Searching \ for '[OT] Where have all the minds gone?' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=where+all+minds
Search entire site for: 'Where have all the minds gone?'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Where have all the minds gone?'
2007\03\16@140534 by James Newtons Massmind

face picon face
Here is where:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Infinite_20energy_20from_20Vampires look at
the amount of brain power that is tossed into thinking about this idea.

The fact that I find it absolutely hilarious is beside the point.

Half Bakery is one of my favorite places on the net, and I could spend way
too much time there... Seriously, be careful if you decide to check it out.
It is best used to get YOUR insane ideas out of your head and not to read
other peoples ideas. E.g. You should NOT read:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Voice_20of_20GOD_20on_20the_20road and
especially not this one:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Sillicon_20Implant_20trackball

But the all time funniest one is this:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/evil_20laugh_20activated_20hand_20dryer If
you read it, you may never be the same again... At least in public
restrooms.

How to ruin your day:
http://www.halfbakery.com/view/best

---
James Newton: PICList webmaster/Admin
spam_OUTjamesnewtonTakeThisOuTspampiclist.com  1-619-652-0593 phone
http://www.piclist.com/member/JMN-EFP-786
PIC/PICList FAQ: http://www.piclist.com


2007\03\16@142339 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>  You should NOT read:
> http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Voice_20of_20GOD_20on_20the_20road and


Two words.. COMB GENERATOR.   Who CARES what channel he's listening to?

2007\03\16@153749 by Marcel duchamp

picon face
David VanHorn wrote:
>>  You should NOT read:
>> http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Voice_20of_20GOD_20on_20the_20road and
>
>
> Two words.. COMB GENERATOR.   Who CARES what channel he's listening to?

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. AM, FM, emergency services.

Unfortunately, the ones I worked on were not mobile.  They were inside
highway tunnels.  Cars went in, their radios went dead, drivers complained.

Guy I worked for 20 very odd years ago built these systems.  One or two
were installed in Hawaii, a few in California, and one in the I-95 "Ft.
McHenry" tunnel in Baltimore. Others in other tunnels.

An outside antenna picked up the AM-FM bands and an amplifier
rebroadcast them in the tunnel along Radiax strung along the walls on
standoffs.  In the event of trouble, the tunnel operators could switch
off the re-broadcast and turn on a comb generator and put their
emergency messages on all station slots simultaneously. Police, fire and
ambulance services were also accommodated.

A digital voice recorder had canned messages like "the tunnels on fire
and you're all going to die!!!"  I think they removed those.  No sense
of humor.


2007\03\16@155433 by James Newtons Massmind

face picon face
> >  You should NOT read:
> >
> http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Voice_20of_20GOD_20on_20the_20road and
>
>
> Two words.. COMB GENERATOR.   Who CARES what channel he's
> listening to?


True, but the idea here was to speak to just one person, not everyone in the
area. Of course, even the original idea would end up with your voice in
multiple cars if the others were tuned to the same station, but it would be
a bit less likely. Especially when it's that one jerk...

---
James.


2007\03\16@155754 by alan smith
picon face
I'm thinkin a dsPIC needs to be used with the beam splitter theory....that should make it sound enough

James Newtons Massmind <.....jamesnewtonKILLspamspam@spam@massmind.org> wrote:  Here is where:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Infinite_20energy_20from_20Vampires look at
the amount of brain power that is tossed into thinking about this idea.

The fact that I find it absolutely hilarious is beside the point.

Half Bakery is one of my favorite places on the net, and I could spend way
too much time there... Seriously, be careful if you decide to check it out.
It is best used to get YOUR insane ideas out of your head and not to read
other peoples ideas. E.g. You should NOT read:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Voice_20of_20GOD_20on_20the_20road and
especially not this one:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Sillicon_20Implant_20trackball

But the all time funniest one is this:
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/evil_20laugh_20activated_20hand_20dryer If
you read it, you may never be the same again... At least in public
restrooms.

How to ruin your day:
http://www.halfbakery.com/view/best

---
James Newton: PICList webmaster/Admin
jamesnewtonspamKILLspampiclist.com 1-619-652-0593 phone
http://www.piclist.com/member/JMN-EFP-786
PIC/PICList FAQ: http://www.piclist.com


2007\03\16@155756 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> Guy I worked for 20 very odd years ago built these systems.  One or two
> were installed in Hawaii, a few in California, and one in the I-95 "Ft.
> McHenry" tunnel in Baltimore. Others in other tunnels.


Hah! I remember that one, in the pali tunnel!  I saw the radiax.
(aka Tandy RG-8 :)  )


A digital voice recorder had canned messages like "the tunnels on fire
> and you're all going to die!!!"  I think they removed those.  No sense
> of humor.


The pali one is pretty short, I always thought it was silly to turn the
lights on and off.

2007\03\16@161741 by Philip Pemberton

face
flavicon
face
David VanHorn wrote:
> Two words.. COMB GENERATOR.   Who CARES what channel he's listening to?

My knowledge of radio receiver technology is a bit sparse, but couldn't you
just be able to transmit something on the radio's IF?

One of these days I'll find a good book on radio receiver design, then I'll
build that neat little digitally-tuned PC-interfaced AM/FM receiver I've been
promising myself. Would be even cooler if I could get it to pick up SSB and
DRM transmissions too...

Argh, my project list just keeps getting longer...

--
Phil.                         |  (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
.....piclistKILLspamspam.....philpem.me.uk         | (='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
http://www.philpem.me.uk/     | (")_(") world domination.

2007\03\16@165340 by David VanHorn

picon face
On 3/16/07, Philip Pemberton <EraseMEpiclistspam_OUTspamTakeThisOuTphilpem.me.uk> wrote:
>
> David VanHorn wrote:
> > Two words.. COMB GENERATOR.   Who CARES what channel he's listening to?
>
> My knowledge of radio receiver technology is a bit sparse, but couldn't
> you
> just be able to transmit something on the radio's IF?


You may or may not be able to get into the receiver, since the front end
likely won't pass that frequency.

2007\03\17@073558 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Marcel,

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:37:43 -0700, Marcel duchamp wrote:

>...
> A digital voice recorder had canned messages like "the tunnels on fire
> and you're all going to die!!!"  I think they removed those.  No sense
> of humor.

ROFL!  I think a good one would be:  "Don't Panic, there is no need to be alarmed, please continue to act normally and remain calm..."  ;-)

This reminds me of an insurance system of which I was on the development team a number of years ago.  When setting up the test data, I put in a
entry in the "Disease" table of "Terminal Halitosis".  A couple of years later I was browsing through the live system, and found that entry was still in
there!  I did a quick query to check that no claims actually cited that, and they didn't, but I decided not to delete it anyway, just in case...

(In case anyone isn't familiar with the term, Halitosis is bad breath, and I'm fairly sure it's never been fatal!  :-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


2007\03\17@101922 by Dave Tweed

face
flavicon
face
Howard Winter <HDRWspamspam_OUTH2Org.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> This reminds me of an insurance system of which I was on the development
> team a number of years ago.  When setting up the test data, I put in a
> entry in the "Disease" table of "Terminal Halitosis".  A couple of years
> later I was browsing through the live system, and found that entry was
> still in there!  I did a quick query to check that no claims actually
> cited that, and they didn't, but I decided not to delete it anyway, just
> in case...
>
> (In case anyone isn't familiar with the term, Halitosis is bad breath,
> and I'm fairly sure it's never been fatal!  :-)

Very funny!

Back in college, we used to discuss the scourge of TF that seemed to crop
up within our group at various times (Terminal Flatulence).

Years later, I actually heard about a real case -- something having to do
with an overweight person sleeping in a small, poorly ventilated room
following a large meail involving beans. Suffocated by f*rts!

-- Dave Tweed

2007\03\19@093940 by William Couture

face picon face
On 3/17/07, Howard Winter <@spam@HDRWKILLspamspamh2org.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> This reminds me of an insurance system of which I was on the development team a
> number of years ago.  When setting up the test data, I put in a entry in the "Disease"
> table of "Terminal Halitosis".  A couple of years later I was browsing through the live
> system, and found that entry was still in there!  I did a quick query to check that no
> claims actually cited that, and they didn't, but I decided not to delete it anyway, just
> in case...
>
> (In case anyone isn't familiar with the term, Halitosis is bad breath, and I'm fairly
> sure it's never been fatal!  :-)

Not to the patient, anyway...   :)

Bill

--
Psst...  Hey, you... Buddy...  Want a kitten?  straycatblues.petfinder.org

2007\03\19@143307 by Martin McCormick

flavicon
face
"Howard Winter" writes:
> This reminds me of an insurance system of which I was on the development
> team a number of years ago.  When setting up the test data, I put in a
> entry in the "Disease" table of "Terminal Halitosis".  A couple of years
> later I was browsing through the live system, and found that entry was
> still in

       Back when I was a service technician with the Oklahoma
State University Audio Visual Center, one of the faculty members
brought his telephone answering machine in for repair.  It was
something minor like a broken belt (glorified rubber band,) and
I fixed it and was testing it when I accidentally erased the
Answer message he had on it, the usual "I'm out of the office,
but if you leave a message, ETC."

       I tested the message recorder by leaving the following
message which I then forgot to erase:

               Hello.  You have reached The North American Air
Defense Command headquarters at Chianne Mountain.  There's
nobody in right now, but if you are having trouble with enemy
aircraft or missiles headed your way, please leave your name and
number at the beep and we will get back to you sometime between
8 and 5 tomorrow if there is a tomorrow."

       The machine went out and, a few days later, a call came
in from this professor.

       Fortunately, he had a sense of humor and I apologized
profusely, but he went on to say that he had put the machine
back in service and it had taken several calls that day before
he discovered the new message.


Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer
OSU Information Technology Department Network Operations Group

2007\03\19@144847 by Dario Greggio

face picon face
Martin McCormick wrote:

>        Back when I was a service technician with the Oklahoma

Nice one Martin!
Incidentally, isn't McCornick the name of a character in WarGames? :)

--
Ciao, Dario
--
ADPM Synthesis sas - Torino

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...