Searching \ for '[OT] Totally OT' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=totally
Search entire site for: 'Totally OT'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Totally OT'
2011\04\22@221835 by V G

picon face
But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?

In every way possible

2011\04\22@224614 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face

> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>
> In every way possible?

No, more like the melding of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.


-- http://www.fastmail.fm - IMAP accessible web-mail

2011\04\22@232255 by YES NOPE9

flavicon
face

On Apr 22, 2011, at 8:46 PM, Bob Blick wrote:


> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>
> In every way possible?

No, more like the melding of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

More like the welding of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates

2011\04\23@093929 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
V G wrote:
> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>
> In every way possible?

OK, who is Sheldon Cooper, what is he supposed to have done?  And assuming
the reference is not meant to be flattering, what is this doing on the
PIClist?


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000

2011\04\23@094932 by jim

flavicon
face
Yes. But almost even more Sheldon Cooper than Sheldon Cooper

-----Original Message-----
From: spam_OUTpiclist-bouncesTakeThisOuTspammit.edu [.....piclist-bouncesKILLspamspam@spam@mit.edu] On Behalf Of
Olin Lathrop
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:40 AM
To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
Subject: Re: [OT] Totally OT

V G wrote:
> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>
> In every way possible?

OK, who is Sheldon Cooper, what is he supposed to have done?  And assuming
the reference is not meant to be flattering, what is this doing on the
PIClist?


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000

2011\04\23@095423 by RussellMc

face picon face
> V G wrote:
> > But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?

> > In every way possible?
>
> OK, who is Sheldon Cooper, what is he supposed to have done?  And assuming
> the reference is not meant to be flattering, what is this doing on the
> PIClist?

The fact that bob B replied in jest suggested to me that the
comparison was probably not too too bad.

I'd never heard of him.

Mr Gargoyle has

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper

Your response was dangerously close to being characteristic of how the
character would have responded.

I thought Bob Steve J /  Bill G comparison was a somewhat
complimentary one, those 'gentlemen's' rough spots notwithstanding.

__

Starter for 10:

Who, then, am I.
Trite comparisons unlikely to cut it.
Excessively trite liable to be moderated :-). (joking).

If this gets out of hand I'm suer Bob will let you know.




    Russell

2011\04\23@095835 by mcd

flavicon
face
Sorry, previous one for some reason lacked a subject.  Of course, the
subject is Totally OT so maybe that doesn't make a difference!

Olin Lathrop wrote:

> OK, who is Sheldon Cooper, what is he supposed to have done?

I had the same question, but I took the sound advice of the esteemed Olin
Lathrop and checked the datasheet.  In this case, of course, the datasheet
is the Google.

--McD

2011\04\23@133443 by William \Chops\ Westfield

face picon face
> doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?

In fact, no...  Sheldon would assume that you're an idiot incapable of  ever reaching his level of understanding, while Olin assumes that you  can be taught.

BillW

2011\04\23@141958 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
> > But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
> >
> > In every way possible?
>
> OK, who is Sheldon Cooper, what is he supposed to have done?  And
> assuming
> the reference is not meant to be flattering, what is this doing on the
> PIClist?

I'll borrow Russell's phrase for a moment:
Admin hat on!

It's different when a group of close friends is chatting amiably and
comparisons are made, although it still can be taken badly, even if
well-intended.

But Solarwind and Olin are not close friends, so what Solarwind said was
highly inappropriate.

Please don't make personal comments about Piclist members, except ones
that are obvious to all parties as glowingly positive.

Admin hat off!

Best regards,

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

2011\04\23@160909 by John Ferrell

face
flavicon
face
On 4/22/2011 10:18 PM, V G wrote:
> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>
> In every way possible?
I will take sides immediately!
I like Sheldon and should you chose to abuse him, I will consider you fair game!

I wish he was here now. I bet he could solve this disk problem.

--
John Ferrell W8CCW

"In order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life to doubt, as far as possible, of all things."
— René Descartes

2011\04\23@170039 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Bob Blick <bobblickspamKILLspamftml.net> wrote:

>  I'll borrow Russell's phrase for a moment:
> Admin hat on!
>
> It's different when a group of close friends is chatting amiably and
> comparisons are made, although it still can be taken badly, even if
> well-intended.
>
> But Solarwind and Olin are not close friends, so what Solarwind said was
> highly inappropriate.
>
> Please don't make personal comments about Piclist members, except ones
> that are obvious to all parties as glowingly positive.
>
> Admin hat off!
>
>
Oh come on! I'm sure he doesn't mind

2011\04\23@170114 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM, V G <.....x.solarwind.xKILLspamspam.....gmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

Besides, it wasn't even really an insult. It's just a joke

2011\04\23@170153 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM, William "Chops" Westfield
<westfwspamspam_OUTmac.com>wrote:

> In fact, no...  Sheldon would assume that you're an idiot incapable of
> ever reaching his level of understanding
>

Did he ever actually say that

2011\04\23@180122 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:00 -0400, "V G" <@spam@x.solarwind.xKILLspamspamgmail.com> wrote:

> Besides, it wasn't even really an insult. It's just a joke!

This is important: One jokes with one's friends. He's not your friend.


Plus, there is very little shared context between you, so if he doesn't
know what you are talking about, he doesn't get the joke. It's like if I
said you remind me of Bernard Chanticleer. Which you don't, but I expect
you get my meaning. You can't assume people know all of Francis Ford
Coppola's work.

On the other hand, if you want to offend him, telling jokes about him in
public in front of him is an easy way to do it. So perhaps that is your
intent. Either way, don't do it on the Piclist.

Thanks,

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                         unladen european swallow

2011\04\23@190617 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Bob Blick <KILLspambobblickKILLspamspamftml.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:00 -0400, "V G" <RemoveMEx.solarwind.xTakeThisOuTspamgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Besides, it wasn't even really an insult. It's just a joke!
>
> This is important: One jokes with one's friends. He's not your friend.
>
>
I joke with everybody. And he is my friend!



> On the other hand, if you want to offend him, telling jokes about him in
> public in front of him is an easy way to do it. So perhaps that is your
> intent. Either way, don't do it on the Piclist.
>

You can't be serious. This is hardly offensive. There are many other things
that go on here that are far more offensive

2011\04\23@200012 by Sergey Dryga

flavicon
face
V G <x.solarwind.x <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You can't be serious. This is hardly offensive. There are many other things
> that go on here that are far more offensive.


Man, you are thick!  Several people tell you not to do this and explain politely why.  Appropriate action would be: "Sorry, I did not mean an offense. Olin helped me a lot and I got a bit carried away.  Sorry and I appreciate all
the help!"

At the very least, show some respect to a person who is way more experienced
than you are, he earned it.  <rant on> Unfortunately, you remind me of several
students/fresh undergrads I had in my lab who think they know everything and
truly believe that everybody have to do everything to make their life and work
enjoyable etc.etc.  Very often, people who continue to think and act so, do not
survive long in the workplace.<rant off>  I do not mean this as an offense to
you as well, in my view it's a learning experience.
Best regards,

Sergey Dryga
http://beaglerobotics.com

2011\04\23@200232 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:06 -0400, "V G" <
> I joke with everybody. And he is my friend!

I phrased it backward. You are not his friend.

> You can't be serious. This is hardly offensive. There are many other
> things
> that go on here that are far more offensive.

I'm obviously not able to explain it to you, so just treat it as one of
those social rules that don't make sense to you but nonetheless must be
obeyed.

Thanks,

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be

2011\04\23@201457 by V G

picon face
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Bob Blick <spamBeGonebobblickspamBeGonespamftml.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:06 -0400, "V G" <
> > I joke with everybody. And he is my friend!
>
> I phrased it backward. You are not his friend.
>

Well, that's rather unfortunate.

But what's friends got to do with any of this anyway

2011\04\23@210042 by RussellMc

face picon face
> But what's friends got to do with any of this anyway?

Inifinite regress, and/or reading what the admin told you a few posts
back is necessary / a good idea / good form.
ie Bob explained how  friendship affected what may usually safely be
said, or not.

Most interesting out of this exchange, to me, is the comments twixt
you and Bob of your relationship with Olin.
That you would state simply (even if perhaps simplistically) that Olin
is your friend is highly encouraging to me.
Bob MAY be right that you are not Olin's friend (quite yet), but your
open statement that he is yours AND your subsequent response that it
is rather unfortunate that Bob says Olin is not your friend, should go
a reasonable way towards redressing that problem in future. Well done.
I hardly expect Olin to leap up and embrace you as a brother in arms,
and overlook henceforth all the rough edges that he yet wants to knock
off you, but if he's got the heart (albeit oft somewhat hidden) that I
think he has you should have taken a significant step closer to that
halcyon state.

For perspective:
Olin is my friend.
Whether I am his friend probably varies somewhat by day and current
circumstance :-).


         Russel

2011\04\24@024003 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
I have noticed that nowadays people cannot make difference in between acquaintances and friends, and even nodding acquaintances are called as friends. Anyways, you can loose a friend very easily if you make inappropriate comments on him/her, especially if you do that in front of everybody.
Tamas

Sent from my iPhone

On 24 Apr 2011, at 02:14, V G <TakeThisOuTx.solarwind.xEraseMEspamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> -

2011\04\24@030113 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Tamas Rudnai <tamas.rudnaiEraseMEspam.....gmail.com>wrote:

> I have noticed that nowadays people cannot make difference in between
> acquaintances and friends, and even nodding acquaintances are called as
> friends. Anyways, you can loose a friend very easily if you make
> inappropriate comments on him/her, especially if you do that in front of
> everybody.
>
> Tamas
>

Never had that happen to me.

But funny you should point that out.

I've also noticed that nowadays people are too full of themselves (not
saying anyone in particular, but just the general public) and can't take a
very light hearted joke. It's as if they've got something so god damn
precious to protect, and should it ever be touched, their whole life's
meaning is ruined. I really don't understand what everyone is trying to
protect so much. Their public image? Their "dignity"? OH MY GOD HE MADE FUN
OF MY HAIR. MY WHOLE LIFE IS RUINED. If their dignity can be taken away by
comparison to a TV show character (which I most certainly don't think Olin's
can), I think there would then be far more serious matters to discuss first..

I once lightly punched my biology professor in the arm once and made some
joke about her regarding her sexual orientation that I couldn't remember. We
went out for beer after and I ended up with an A+. I really don't see the
problem.

It's funny that everyone ELSE is overreacting to this as if I had committed
a serious crime, but Olin has barely reacted. He's the one that should be
the MOST offended out of everyone (everyone else shouldn't even react and
should get on with their lives), but as I see it, he's the coolest with it.

Also, note that way I say MOST offended, I mean should barely be offended at
all. I've not made any offensive comment.

Anyway, why is it a BAD thing if even "nodding acquaintances" are called
friends? I don't think "adults" should take serious offense to something as
light hearted as this. This is receiving way too much attention than it
should

2011\04\24@030632 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM, V G <EraseMEx.solarwind.xspamgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

It's the same situation with most of the doctors and professors I work with..
They think they're so much better than everyone else and they should be
automatically respected because of their academic status. The whole thing is
disgusting. Someone kill me if I ever become like that.

My philosophy is that doesn't matter how old or young or how knowledgeable
you are or not. We're all just animals sharing this planet for a *very*
short time. We're all on the same boat, man.

When I'm lying in my death bed, if someone made a comparison between me and
some (actually very well loved) TV show character some time back, would I
really be thinking about it? Hell no.

So at the end of the day, I don't know why this is such a big deal..

2011\04\24@031423 by C H

picon face
YES NOPE9 wrote:
> Bob Blick wrote:
>
>> But doesn't Olin remind you of Sheldon Cooper?
>>
>> In every way possible?
>
> No, more like the melding of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.
>
> More like the welding of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.
> --

Good Will Hunting

2011\04\24@034747 by RussellMc

face picon face
By implicit invitation :-) :


Without carefully thinking about the fine points, SolarWind comes
close enough to Calvin for a working model, no?

I'd do a rough approximation to Hobbes (the striped version) but not
enough for it to be a good model.


                    Russel

2011\04\24@035346 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:47 AM, RussellMc <RemoveMEapptechnzspam_OUTspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:

> Without carefully thinking about the fine points, SolarWind comes
> close enough to Calvin for a working model, no?
>
> I'd do a rough approximation to Hobbes (the striped version) but not
> enough for it to be a good model.
>

Ahahaha! That's actually pretty awesome!

Calvin makes some pretty profound and insightful comments about the nature
of life. I only wish I had his intellect

2011\04\24@041047 by cdb

flavicon
face


:: I have noticed that nowadays people cannot make difference in
:: between acquaintances and friends, and even nodding acquaintances
:: are called as friends.

I have to say Tamas, I agree with your point.
It irks me when the term friend is used loosely. Many people I feel, get the adjective confused with the noun much like getting ensure confused with insure.

So being friendly towards or to someone, is not the same as being an actual personal friend. We diminish the meaning by being lazy, much like carelessly using a little four letter word beginning with 'l' with abandon (Well, it'd be 'A' in latin languages and is 'E' in some germanic ones.

<lecture mode off> :)

Of course some people who 'know' me would quake at my apparent hypocrisy in the use of the word.


Colin


--
cdb, RemoveMEcolinTakeThisOuTspamspambtech-online.co.uk on 24/04/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 

2011\04\24@042312 by RussellMc

face picon face
Given

> :: I have noticed that nowadays people cannot make difference in
> :: between acquaintances and friends, and even nodding acquaintances
> :: are called as friends.

> I have to say Tamas, I agree with your point.

I'd expect you to strongly disagree with

>  Anyways, you can loose a friend very easily if you make inappropriate comments on him/her, especially if you do that in front of everybody.

You can easily lose an acquaintance that way.
Friends are made of srener stuff.

Also cf   "Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an
enemy are deceitful."
(Proverbs 27:6).
ie having a friend beat you up at least metaphorically or verbally,
and or willing to do so when required, is a valuable resource, and not
overly easily come by.


             Russell
..




{Quote hidden}

>

2011\04\24@044043 by cdb

flavicon
face


:: I'd expect you to strongly disagree with...

Correct!

:: Friends are made of srener stuff.

Yes, hopefully.

Quotation noted.

Colin
--
cdb, RemoveMEcolinKILLspamspambtech-online.co.uk on 24/04/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 

2011\04\24@045542 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM, cdb <colinSTOPspamspamspam_OUTbtech-online.co.uk> wrote:

>
>
> :: I have noticed that nowadays people cannot make difference in
> :: between acquaintances and friends, and even nodding acquaintances
> :: are called as friends.
>
> I have to say Tamas, I agree with your point.
>
> It irks me when the term friend is used loosely. Many people I feel, get
> the adjective confused with the noun much like getting ensure confused with
> insure.
>

That doesn't make any sense. All friendships start that way. I've never
asked anyone "Hey, you wanna be friends?" It just happens. It has to start
somewhere, so what's wrong with assuming it to be now?

I consider Olin a friend. If he needed a place to say, I'd let him stay at
my apartment. If he was short on dough, I'd lend him whatever I had to help
him get back on his feet. If I had to take a hit to get him out of deep
shit, I'd do it. Just like I would with my other friends. Really.

I can't say I'd do these things for just anyone.

Of course I've never *seen* him with my own eyes before, but from the text
based relationship that we have, I'd like to think I know what kind of a
person he is, and can infer a great deal of other things from this
interaction.

You don't have to fight a war together to be someone's friend

2011\04\24@092223 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
V G wrote:
> It's funny that everyone ELSE is overreacting to this as if I had
> committed a serious crime, but Olin has barely reacted. He's the one
> that should be the MOST offended out of everyone (everyone else
> shouldn't even react and should get on with their lives), but as I
> see it, he's the coolest with it.

OK, I think we've spent enough bandwidth on this.

I had never heard of Brendon Cooper before your post, having never watched
the TV show in question.  I was vaguely aware of the show, but still have
little understanding of the character Brendon Cooper and the dynamics of the
show.  That's OK, no need to jump in and try to explain since it doesn't
matter anyway and I really don't care.

When I saw your post, I assumed it was a childish dig.  I still don't
understand what I and others were supposed to think, but again, that doesn't
matter.  I do think it was inappropriate for the PIClist, but because it was
so pointless, not because I might get "offended", whatever that really
means.  Some twirp at the other end of the internet making vague character
references is a non-event in the scheme of things.  My reaction was mild
amusement together with the thought "what a -----".  Others will take
whatever statement you were trying to make as really being about you, not
me, anyway.  Nobody is going to think differently of me because someone else
makes a vague character reference.

> I've also noticed that nowadays people are too full of themselves (not
> saying anyone in particular, but just the general public) and can't
> take a very light hearted joke.

That's a valid point only if the other person understands it to be a light
hearted joke too.  As Bob pointed out, jokes require implied context, and
the less context you have in common with someone, the higher the chance they
will not understand the joke as intended.

> Anyway, why is it a BAD thing if even "nodding acquaintances" are
> called friends?

They are two different terms that have quite different meanings, at least
when/where I grew up.  This is actually one of several reasons I'm not
likely to ever be on facebook.  As I understand it (perhaps wrongly, from
heresay only), the system uses the word "friend" to describe someone you
link to, or at least at some linking level.  While I might be willing to
link to and give certain priveledges to some set of people, I would find it
embarrasing and pretentious to clame many of them my "friends".  No thanks,
facebook.


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000

2011\04\24@093919 by jim

flavicon
face
Sheldon Cooper. Not Brendon Cooper


-----Original Message-----
From: spamBeGonepiclist-bouncesSTOPspamspamEraseMEmit.edu [KILLspampiclist-bouncesspamBeGonespammit.edu] On Behalf Of
Olin Lathrop
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:23 AM
To: Microcontroller discussion list - Public.
Subject: Re: [OT] Totally OT

V G wrote:
> It's funny that everyone ELSE is overreacting to this as if I had
> committed a serious crime, but Olin has barely reacted. He's the one
> that should be the MOST offended out of everyone (everyone else
> shouldn't even react and should get on with their lives), but as I
> see it, he's the coolest with it.

OK, I think we've spent enough bandwidth on this.

I had never heard of Brendon Cooper before your post, having never watched
the TV show in question.  I was vaguely aware of the show, but still have
little understanding of the character Brendon Cooper and the dynamics of the
show.  That's OK, no need to jump in and try to explain since it doesn't
matter anyway and I really don't care.

When I saw your post, I assumed it was a childish dig.  I still don't
understand what I and others were supposed to think, but again, that doesn't
matter.  I do think it was inappropriate for the PIClist, but because it was
so pointless, not because I might get "offended", whatever that really
means.  Some twirp at the other end of the internet making vague character
references is a non-event in the scheme of things.  My reaction was mild
amusement together with the thought "what a -----".  Others will take
whatever statement you were trying to make as really being about you, not
me, anyway.  Nobody is going to think differently of me because someone else
makes a vague character reference.

> I've also noticed that nowadays people are too full of themselves (not
> saying anyone in particular, but just the general public) and can't
> take a very light hearted joke.

That's a valid point only if the other person understands it to be a light
hearted joke too.  As Bob pointed out, jokes require implied context, and
the less context you have in common with someone, the higher the chance they
will not understand the joke as intended.

> Anyway, why is it a BAD thing if even "nodding acquaintances" are
> called friends?

They are two different terms that have quite different meanings, at least
when/where I grew up.  This is actually one of several reasons I'm not
likely to ever be on facebook.  As I understand it (perhaps wrongly, from
heresay only), the system uses the word "friend" to describe someone you
link to, or at least at some linking level.  While I might be willing to
link to and give certain priveledges to some set of people, I would find it
embarrasing and pretentious to clame many of them my "friends".  No thanks,
facebook.


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000

2011\04\24@094003 by V G

picon face
On Sunday, April 24, 2011, Olin Lathrop <EraseMEolin_piclistspamEraseMEembedinc.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

2011\04\24@100905 by Roger, in Bangkok

face
flavicon
face
Not in the least ...
:-)

RiB

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 20:40, V G <@spam@x.solarwind.x@spam@spamspam_OUTgmail.com> wrote:

{Quote hidden}

> > --

2011\04\24@103707 by Oli Glaser

flavicon
face
On 24/04/2011 14:40, V G wrote:
> That's really, really depressing man.

This is all a bit depressing.

For some reason, this comes to mind:
If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear
to man as it is, infinite.
For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow
chinks of his cavern.

2011\04\24@133726 by Philip Pemberton

face
flavicon
face
On 24/04/11 01:02, Bob Blick wrote:
> I'm obviously not able to explain it to you, so just treat it as one of
> those social rules that don't make sense to you but nonetheless must be
> obeyed.

Solarwind -- "It's a non-optional social convention."

-- Phil.
.....piclistspam_OUTspamphilpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk

2011\04\24@160222 by Al Shinn

picon face
Somehow this reminds me of a party I was at. A woman was sorta pouting about a perceived insult from a gent. Having gotten to know both folks a little bit through drinking and singing etc I was suspicious of a misunderstanding so I inquired. The woman (not particularly scholarly in aspect) said that the gent had called her Broomhilda (a short, fat, ugly, warty comic book witch) Having conversed a bit with the gent through the evening, I was pretty sure that he was way to scholarly to have ever even HEARD of Broomhilda. As I suspected, he had compared her to Brunhilda - a  Valkyrie, of Norse Mythology, practically a Goddess.



Looking forward,
Al Shin

2011\04\24@191949 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Al Shinn <TakeThisOuTalshinn.....spamTakeThisOuTmindspring.com> wrote:

> Somehow this reminds me of a party I was at.
> A woman was sorta pouting about a perceived insult from a gent. Having
> gotten to know both folks a little bit through drinking and singing etc I
> was suspicious of a misunderstanding so I inquired. The woman (not
> particularly scholarly in aspect) said that the gent had called her
> Broomhilda (a short, fat, ugly, warty comic book witch) Having conversed a
> bit with the gent through the evening, I was pretty sure that he was way to
> scholarly to have ever even HEARD of Broomhilda. As I suspected, he had
> compared her to Brunhilda - a  Valkyrie, of Norse Mythology, practically a
> Goddess.
>

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAH

2011\04\24@192047 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Philip Pemberton <TakeThisOuTpiclistKILLspamspamspamphilpem.me.uk>wrote:

>  Solarwind -- "It's a non-optional social convention."
>
>
There is no such thing

2011\04\24@193207 by Philip Pemberton

face
flavicon
face
On 25/04/11 00:20, V G wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Philip Pemberton<.....piclistspamRemoveMEphilpem.me.uk>wrote:
>
>>   Solarwind -- "It's a non-optional social convention."
> There is no such thing.

Somehow I get the impression you don't actually watch The Big Bang Theory... or at the very least you haven't seen "The Peanut Reaction" (season 1, episode 16).

-- Phil.
RemoveMEpiclistspamspamBeGonephilpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk

2011\04\24@193945 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Philip Pemberton <spamBeGonepiclist@spam@spamspam_OUTphilpem.me.uk>wrote:

> Somehow I get the impression you don't actually watch The Big Bang
> Theory... or at the very least you haven't seen "The Peanut Reaction"
> (season 1, episode 16).
>
>
I've seen every single episode, and that one in particular, a long time ago,
so I don't remember

2011\04\24@195945 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:20 -0400, "V G" wrote:
> >  Solarwind -- "It's a non-optional social convention."
> >
> >
> There is no such thing.

That's BS. You know what will happen should you do the same thing again.

Speaking of actions you should not repeat, last week there was some talk
of warez by you. That's something you'd previously been asked to take
elsewhere, so you already had your warning and are technically beyond
the limit. Please take a couple of deep breaths and look at the big
picture.

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

2011\04\24@200740 by RussellMc

face picon face
My friend Olin is in fine fettle this Easter time.

>> > .... Others will take
>> > whatever statement you were trying to make as really being about you, not
>> > me, anyway.  Nobody is going to think differently of me because someone
>> else makes a vague character reference.

That's largely true, to any extent that's important.
Such references may serve as catalysts to thought, but largely we
supply our own  material for others to evaluate us from - such as you
provide for us here.
I'm surprised but not surprised, alas, that you seek find and combine
so many minor put downs and digs in one concentrated passage, in
response to the OPs comments on his thoughts and motivations.
It may not make people "think differently", but it may, alas, help
them to continue to think the same.

>> >> Anyway, why is it a BAD thing if even "nodding acquaintances" are
>> >> called friends?

>> > ... facebook.  ...
>> > ... embarrasing and pretentious to clame many of them my "friends".  No
>> thanks, facebook.

Your safe enough with their terminology. "Facebook friend" can be
taken as a single concept and, in the absence of other qualifications
is in the same class as "military intelligence" or "exceptionally
fatal".
You'd do well enough as a "facebook friend" :-) [[Context: That's a
weak joke ]].


                  Russell

2011\04\24@201358 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Bob Blick <TakeThisOuTbobblickspamspamftml.net> wrote:

>  That's BS. You know what will happen should you do the same thing again.
>

Define "thing".


> Speaking of actions you should not repeat, last week there was some talk
> of warez by you.
>

You are mistaken. I did not talk about warez. I linked to an EE forum. By
your definition, all google links are to be treated as warez, because they
link to sites that have cracked software. The forum that I linked to does
not contain any copyrighted material

2011\04\24@203504 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:13 -0400, "V G" <x.solarwind.xEraseMEspamgmail.com> wrote:

> Define "thing".

Make an insulting joke about a Piclist member.
-1 for not retracting it when he objected to it.


> You are mistaken. I did not talk about warez.

When challenged on it you suggested it was something good mothers teach
their children.

Good mothers suggest taking a couple of deep breaths and think of the
big picture.

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

2011\04\24@203847 by RussellMc

face picon face
>> That's really, really depressing man.

> This is all a bit depressing.

Surprisingly, perhaps,  Adam Smith comes to the rescue:

   "Man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren,
    and it is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only."

> For some reason, this comes to mind:

> If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear
> to man as it is, infinite.
> For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow
> chinks of his cavern.

You're not suggesting that Olin is explained by Mescalin, are you ???*

Agh. Too much. work calls.
William Blake. "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marriage_of_Heaven_and_Hell
Some good stuff in that small work, despite Blake's rather unusual perspectives.
Ctrl-A (select all) to make readable:
www.nyu.edu/classes/keefer/hell/blake.html
Better elsewhere no doubt.

"Tyger tyger, ...". Amazing.
How did he manage it all.

FWIW, the title is a parody of sorts on Swedenborg's work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_and_Hell_(Swedenborg)

Often better known through its use as a title for Huxley's Mescalin
experiment account.
   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors_of_Perception
Some good comment and references on that page.



R

*
>> > > >>> >>>  ... jokes require implied context ...

Context:

Attempt at weak joke based on Huxley's use of Blake's words for the
title of his Mescalin account

2011\04\24@211707 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Bob Blick <RemoveMEbobblickEraseMEspamspam_OUTftml.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:13 -0400, "V G" <@spam@x.solarwind.xRemoveMEspamEraseMEgmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Define "thing".
>
> Make an insulting joke about a Piclist member.
>

That is most incorrect. The joke was not insulting. Merely a scientific
comparison between two entities.


>
> -1 for not retracting it when he objected to it.
>

He did not object to it.


>
> > You are mistaken. I did not talk about warez.
>
> When challenged on it you suggested it was something good mothers teach
> their children.
>

I was referring to the sharing of information.


> Good mothers suggest taking a couple of deep breaths and think of the
> big picture.
>

I always think of the big picture. Perhaps bigger than the picture really is
sometimes

2011\04\24@213238 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
That's rich. There's a saying that goes "when you find yourself in a
hole, stop digging".

Bob

{Quote hidden}

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

2011\04\24@213752 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Bob Blick <EraseMEbobblickspam@spam@ftml.net> wrote:

> That's rich. There's a saying that goes "when you find yourself in a
> hole, stop digging".
>
>
Why would you do that? The treasure is only meters away

2011\04\24@220706 by Philip Pemberton

face
flavicon
face
On 25/04/11 02:37, V G wrote:
> Why would you do that? The treasure is only meters away.

I'm done with this.

Killfile... plonk!

-- Phil.
@spam@piclistspam_OUTspam.....philpem.me.uk
http://www.philpem.me.uk

2011\04\24@221139 by cdb

flavicon
face


::::::   Solarwind -- "It's a non-optional social convention."

With my weird wit, I'd have gone for a play on word usage and had 'social convection' or maybe 'social confection', too sweet perhaps?

Now Big Bang Theory, rings a bell, but then so does Prof Heinz Wolff, was that one of his?

The Great Egg Race, now there is a series I'd like to see again.
Colin
--
cdb, spamBeGonecolinEraseMEspambtech-online.co.uk on 25/04/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 

2011\04\24@221206 by V G

picon face
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Philip Pemberton <piclistspamBeGonespamphilpem.me.uk>wrote:

> On 25/04/11 02:37, V G wrote:
> > Why would you do that? The treasure is only meters away.
>
> I'm done with this.
>
> Killfile... plonk!
>
>
Oh man! Never a dull moment here. I love you guys

2011\04\24@235127 by Oli Glaser

flavicon
face
On 25/04/2011 01:38, RussellMc wrote:
>> This is all a bit depressing.
> Surprisingly, perhaps,  Adam Smith comes to the rescue:
>
>      "Man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren,
>       and it is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only."

Well that brings us firmly down to earth again :-)
A good place to be.

>> For some reason, this comes to mind:
>> If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear
>> to man as it is, infinite.
>> For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow
>> chinks of his cavern.
> You're not suggesting that Olin is explained by Mescalin, are you ???*

I thought I'd leave a little to the imagination.. :-)
The quote seemed relevant as it alone provokes many thoughts and  images for me, even without the connections to Huxley et al, though I had these, and his experience firmly in mind.


{Quote hidden}

Not sure, but I'm extremely glad that he did manage it..

{Quote hidden}

2011\04\25@195008 by Vitaliy

face
flavicon
face
RussellMc wrote:
> Surprisingly, perhaps,  Adam Smith comes to the rescue:
>
>    "Man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren,
>     and it is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only."
>
Vitaliy likes your comment.

2011\04\25@204002 by RussellMc

face picon face
>> Surprisingly, perhaps,  Adam Smith comes to the rescue:
>>
>>    "Man has almost constant occasion for the help of his brethren,
>>     and it is in vain for him to expect it from their benevolence only."

> Vitaliy likes your comment.

:-)

1. Take care (to try) not to wander into troublesome areas in any
following discussions  :-)

2. Understand what Smith is saying here AND elsewhere.

- What individual people are trying to do or gain or achieve may not
intended to be good for you or good for society.
- If it happens to be so it is usually outside their intentions.
- Look to gain from the actions of others even when they don't intend
what they do to be to your benefit.

Most apposite in this thread, where VG extended an offer of genuine
friendship* to Olin on several occasions and Olin effectively called
him very rude names, said rude things about him (we all understand
"twerp" and most people don't have too much problem filling in the
dashes after a in "a---") and essentially sought to trash him while
spurning the offers. Olin would typically  argue that he was
attempting to harden him up, help  him to get a proper perspective of
wet fish and properly understand phases of the moon. Or something. VG
had and has the choice of taking such input destructively or of using
it to build character, even if not quite in the manner intended by the
aid donor. To his great credit he appeared to have taken the positive
path and to have been extremely resilient in the face of persistent
battering (annoyingly so in fact :-) ). Mr Smith would have been proud
of him.That doesn't make the aid donor's offerings meritorious in any
way, necessarily. The merit lies with the one who uses them to
advantage. Mr Smith shows himself wholly aware of this in his above
statement ( " ... it is vain for him to expect ... ") and in much
else. Most people seem to miss this. [[Even Bob could probably come to
like Mr Smith just a wee wee bit if what he really said was more often
promulgated, rather than what people persistently want him to have
said.]]



            Russell

2011\04\26@080408 by Olin Lathrop

face picon face
RussellMc wrote:
> Most apposite in this thread, where VG extended an offer of genuine
> friendship* to Olin on several occasions and Olin effectively called
> him very rude names,

Wow, you're really overinterpreting this.  VG started out likening me to
some fictitional character.  Given his past history of getting upset at me
and his numerous example of expressing displeasure at what I said, and the
fact I had no idea what this character's traits are, I (I think reasonably
enough) took his comment to be derrogatory.  I said this clearly enough in
my second message on this thread, but you seem to have conveniently
forgotten direct evidence in favor of speculation.

I wasn't going to get into a pissing match, and besides there is really no
reason to get upset when people insult you, so all I did was ask who the
character was and a gentle reminder that such mud slinging is frowned upon
on the PIClist.  I didn't want the admins coming down on VG.  It's really
not a big deal, but I know you guys sometimes take these things rather
seriously.  I knew that general peer pressure would correct things quickly
enough.  The court of public opinion is much more useful (and powerful) than
admin edicts.

I deliberately stayed out of the thread after that, until I saw things being
said in my name that were getting out of hand.  Like I said, I found the
whole thing mildly amusing and I didn't want any action being taken on my
behalf.  It didn't help that VG was making things worse on his own, with his
usual refusal to accept explanations from others with more experience and
knowledge, whether that be about electronics or life.

> said rude things about him (we all understand
> "twerp" and most people don't have too much problem filling in the
> dashes after a in "a---") and essentially sought to trash him while
> spurning the offers.

You're being a lot worse than VG, in that you're twisting my words around
instead of taking them for what they actually say.  If you read that post
carefully you will see I was describing my thought process, not claminig his
mother wears army boots or whatever.

As for "offers", I saw no such thing.  As I said before, it's still not
clear to me at all what was intended by the comparison to the fictional
character.  I have meanwhile learned he is one of the main characters of a
TV show called "Big Bang Theory" or something like that, but since I've
never seen the show I have little understanding of what a reference to that
character is supposed to mean.  I saw VG later state it was meant as a
friendly jest.  Maybe, or possibly that was a quick retreat to avoid admin
retribution.  Again, I would really hate to see any such retribution.

> Olin would typically  argue that he was
> attempting to harden him up,

Not at all.  I was merely explaining my thought process as I read the
original post.

Frankly Russell, your post is a lot more annoying that VG's.  His I could
look at and be a little amused.  Yours I felt I had to spend time responding
to just to defend myself.


********************************************************************
Embed Inc, Littleton Massachusetts, http://www.embedinc.com/products
(978) 742-9014.  Gold level PIC consultants since 2000

2011\04\26@172920 by V G

picon face
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Olin Lathrop <RemoveMEolin_piclist@spam@spamspamBeGoneembedinc.com>wrote:

>  Wow, you're really overinterpreting this.  VG started out likening me to
> some fictitional character.  Given his past history of getting upset at me
> and his numerous example of expressing displeasure at what I said, and the
> fact I had no idea what this character's traits are, I (I think reasonably
> enough) took his comment to be derrogatory.  I said this clearly enough in
> my second message on this thread, but you seem to have conveniently
> forgotten direct evidence in favor of speculation.
>

You could have easily googled it. I'm not the only one who has "expressed
displeasure" at your comments. Please note.


{Quote hidden}

It's impossible to have any knowledge on "life". No one has any more or less
knowledge on "life" than anyone else. It wouldn't make sense to blindly
accept the words of others, especially regarding abstract concepts like
life. Your comment also assumes that certain others have "more"
knowledge/experience than me. You would not be able to know nor prove that.
Electronics, sure, but life, no.


> You're being a lot worse than VG, in that you're twisting my words around
> instead of taking them for what they actually say.  If you read that post
> carefully you will see I was describing my thought process, not claminig
> his
> mother wears army boots or whatever.
>

I am not offended, but one can read between the lines, Olin.


> As for "offers", I saw no such thing.  As I said before, it's still not
> clear to me at all what was intended by the comparison to the fictional
> character.  I have meanwhile learned he is one of the main characters of a
> TV show called "Big Bang Theory" or something like that, but since I've
> never seen the show I have little understanding of what a reference to that
> character is supposed to mean.


Google generally helps.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=sheldon+cooper&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

yields: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper#Personality



> I saw VG later state it was meant as a
> friendly jest.  Maybe, or possibly that was a quick retreat to avoid admin
> retribution.  Again, I would really hate to see any such retribution.
>

It was not. It was truly just a friendly jest.


> Frankly Russell, your post is a lot more annoying that VG's.  His I could
> look at and be a little amused.  Yours I felt I had to spend time
> responding
> to just to defend myself.
>

Why would you feel that? No one was attacking you

2011\04\27@030546 by cdb

flavicon
face
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:29:05 -0400, V G wrote:
:: It's impossible to have any knowledge on "life". No one has any
:: more or less
:: knowledge on "life" than anyone else

Sorry Solar Wind,

The sad fact is your assertion isn't correct. Unfortunately you'll have to wait 20 or 30 years to suddenly find that you have 'discovered' the same things which you don't believe.

I would guess many of us can recall our teenage/  twenties, when we thought the same as you, or at least along similar lines. Now sadly I find myself saying the exact things my father said and some of his thoughts, after vowing at 16 mever never, ever would I say or think such things.

Ones views change over time as life experiences dictate.  especially on how to handle and approach people. Of course knowing and putting into practice are two different things.

Colin
--
cdb, .....colin@spam@spamEraseMEbtech-online.co.uk on 27/04/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe,
no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

2011\04\27@042703 by V G

picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:05 AM, cdb <.....colinRemoveMEspambtech-online.co.uk> wrote:

> Sorry Solar Wind,
>
> The sad fact is your assertion isn't correct. Unfortunately you'll have to
> wait 20 or 30 years to suddenly find that you have 'discovered' the same
> things which you don't believe.
>

Well, if it is sad facts that is to be discussed, neither is your assertion..
Then again, neither is anyone's. There are no "facts" in life. Nothing
anyone here nor anywhere says is correct about "life". It's too abstract a
concept and can not be quantified. No one even knows what "life" is. Not
with the technology* we have at the moment anyway.

But here's the thing. I know myself and my mind better than anyone in the
world. So for me, my rules apply and no one else can tell me otherwise. To
date, I have been the most accurate predictor to my future out of anyone I
know. And I, and only I, will continue to be.



>
> I would guess many of us can recall our teenage/  twenties, when we thought
> the same as you, or at least along similar lines. Now sadly I find myself
> saying the exact things my father said and some of his thoughts, after
> vowing at 16 mever never, ever would I say or think such things.
>

Well I guess then what you say applies only to the timeline of your
perception. Not mine, and not a single other person's. All these little
"rules" and "tricks" for life people come up with are based only on "maybe
if I did this differently earlier on, I would have ended up better". But you
see, there's the problem. It only applies to their infinitesimally specific
situation. Nobody else's.


>
> Ones views change over time as life experiences dictate.  especially on how
> to handle and approach people. Of course knowing and putting into practice
> are two different things.
>
> Colin
>

True, views change, but let us not ignore the possibility that as time
progresses, so do situations. There are far too many variables to create a
generalization

2011\04\27@045649 by Joe P. Farr

flavicon
face
> There are no "facts" in life...

You live... you die... those are facts.
The only real variable is the length of time between the two events.



{Original Message removed}

2011\04\27@050634 by V G

picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Joe P. Farr <.....joe.farrSTOPspamspam@spam@kcsl.uk.com> wrote:

> > There are no "facts" in life...
>
> You live... you die... those are facts.
> The only real variable is the length of time between the two events.
>

Notice the function domain "in".

Edge behavior tends to be chaotic* and is unaccounted for

2011\04\27@052032 by IVP

face picon face
> There are no "facts" in life. Nothing anyone here nor anywhere
> says is correct about "life"

There are plenty of "facts". What about cause and effect for
example

2011\04\27@060515 by V G

picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:54 AM, IVP <joecolquittEraseMEspam@spam@clear.net.nz> wrote:

>  There are plenty of "facts". What about cause and effect for
> example ?
>

What specifically? The concept "cause and effect" is too vague

2011\04\27@061827 by cdb

flavicon
face
SW, it is apparent that you are not going to be convinced that whilst we all perceive things slightly differently, in the round experience in life does count for something. IOW there is nothing new under the sun in human behaviour or thought patterns.
Many of us can now sit back safe in the knowledge that at some point in your life (assuming you live to your 30's plus, more so your 40's) you will find yourself coming to the same conclusions that we have spoken of here.

Of course if you were correct, you have just put out of work many psychobabalists, behavioural thingos and sociologists, maybe even some philosphers, Alain de Botton would have to stop writing books.

Colin --
cdb, RemoveMEcolinspamspamBeGonebtech-online.co.uk on 27/04/2011
Web presence: http://www.btech-online.co.uk   Hosted by:  http://www.justhost.com.au
 "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe,
no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

2011\04\27@063847 by V G

picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 6:18 AM, cdb <spamBeGonecolinKILLspamspam@spam@btech-online.co.uk> wrote:

> SW, it is apparent that you are not going to be convinced that whilst we
> all perceive things slightly differently, in the round experience in life
> does count for something. IOW there is nothing new under the sun in human
> behaviour or thought patterns.
>

That is correct, nothing that is too different. However, not every genetic
combination for a human* has been produced. And therefore, not every
specific thought pattern has been produced. Furthermore, not every life
history has been produced, and never will be produced. I believe that human
thought is much like a chaotic system, or, a butterfly effect, if you will.

Everyone's thought patterns can be thought of as "similar", yes. But then
again, so very different. And every interaction between such entities will
yield yet more possibilities, and so on.

I really didn't want to use this example, but I now feel I must.

It was not many weeks ago that I found myself in a rather emotionally
distressing situation. I am/was in love/love (with) this girl - (for
approximately two years), but the situation because /extremely/ messy. So
naturally, I talked to people about it because I know nothing about nothing
about nothing regarding life, as does every other human being on this
planet. I talked to kids younger than me, my age, as well as kids older than
me. Even spoke to professors who I was close to, of all sexual orientations
and experiences (you all would be quite surprised with the diversity of my
circle of friends).

Not one person gave me a "correct" answer with respect to how to handle the
situation. I had to pull various bits and pieces out of all their theories
and experiences as well as from my own and formulate my own "answer" to my
"problem".

What I'm saying is, yes, the theories of my friends were correct for their
own situations and their own past experiences, but not for me. Their advice
regarding life and human interaction may be correct for their own
infinitesimally specific situations, but no more than that. Nothing could
help my situation. In the end, I did have to make a decision and only I knew
the total truth of my situation. And now, my theories on "life" and human
interaction only pertain to me and my situation and my unique life history
and time line and no one else's.

I guess you can't teach anyone these things. You can only teach them how to
learn.


>
> Many of us can now sit back safe in the knowledge that at some point in
> your life (assuming you live to your 30's plus, more so your 40's) you will
> find yourself coming to the same conclusions that we have spoken of here.
>

You only say that because YOU possibly have come to these conclusions. But I
will not. You believe you are right only because of your age. You believe
that your age and your age alone has given you the experience to believe you
are correct in this regard. But your assumption would be invalid. Your age
doesn't really do anything for you except possibly make you a little more
tired and annoyed with the amount of energy and philosophical thought put
into such choices and discussions. And what would be the result of that?
Maybe it would make you all the more inclined to settle on an answer that
makes you happy and leaves you with one less question.


>
> Of course if you were correct, you have just put out of work many
> psychobabalists, behavioural thingos and sociologists, maybe even some
> philosphers, Alain de Botton would have to stop writing books.


Not necessarily true. I am not saying that their theories are invalid. I'm
just saying that no one can make a generalization about life and say it is
correct. There are just too many variables. The whole field of psychology is
nothing more than general observation. I've read lots of psychology  books
and even taken a course (I would take more, but it is not in my field of
study). Most of the "theories", I found, did not apply to me whatsoever. I
did find them interesting, though

2011\04\27@065259 by Herbert Graf

picon face
On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 10:04 +0100, Joe P. Farr wrote:
> > There are no "facts" in life...
>
> You live... you die... those are facts.
> The only real variable is the length of time between the two events.

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die
The in between is mine
I am mine"

Great song...

2011\04\27@070931 by fred jones

picon face


> Well, if it is sad facts that is to be discussed, neither is your assertion.
> Then again, neither is anyone's. There are no "facts" in life. Nothing
> anyone here nor anywhere says is correct about "life". It's too abstract a
> concept and can not be quantified. No one even knows what "life" is. Not
> with the technology* we have at the moment anyway.
VG
Just further proof you're still a child and have lots to learn.  In fact this whole thread has shown your extreme lack of maturity.  The admins asked you 2 days ago to chill out and you can't let it go.  Maybe they will delete you.  They put up with a whole lot more than I would.
FJ                                          

2011\04\27@071932 by Michael Watterson

face picon face
On 27/04/2011 12:09, fred jones wrote:
> Maybe they will delete you.

Fortunately none of them work for the "Ministry of Truth"

2011\04\27@094348 by Tamas Rudnai

face picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM, V G <x.solarwind.xspam_OUTspam@spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not one person gave me a "correct" answer with respect to how to handle the
> situation. I had to pull various bits and pieces out of all their theories
> and experiences as well as from my own and formulate my own "answer" to my
> "problem".
>

I am not sure you expressed your problem here, but I can give you a general
answer to everything: Just behave and respect others. If you do that, others
will respect you too. You need to learn the life not only from your
perspective -- so for example if you have a questionable relation to
someone, and you do make jokes, make sure first that the other one knows
what you are talking about (especially if the subject is not part of the
general knowledge, as you cannot expect others to googling on every single
joke or comment you make). Also make sure he knows your intention (for
example if that was a light hearted joke only to ease your relation to him),
and make sure you know him (aka you have to be sure that the content of your
communication is not hurting others in any way )

Anyway, you do not need to answer or reply, just start thinking why these
things are more complicated than it seems.

Tama

2011\04\27@111639 by Carey Fisher

face picon face
On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Tamas Rudnai <spamBeGonetamas.rudnai@spam@spamgmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM, V G <RemoveMEx.solarwind.xEraseMEspamKILLspamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> I am not sure you expressed your problem here, but I can give you a general
> answer to everything: Just behave and respect others.
>
>
> Poppycock!

Everyone knows  that the Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life,
The Universe, and Everything is 42!!!

Carey Fishe

2011\04\27@115020 by Sergey Dryga

flavicon
face
V G <x.solarwind.x <at> gmail.com> writes:

> True, views change, but let us not ignore the possibility that as time
> progresses, so do situations. There are far too many variables to create a
> generalization.

Well, generalizations are just that - generalizations.  They describe common
patterns, trends and behaviours, but do not necessarily predict individual
outcomes.  It does not diminish their usefulness.  BTW, there are many systems
with too many variables for an exact model, but which can be reduced to a
reasonable generalization.  Examples: biological systems, economical systems.  
In the end, the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and
Everything is 42. (ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_%28number%29#In_The_Hitchhiker.27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy)

Best,

Sergey Dryga
http://beaglerobotics.com



2011\04\27@132557 by V G

picon face
> VG
> Just further proof you're still a child and have lots to learn.  In fact this whole thread has shown your extreme lack of maturity.  The admins asked you 2 days ago to chill out and you can't let it go.  Maybe they will delete you.  They put up with a whole lot more than I would.
> FJ
> --

Well this is exactly why you're not an admin. No one cares what you
put up with or not.

The fact that a recommendation for deletion is te best contribution to
a discussion you can come up with shows YOUR lack of extreme maturity.

2011\04\27@132842 by V G

picon face
On Wednesday, April 27, 2011, Tamas Rudnai <spamBeGonetamas.rudnaispam_OUTspamRemoveMEgmail.com> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

2011\04\27@133348 by V G

picon face
On Wednesday, April 27, 2011, Sergey Dryga <sergeyspam@spam@dryga.us> wrote:
> V G <x.solarwind.x <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> True, views change, but let us not ignore the possibility that as time
>> progresses, so do situations. There are far too many variables to create a
>> generalization.
>
> Well, generalizations are just that - generalizations.  They describe common
> patterns, trends and behaviours, but do not necessarily predict individual
> outcomes.  It does not diminish their usefulness.  BTW, there are many systems
> with too many variables for an exact model, but which can be reduced to a
> reasonable generalization.  Examples: biological systems, economical systems.


Question: generalize the colour of an apple.

Yes, you could compute the RGB value and average them but the answer
is meaningless. Because the question is meaningless.

Biological and economical systems at least can be calculated
mathamatcally. Just not easy but theoretically can be done. How can
you calculate life?

{Quote hidden}

>

2011\04\27@151139 by Bob Blick

face
flavicon
face
I hope we can all decide at this point to stop posting in this thread.
The Piclist should not be a peanut gallery.

Bob

-- http://www.fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
 http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html

2011\04\27@152513 by Sergey Dryga

flavicon
face
V G <x.solarwind.x <at> gmail.com> writes:


> Question: generalize the colour of an apple.
>
> Yes, you could compute the RGB value and average them but the answer
> is meaningless. Because the question is meaningless.

The answer is 42.  If you do not like the answer, you need to ask a better question.
More practical answer could be: a set consisting of red, green and yellow. Apples are never blue or black (at least not edible ones).

>
> Biological and economical systems at least can be calculated
> mathamatcally. Just not easy but theoretically can be done. How can
> you calculate life?
Biological systems cannot be calculated mathematically with a significant
precision even for "simple" organisms like bacteria, at least not yet. When you go up to multi-cellular organisms, the complexity growth exponentially.  Nevertheless, generalized models are quite useful and often predict behavior of such systems.  Not at the organism, or individual, level, but on population level.
Similar "complexity" problems apply to economic models:  one can model
reasonably well a stable system, but only by making assumptions that allow
simplification.  Too many independent variable and unknown interactions.
P.S. I am speaking from experience trying to model both (bio- and econo-) systems.

Sergey Dryga
http://beaglerobotics.com

2011\04\28@023634 by Gerhard Fiedler

picon face
IVP wrote:

>> There are no "facts" in life. Nothing anyone here nor anywhere
>> says is correct about "life"
>
> There are plenty of "facts". What about cause and effect for
> example ?

Probably in most cases where it is claimed it's not much more than a
(possibly but not necessarily very well established) correlation. :)

IMO cause and effect is an interpretation, not a fact. And since we're
talking about life... are we happy because we live happily, or do we
live happily because we are happy?

Gerhar

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2011 , 2012 only
- Today
- New search...