Searching \ for '[OT] USB KM switch' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=usb+switch
Search entire site for: 'USB KM switch'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] USB KM switch'
2008\02\22@125917 by Martin

face
flavicon
face
Can anyone recommend a USB KVM switch, minus the "V" ?
must be USB, I'm going between a Mac (USB only) and PC.

Thanks
Martin

2008\02\22@142947 by Brendan Gillatt

flavicon
face
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Martin wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a USB KVM switch, minus the "V" ?
> must be USB, I'm going between a Mac (USB only) and PC.

Like:
www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-2x1-USB-Peripheral-Switch/dp/B000KRN1Q8
coupled with a hub?

Or do you need PS/2 *and* USB?

You could probably make a switch yourself without *too* much trouble with
wafer switches.

- --
Brendan Gillatt | GPG Key: 0xBF6A0D94
brendan {a} brendangillatt (dot) co (dot) uk
http://www.brendangillatt.co.uk
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFHvyKnuv4tpb9qDZQRAqShAJ0dlKRSoMqFzaNS1YnFzOHuJuUIkgCfTjAI
6R24uIAQF8DLqwaaR+Zqy6Q=
=sxeg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

2008\02\22@162534 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 19:29 +0000, Brendan Gillatt wrote:

> You could probably make a switch yourself without *too* much trouble with
> wafer switches.

Not really. Remember, the switching function of a KVM is actually more
complicated then just switching.

Modern KVMs "trick" the connected PCs into thinking the keyboard and
monitor are always connected, even when that machine isn't the one
current selected.

This allows a PC to boot normally, among other things (i.e. maintaining
the state of caps lock).

TTYL

2008\02\22@164419 by peter green

flavicon
face

> Not really. Remember, the switching function of a KVM is actually more
> complicated then just switching.
>
> Modern KVMs "trick" the connected PCs into thinking the keyboard and
> monitor are always connected, even when that machine isn't the one
> current selected.
>  
Thats not so important with USB though, you can force your monitors
(many KVM switches screw up monitor identification anyway in my
experiance) resoloution to be right on all of the machines and let usb's
hotplugging support deal with the switching of the keyboard and mouse.



2008\02\22@171128 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face

On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 21:43 +0000, peter green wrote:
> > Not really. Remember, the switching function of a KVM is actually more
> > complicated then just switching.
> >
> > Modern KVMs "trick" the connected PCs into thinking the keyboard and
> > monitor are always connected, even when that machine isn't the one
> > current selected.
> >  
> Thats not so important with USB though, you can force your monitors
> (many KVM switches screw up monitor identification anyway in my
> experiance) resoloution to be right on all of the machines and let usb's
> hotplugging support deal with the switching of the keyboard and mouse.

I disagree. A PC trying to boot without a keyboard or mouse attached is
most certainly problematic. This isn't restricted to just the BIOS, even
the OS can get "angry" if things aren't attached.

Also, without keyboard emulation you loose state information, having to
hit numlock every time you switch views can get very tiring...

TTYL

2008\02\25@170334 by John La Rooy

flavicon
face
I guess you have 2 monitors since you don't need the V.
Maybe synergy will help.
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

John La Rooy

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 4:58 AM, Martin <spam_OUTmartinTakeThisOuTspamnnytech.net> wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a USB KVM switch, minus the "V" ?
> must be USB, I'm going between a Mac (USB only) and PC.
>
> Thanks
> Martin
>
> -

2008\02\25@191358 by Gerhard Fiedler

picon face
John La Rooy wrote:

> I guess you have 2 monitors since you don't need the V.
> Maybe synergy will help.
> http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Can vouch for Synergy (only used on Windows though).

If you want to spend a few bucks and have a spare Windows license around,
MaxiVista is also nice <http://www.maxivista.com/multi_monitor.htm>.

Gerhard

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2008 , 2009 only
- Today
- New search...