Searching \ for '[OT] proximity detector' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=proximity+detector
Search entire site for: 'proximity detector'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] proximity detector'
1999\01\16@222702 by Peter Grey

picon face
I wonder if anyone can help. I have an application where I wish to
photograph a boat and people at night (IR camera) but need to be able to
detect that they are there and in which direction (so I can point a camera
at them). This is to monitor offshore property. I need to get a range of
some 100 metres reliably. Hydrophones have been suggested but I am concerned
about directional capabilities and possible interferences. Does anyone have
any ideas in this field?

TIA,

Peter Grey
Neosystems

1999\01\17@063543 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
>some 100 metres reliably. Hydrophones have been suggested but I am concerned
>about directional capabilities and possible interferences. Does anyone have
>any ideas in this field?

IR sounds like it would indeed be functional, especially if you use the IR
sensitivity of a CCD as a starting point.

Andy


  \-----------------/
   \     /---\     /
    \    |   |    /          Andy Kunz
     \   /---\   /           Montana Design
/---------+   +---------\     http://www.montanadesign.com
| /  |----|___|----|  \ |
\/___|      *      |___\/     Go fast, turn right,
                              and keep the wet side down!

1999\01\17@163506 by Claus »rnh┐j Petersen

flavicon
face
The German magazine "Funk amateur" january 1999 issue has an article on how
to build a "private radar".
It uses the KMY-24 from Siemens (priced around 100 DM). It works at 2,54 GH.
The interface circuitry is build using 10+ "discrete"(no mcu's)  ICs, and
uses a ICM7217 to display distance or speed.
Caveat: max. detectable distance is 8 m! :-( But perhaps Siemens has other
and better units ?

-cp



{Original Message removed}

1999\01\17@205153 by Mark Willis

flavicon
face
Low-tech solution:  Black Polypropylene rope floats on water.  Let
them wrap the stuff around their propeller shafts, pulling a bend in the
rope out of a clothespin type clamp switch that turns on an alarm, and
likely they'll still be there when you get there, trying to figure what
went wrong with their prop.

 I Scuba dive, and in the search and rescue group I was in, one other
member was having problems in the Hood Canal area with some bozo playing
slalom at full speed around her basic open water class students with
their fast boat, "diver down" flags and all.  I suggested this to her &
the perpetrators may now (years later) be out of jail - but I doubt
they'll do THAT again.  She put 4 flags up & just added rope between the
flags...  Might work for you.

 Mark, spam_OUTmwillisTakeThisOuTspamnwlink.com

Peter Grey wrote:
{Quote hidden}

1999\01\17@212739 by Peter Grey

picon face
At 05:50 PM 17/01/99 -0800, you wrote:
Mark,

An interesting solution as the simple ones usually are. I do need to know
the direction of the boat so I can point the camera at it.

Thanks for the suggestion.


Peter

{Quote hidden}

1999\01\17@231230 by Gerhard Fiedler
picon face
At 13:26 01/18/99 +1100, Peter Grey wrote:
>At 05:50 PM 17/01/99 -0800, you wrote:
>An interesting solution as the simple ones usually are. I do need to know
>the direction of the boat so I can point the camera at it.
>
>>Low-tech solution:  Black Polypropylene rope floats on water.  Let
>>them wrap the stuff around their propeller shafts, pulling a bend in the
>>rope out of a clothespin type clamp switch that turns on an alarm, and
>>likely they'll still be there when you get there, trying to figure what
>>went wrong with their prop.
>>
>>  Mark, mwillisspamKILLspamnwlink.com
>>
>>Peter Grey wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder if anyone can help. I have an application where I wish to
>>> photograph a boat and people at night (IR camera) but need to be able to
>>> detect that they are there and in which direction (so I can point a camera
>>> at them). This is to monitor offshore property. I need to get a range of
>>> some 100 metres reliably. Hydrophones have been suggested but I am
concerned
>>> about directional capabilities and possible interferences. Does anyone have
>>> any ideas in this field?

if you can put buoys in the water, you can segment the rope, with segments
small enough that you can maybe cover them with a few shots.

ge

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...