Searching \ for '[OT]Can you run a program on a host computer witho' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=can+you+run+program
Search entire site for: 'Can you run a program on a host computer witho'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT]Can you run a program on a host computer witho'
2005\11\06@214724 by Wallace Yang

picon face
Dear Piclist members:

Consider the scenario where there are 2 computer
workstations:

StationA with employeeA uses win 2k.

StationB with employeeB uses win xp.

StationA contains a software program that employeeB
wants to run.  Aside from installing the software on
to StationB, is there anyway for employeeB to run the
software without taking full control of the mouse
keyboard, viewscreen, disrupting employeeA?

Thanks.

Wallace Yang
spam_OUTyangres2002TakeThisOuTspamrogers.com

2005\11\06@221115 by Michael Davidson

flavicon
face
Wallace Yang wrote:
> Dear Piclist members:
>
> Consider the scenario where there are 2 computer
> workstations:
>
> StationA with employeeA uses win 2k.
>
> StationB with employeeB uses win xp.
>
> StationA contains a software program that employeeB
> wants to run.  Aside from installing the software on
> to StationB, is there anyway for employeeB to run the
> software without taking full control of the mouse
> keyboard, viewscreen, disrupting employeeA?

Depending on the software, yes. Something like a PCB layout tool, a mail
client, browser, etc can be ran fine over Terminal Services (aka Remote
Desktop) / VNC. I'm actually writing this now via rdesktop. You're
unlikely to get satisfactory results if you're trying to run something
like an OpenGL / DirectX game or watch a movie.

VNC: http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc
rdesktop (An open source Terminal Services client): http://www.rdesktop.org

Terminal Services is a part of Windows 2K / XP. I'm not sure what
version it comes with though. I think the server only comes with
"Professional" versions. I've generally found Terminal Services to be a
much better experience than VNC, but your mileage may vary.

VNC has the advantage of having a client and server for just about every
platform under the sun, and generally being free.

Michael Davidson

2005\11\06@223242 by Jake Anderson

flavicon
face
vnc takes controll of the console user so it will disrupt employeeA

if you are running XP pro then it does have rdesktop installed but you will
need to get additional client access licences from microsoft to allow both
users to login to the pc at the same time

> {Original Message removed}

2005\11\06@225035 by Matthew Fries

flavicon
face
This is what you want:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html



At 09:47 PM 11/6/2005 -0500, you wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>-

2005\11\07@170059 by regen / Mailinglists

flavicon
face
> vnc takes controll of the console user so it will disrupt employeeA
>
> if you are running XP pro then it does have rdesktop
> installed but you will need to get additional client access
> licences from microsoft to allow both users to login to the
> pc at the same time

Remote Desktop also takes full controll of the PC. XP does not llow to
independend sessions on the same PC.

That is only working with a Remote Desktop Server.

Best Jens

2005\11\07@174658 by Richard Prosser

picon face
I don't know if it would work - but could you run a virtual machine on
the remote PC - in effect it would be running 2 op systems at the same
time.
Is this feasible?
Obviously you are likely to slow things down a little, and may have
fun with file locking etc. but, possibly, it seems, it could work.

RP

On 08/11/05, Jens M. Guessregen / Mailinglists
<jmg_mailinglistsspamKILLspammcm-it.de> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

> -

2005\11\07@181854 by regen / Mailinglists

flavicon
face
> I don't know if it would work - but could you run a virtual
> machine on the remote PC - in effect it would be running 2 op
> systems at the same time.
> Is this feasible?
> Obviously you are likely to slow things down a little, and
> may have fun with file locking etc. but, possibly, it seems,
> it could work.

VitualPC2005 will run, yes, and you can connect via RDP to the VirtualPC, but then you are there, but not where you want to go to.
A VirtualPC normaly is a complete on it´s own PC ;-) You even can install Windows Server there, if you want so. But at least, it is another PC ...

I think, there is only one solution, but that will only work, if the target PC is on XP and it is NOT a member of a Windows Domain. Than you can log in with 2 different accounts at the same time, but only one can work. In this case, programms of the non-activ login are still running in background.

But I do not know, if RDP is possible for that.

Best Jens

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2005 , 2006 only
- Today
- New search...