Searching \ for '[OT] homebrew plastic cases' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=homebrew+plastic
Search entire site for: 'homebrew plastic cases'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] homebrew plastic cases'
1998\12\28@230350 by ssj

flavicon
face
Hello again!

I need to make a very little quantity of plastic case, very small and
sinple,
but I can't afford the cost of develop one...
Anyone know if is the a way to make a mold and "press" my own box in home?


--
Silvio Borges
spam_OUTssjTakeThisOuTspamunorpnet.com.br
ICQ: 2221034

1998\12\29@034529 by terratrade

flavicon
face
T_BoNe wrote:
>
> Hello again!
>
> I need to make a very little quantity of plastic case, very small and
> sinple,
> but I can't afford the cost of develop one...
> Anyone know if is the a way to make a mold and "press" my own box in home?
> --
> Silvio Borges
> .....ssjKILLspamspam@spam@unorpnet.com.br
> ICQ: 2221034

Lots of real nifty homebrew tool books, including plastic injection, at

http://www.linsaybks.com/

Regards/Roger, in Bangkok

1998\12\29@052338 by Martin Tibor

flavicon
face
Is it just me. I can't get this site to load?
http://www.linsaybks.com/

At 02:44 PM 12/29/98 +0700, Roger N. Shane wrote:
{Quote hidden}

Marty Tibor
1 Stop Speech Recognition and Adaptive Technology Synapse
3095 Kerner Blvd., Suite S, San Rafael, CA  94901
toll-free 888-285-9988
http://www.synapseadaptive.com
Providers of adaptive and assistive technology solutions.
http://www.unixspeech.com
UNIX, mainframe and Mac speech recognition
www.synapseadaptive.com/joel/default.htm
Synapse hosts the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Unofficial Information Pages

1998\12\29@085117 by Engineering Department

flavicon
face
<Martin Tibor observes

>Is it just me. I can't get this site to load?
>http://www.linsaybks.com/


Guess not.  I've got the same problem.

Roger, to you have a more current URL?

Cheers,

Win Wiencke

1998\12\29@090156 by Steve Tomes

flavicon
face
At 08:50 AM 12/29/98 -0500, you wrote:
><Martin Tibor observes
>
>>Is it just me. I can't get this site to load?
>>http://www.linsaybks.com/
>
>
>Guess not.  I've got the same problem.
>
>Roger, to you have a more current URL?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Win Wiencke
>
>
I Think that he ment:   http://www.lindsaybks.com/


Steve Tomes

1998\12\29@100800 by lilel

flavicon
face
> Hello again!
>
> I need to make a very little quantity of plastic case, very small
> and sinple, but I can't afford the cost of develop one... Anyone
> know if is the a way to make a mold and "press" my own box in home?

We make a lot of plastic enclosures and gizmos using clear lexan and
a solvent glue process.  Any solvent that will dissolve plastic, like
Methyl Ethyl Ketone, will make a good glue.  Brush it on (in a well
ventilated area away from open flames!)  to an edge of a piece of
plastic and stick the plastic to another piece.  Wait a minute, and
it's glued.

Clear lexan is pretty machinable, albeit brittle, and responds fairly
well to a sheet metal shear if you have one.  Wood saws work well if
you go slow enough not to melt.

Other plastics will also work.
-- Lawrence Lile

=> Median Filter Source Code
=> AutoCad blocks for electrical drafting
=> Brownout tester plans
=> Amateurish pictures of my family

at:  http://home1.gte.net/llile/index.htm

1998\12\29@125106 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Martin Tibor wrote:

> Is it just me. I can't get this site to load?
> http://www.linsaybks.com/

Try
http://www.lindsaybks.com/
             ^

Peter

1998\12\30@015619 by roger

flavicon
face
Danged disexlaxic keyboard...  http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Roger N. Shane wrote:

{Quote hidden}

1998\12\30@091847 by lilel

flavicon
face
> Martin writes:
>
>
>  What type of plastic is Plexoglass?

I think Plexiglass is Lexan... ?

>In a previous job, we
> used a thin clear liquid called Weldon to glue pieces of Plexoglass
> together.  It worked by dissolving the surfaces and made a bond that
> was usually stronger than the individual pieces.  I remember Weldon
> as having about the same consistency and volatility as acetone, but
> with a very unpleasant odor.


Probably Acetone with a little Skunk Smell mixed in.  <G>    Yes, you
were using solvent glues.  Many solvents will melt plastics, incl.
acetone, methylene chloride, and a bunch of others.  They also all
cause cancer and lung disease, and some of them will get you very
high just before they kill you.  Use ventilation and carbon filter
masks, and rubber gloves.

-- Lawrence Lile

=> Median Filter Source Code
=> AutoCad blocks for electrical drafting
=> Brownout tester plans
=> Amateurish pictures of my family

at:  http://home1.gte.net/llile/index.htm

1998\12\30@093102 by Mike Sauve

flavicon
face
At 08:16 AM 12/30/98 +0000, Lawrence Lile wrote...
>> Martin writes:
>>
>>  What type of plastic is Plexoglass?
>
>I think Plexiglass is Lexan... ?

Plexiglass is acrylic. I believe that Lexan is polycarbonate.

Mike

1998\12\30@095153 by David Porter

flavicon
face
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 08:16:54 +0000, Lawrence Lile wrote:
Plexiglas(r) used to be a trademark of Rohm and Haas for their acrylic plastic.
R&H has sold its acrylic
business to Elf-Atochem and I am no longer sure of what trademark they are using
in the US.  Lexan(r) is
GE's trademark for Polycarbonate.  R&H used to sell their polycarbonate under th
e name Tuffak(r)

As for cementing it, the Weldon liquid material is substantially methylene chlor
ide and needs to be treated
with care.  In companies that care to enforce safety standards, or care about ge
tting sued later, this material
must be used with all the precautions mentioned below.  Stupid people and compan
ies don't.

David Porter


{Quote hidden}

1998\12\30@112525 by Morgan Olsson

picon face
At 08:16 1998-12-30 +0000, you wrote:
>Many solvents will melt plastics, incl.
>acetone, methylene chloride, and a bunch of others.  They also all
>cause cancer and lung disease, and some of them will get you very
>high just before they kill you.  Use ventilation and carbon filter
>masks, and rubber gloves.

Test the gloves to the solvent first so they dont mel on you.

Acetone is probably the least harmful usable solvent.

I think citrus oil is also good and harmless, but i have not been able to
"get my hands on it" yet.

I heard about newspaper companies moving over to citrus oil to clean the
printing rolls daily, instead of some very nasty solvent, and, the citrus
oil working better, and in addition no health problems less problem with
protection clothing. :)

/Morgan
       Morgan Olsson                   ph  +46(0)414 70741
       MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK            fax +46(0)414 70331
       H€LLEKS           (in A-Z letters: "HALLEKAS")
       SE-277 35 KIVIK, SWEDEN               EraseMEmrtspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTiname.com
___________________________________________________________

1998\12\30@112532 by Morgan Olsson

picon face
At 08:16 1998-12-30 +0000, you wrote:

>I think Plexiglass is Lexan... ?

They are both just brand names.

It is better to use the real material names to avoid confusion like this,
and much easier to order from different sources as well.  
What if we ordered alumina sheets by one manufacturers special name??

I know Plexiglass is acrylic.

I believe Lexan is polycarbonate, but not sure.

For professionalism: Beware that as for example alumina, and other
materials, plastics may have slightly varying data (like melting points,
water absorbtion etc) although the main material names / product names are
the same.

/Morgan
       Morgan Olsson                   ph  +46(0)414 70741
       MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK            fax +46(0)414 70331
       H€LLEKS           (in A-Z letters: "HALLEKAS")
       SE-277 35 KIVIK, SWEDEN               mrtspamspam_OUTiname.com
___________________________________________________________

1998\12\31@091636 by lilel

flavicon
face
>
> I think citrus oil is also good and harmless, but i have not been
> able to "get my hands on it" yet.

Go to a grocery store and get some Citra-Solv.  It is diluted, but
will cut a lot of things.

>
> I heard about newspaper companies moving over to citrus oil to clean
> the printing rolls daily, instead of some very nasty solvent, and,
> the citrus oil working better, and in addition no health problems
> less problem with protection clothing. :)

Citrus oil is percieved as "organic" and therefore "good".  I was
involved in testing citrus oil as a cleaner in a plastics plant.  I
started cleaning a tub with it in a poorly ventilated area.  I began
having a lot of fun doing this.  Soon, I noticed that me feet were
not actually touching the ground as I walked.  As they carried me out
to the fresh air on a stretcher, I was noted to remark:

"Blurble Flooble blishnatch."

Citrus oil may be naturally derived, but it still has serious health
effects.  I had a helluva hangover when I recovered.


-- Lawrence Lile

=> Median Filter Source Code
=> AutoCad blocks for electrical drafting
=> Brownout tester plans
=> Amateurish pictures of my family

at:  http://home1.gte.net/llile/index.htm

1998\12\31@104511 by Morgan Olsson

picon face
>Citrus oil may be naturally derived, but it still has serious health
>effects.  I had a helluva hangover when I recovered.

I belive so.

But  I think it is like for Alcohol; it health effect os mostly
temporarily, and not cancerogenic like some tetra-methyl-clorine or
something like that that my father was using a while.
       Morgan Olsson                   ph  +46(0)414 70741
       MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK            fax +46(0)414 70331
       H€LLEKS           (in A-Z letters: "HALLEKAS")
       SE-277 35 KIVIK, SWEDEN               @spam@mrtKILLspamspaminame.com
___________________________________________________________

1998\12\31@171549 by William Chops Westfield

face picon face
   >Citrus oil may be naturally derived, but it still has serious health
   >effects.  I had a helluva hangover when I recovered.

   But  I think it is like for Alcohol; it health effect os mostly
   temporarily, and not cancerogenic like some tetra-methyl-clorine or
   something like that that my father was using a while.

Yah, sure.  My hemlock soda didn't go over well, either.  Didn't cause
cancer, though...

BillW

1998\12\31@174045 by paulb

flavicon
face
Lawrence Lile wrote:

> As they carried me out to the fresh air on a stretcher, I was noted to
> remark:

> "Blurble Flooble blishnatch."

 Says it all, doesn't it?

> Go to a grocery store and get some Citra-Solv.  It is diluted, but
> will cut a lot of things.

 This reminds me of Eucalyptus oil, which is a moderately popular
product "over here".  Strictly, Tea-Tree Oil (aka "Ti-Tree") is "trendy"
or at least heavily promoted and more expensive, but doesn't actually
seem to do anything at all better than Eucalyptus.

 This is a great solvent for natural rubber and dirty things, but has
little or no solvency for plastics.  Which is a Good Thing, since I use
it particularly for cleaning my keyboards and computer monitors!  When
my wife is out that is, as I am prohibited from opening the bottle in
her presence.  She's a little sensitive though.

 Trouble is, I like to keep it in a dropper bottle.  With a rubber
bulb.

 I would *expect* citrus oil to be similar.

> Citrus oil is percieved as "organic" and therefore "good".

 So's cannabis ;-)

Morgan Olsson wrote:

> Test the gloves to the solvent first so they dont melt on you.

 As I figure above; I'd punt they *will* with citrus oil (most oils).
You'd probably need plastic gloves for this.

> I heard about newspaper companies moving over to citrus oil to clean
> the printing rolls daily, instead of some very nasty solvent, and, the
> citrus oil working better, and in addition no health problems less
> problem with protection clothing. :)

 Again, it may remove printer's ink beautifully, but not necessarily
be a solvent for plastic.

> Acetone is probably the least harmful usable solvent.

 I *know* it eats acrylic, but not at all sure whether it affects the
polycarbonate; ergo the need for the "stronger" solvents.

 Acetone is fairly "natural", i.e., present in the body and therefore
not too likely carcinogenic, not to say it isn't toxic at high
concentrations, like *anything else* including water.  Water
intoxication is a not uncommon mode of death ;-)
--
 Cheers,
       Paul B.


'[OT] homebrew plastic cases'
1999\01\01@234552 by Morgan Olsson
picon face
At 09:38 1999-01-01 +1000, you wrote:
>Lawrence Lile wrote:
>
>> As they carried me out to the fresh air on a stretcher, I was noted to
>> remark:
>
>> "Blurble Flooble blishnatch."
>
>  Says it all, doesn't it?
>
>> Go to a grocery store and get some Citra-Solv.  It is diluted, but
>> will cut a lot of things.
>
>  This reminds me of Eucalyptus oil, which is a moderately popular
>product "over here".  Strictly, Tea-Tree Oil (aka "Ti-Tree") is "trendy"
>or at least heavily promoted and more expensive, but doesn't actually
>seem to do anything at all better than Eucalyptus.

I got recommended to use Tea-Tree Oil for a small infection on my cheek.
It felt like it almost removed my cheek, but not killing the infection
completely.  Got better stuff from a doctor later.

Thank you for the tip.
I will try the rest of the oil next time to clean or glue.

I also have bottle of some mixture of herbaloils, amongst them Eucalyptus
oil, that is good to put some drops of on the pillow to ease breathing when
having a cold.  Very nice smell.


>  This is a great solvent for natural rubber and dirty things, but has
>little or no solvency for plastics.  Which is a Good Thing, since I use
>it particularly for cleaning my keyboards and computer monitors!  When
>my wife is out that is, as I am prohibited from opening the bottle in
>her presence.  She's a little sensitive though.
>
>  Trouble is, I like to keep it in a dropper bottle.  With a rubber
>bulb.

Hehe..

>  I would *expect* citrus oil to be similar.
>
>> Citrus oil is percieved as "organic" and therefore "good".
>
>  So's cannabis ;-)

..and uranium isotopes ;)

{Quote hidden}

A friend at a german university told that they were not allowd to let
acetone out in the drain, because it will kill too much cleaning microbes
at the drain refinement plant (i don«t know the right word), but alcohol
was OK.

When he was in Sweden he was allowed to let acetone out, but not alcohol,
for the same reason.

Actually neither is good in too high concentrations of course, but it is
sometimes fun to study regualtions ;)

>  Water
>intoxication is a not uncommon mode of death ;-)

Last year ther was a girl dying from drinking too much water.
Her yoga teacher had told her to drink much, and she was much more eager to
yoga than the teacher expected...

>--
>  Cheers,
>        Paul B.

Happy New Year
/Morgan
       Morgan Olsson                   ph  +46(0)414 70741
       MORGANS REGLERTEKNIK            fax +46(0)414 70331
       H€LLEKS           (in A-Z letters: "HALLEKAS")
       SE-277 35 KIVIK, SWEDEN               KILLspammrtKILLspamspaminame.com
___________________________________________________________

1999\01\02@135729 by Peter L. Peres

picon face
On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Morgan Olsson wrote:

> A friend at a german university told that they were not allowd to let
> acetone out in the drain, because it will kill too much cleaning microbes
> at the drain refinement plant (i don´t know the right word), but alcohol
> was OK.
>
> When he was in Sweden he was allowed to let acetone out, but not alcohol,
> for the same reason.
>
> Actually neither is good in too high concentrations of course, but it is
> sometimes fun to study regualtions ;)

Just a wild guess here: Sweden has pretty tough Alcohool regulations, and
Germany not, no ? ;) So Swedish purification plant bacteria are not
supposed to break the law and get happy so easy. Hehehe.

Peter

1999\01\02@165243 by Gerhard Fiedler

picon face
At 19:29 01/01/99 +0100, Morgan Olsson wrote:
>When he was in Sweden he was allowed to let acetone out, but not alcohol,
>for the same reason.
>
>Actually neither is good in too high concentrations of course, but it is
>sometimes fun to study regualtions ;)

true. in germany, when they want to keep a lake clean, they ban
motorcrafts, but still let people still swim. here in california, they ban
the swimmers, but let the motorcrafts (of course, with people on them :-)
run...

ge

1999\01\02@193019 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
>true. in germany, when they want to keep a lake clean, they ban
>motorcrafts, but still let people still swim. here in california, they ban
>the swimmers, but let the motorcrafts (of course, with people on them :-)

That's because American's are as stupid as fish.  They'll do **anything**
in the water.

I have a friend who's a P. T. Barnum fan.  Barnum wouldn't drink water (he
preferred alcohol) because "fish **** in it."

Andy

==================================================================
 Andy Kunz - Montana Design - http://www.users.fast.net/~montana
==================================================================

1999\01\02@195256 by Michael J. Ghormley

flavicon
face
Andy Kunz wrote:

> I have a friend who's a P. T. Barnum fan.  Barnum wouldn't drink water (he
> preferred alcohol) because "fish **** in it."

Twas W. C. Fields.

Michael

* TAKE THE '.NOSPAM' OUT OF MY ADDRESS TO REPLY
**********************************************
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too hard to read anyway!
                                 Groucho Marx
**********************************************

1999\01\02@214732 by dave vanhorn

flavicon
face
>I have a friend who's a P. T. Barnum fan.  Barnum wouldn't drink water (he
>preferred alcohol) because "fish **** in it."


That's a WC Fields quote.  "Because fish make love in it."

1999\01\03@225833 by Andy Kunz

flavicon
face
At 04:40 AM 1/3/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Andy Kunz wrote:
>
>> I have a friend who's a P. T. Barnum fan.  Barnum wouldn't drink water (he
>> preferred alcohol) because "fish **** in it."
>
>Twas W. C. Fields.

Thanks, Michael.  I stand corrected.  This friend of mine is big in old
humorists including Barnum, Fields, Laurel & Hardy, etc.

Andy

==================================================================
 Andy Kunz - Montana Design - http://www.users.fast.net/~montana
==================================================================

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...