cases where parts are relabeled with a more
expensive part number, change a few numbers on say an MCU (many MCUs
have multiple parts in the same package, so if you take an MCU with 2k
RAM and label it as if it were a part with 64k RAM you can sell it for
more).

For cheaper parts there are some manufacturers that make parts and then
label them with a "brand" name, exactly the same stuff as what happens
with designer purses.

In general it's safest to buy parts from authorized distributors, but
even they can be caught with bad parts.

As for how YOU can tell, it's exactly the same as designer purses:
sometimes it's obvious (name is mispelled), sometimes "experts" can't
tell it's a fake.

TTYL

2009\10\30@131210 by Randy Glenn

flavicon
face
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:19, Herbert Graf <RemoveMEhkgrafTakeThisOuTspamspamgmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 02:04 -0400, solarwind wrote:
>> Hey, what exactly are "counterfeit" parts and how do you know which
>> ones are counterfeit and which ones are not?
>
> Depends. The simplest cases are binned parts being sold as "new", or
> stolen parts sold as new.
>
> I've heard of some people actually taking parts off of old boards,
> reballing them (in the case of BGA) and selling them as new (obviously
> this only makes sense for expensive parts).
>
> I've even heard of some cases where parts are relabeled with a more
> expensive part number, change a few numbers on say an MCU (many MCUs
> have multiple parts in the same package, so if you take an MCU with 2k
> RAM and label it as if it were a part with 64k RAM you can sell it for
> more).
>

I've heard of even worse: I was told of an op-amp (I think?) that had
been relabelled with the part number of a multi-GHz cable equalizer at
a company I used to work for. Somehow it wasn't quite up to snuff.

Another favourite of the shadier vendors is to change the temperature
/ reliability code, remarking consumer-grade parts to look like
extended-temp parts, or even military-grade parts.

-Randy

2009\10\30@151522 by Forrest W Christian

flavicon
face
solarwind wrote:
> Hey, what exactly are "counterfeit" parts and how do you know which
> ones are counterfeit and which ones are not?
>  
"Counterfeit" basically refers to parts which the manufacturer didn't
build/test/sell through their normal channels.  Sometimes they are ones
tested as defective and not properly scrapped (aka somebody took them
from the garbage can).   Sometimes they're a relabeled part (take a
low-quality, low cost part and relabel it as an expensive one).   And
sometimes they are actually a knock-off manufactured in some fab
somewhere where the parts are manufactured under less than quality
conditions.

In this case, I had to send parts to the manufacturer - although the
very high failure rate was a good indicator.   RAM chips are notorious
along with transistors, etc.

On the futurlec counterfeiting issue, google futurlec counterfeit , and
read the threads ..  pretty common stories, lots of ok responses and
seemingly always 1-2 people saying that they got counterfeit goods.


-forrest


2009\10\30@205033 by Sean Breheny

face picon face
Here is one example of counterfeit parts which is pretty funny (unless
you designed them in to something):

http://blog.makezine.com/MAKE_PT0153.jpg

Sean


On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:04 AM, solarwind <EraseMEx.solarwind.xspamspamspamBeGonegmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, what exactly are "counterfeit" parts and how do you know which
> ones are counterfeit and which ones are not?
>
> -

2009\10\30@222713 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
Sean Breheny wrote:
> Here is one example of counterfeit parts which is pretty funny (unless
> you designed them in to something):
>
> http://blog.makezine.com/MAKE_PT0153.jpg

ROFL!!!!

:-D

A colleague suggested that they should open the blue one too, to see if
there's an even smaller capacitor inside.

Vitaliy

2009\10\31@034554 by Jinx

face picon face
> A colleague suggested that they should open the blue one too, to see if
> there's an even smaller capacitor inside.

Hehe, I didn't know the xxxxxxese were into matryoshka dolls

2009\10\31@081800 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Vitaliy <RemoveMEpiclistKILLspamspammaksimov.org> wrote:
> A colleague suggested that they should open the blue one too, to see if
> there's an even smaller capacitor inside.

LOL! That's a good one :-) Like the Russian Matryoshka doll :-)

Tamas
--
/* http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="/*
http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s=%s%s%s,
q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }

2009\10\31@081936 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Jinx <joecolquittSTOPspamspamspam_OUTclear.net.nz> wrote:
>> A colleague suggested that they should open the blue one too, to see if
>> there's an even smaller capacitor inside.
>
> Hehe, I didn't know the xxxxxxese were into matryoshka dolls

Yep, sorry, I could not see your message before I sent mine :-)

--
/* http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s="/*
http://www.mcuhobby.com */ int main() { char *a,*s,*q; printf(s=%s%s%s,
q=%s%s%s%s,s,q,q,a=%s%s%s%s,q,q,q,a,a,q); }",
q="\"",s,q,q,a="\\",q,q,q,a,a,q); }

2009\10\31@111123 by Terry Harris

picon face
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:25:47 -0700, Vitaliy wrote:

>Sean Breheny wrote:
>> Here is one example of counterfeit parts which is pretty funny (unless
>> you designed them in to something):
>>
>> http://blog.makezine.com/MAKE_PT0153.jpg
>
>ROFL!!!!
>
>:-D
>
>A colleague suggested that they should open the blue one too, to see if
>there's an even smaller capacitor inside.

Wouldn't have much confidence the Rubycon cap isn't a fake.

Also if you see Bubycon parts it isn't a typo, someone in China decided it
would be a good name for a capacitor manufacturer...

The only fake problem I have personally experienced was with a Fairchild
logic level MOSFET on some boards assembled in China. They looked fake and
were not logic level enough. The threshold voltage was way out of spec.


2009\10\31@115336 by Isaac Marino Bavaresco

flavicon
face
Terry Harris escreveu:
{Quote hidden}

Last week we received a lot of 7805 voltage regulators in TO-220 package
and I think they are fake.

They are marked as On Semiconductor parts, but the metal tab is too
thin, about the same thickness as the package pins. I can bend it with
my hands.
In every TO-220 package I have ever seen before, the metal tab is much
thicker than the pins.

Isaac

__________________________________________________
Faça ligações para outros computadores com o novo Yahoo! Messenger
http://br.beta.messenger.yahoo.com/

2009\10\31@150610 by Gerhard Fiedler

picon face
Isaac Marino Bavaresco wrote:

> Last week we received a lot of 7805 voltage regulators in TO-220 package
> and I think they are fake.
>
> They are marked as On Semiconductor parts, but the metal tab is too
> thin, about the same thickness as the package pins. I can bend it with
> my hands.
> In every TO-220 package I have ever seen before, the metal tab is much
> thicker than the pins.

According to their specs, that tab is between 0.508mm and 1.39mm and the
pins are between 0.46mm and 0.64mm. So in theory you could get a case
that's within spec and still has thicker pins than the tab.

Gerhard

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2009 , 2010 only
- Today
- New search...