Searching \ for '[OT] The Importance of Following Safety Rules!' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/ios.htm?key=port
Search entire site for: 'The Importance of Following Safety Rules!'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] The Importance of Following Safety Rules!'
2007\02\02@123606 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>  He said "no, it's fine, I'll hold the *neutral* in my hand, (and I mean
> literally holding the bare conductor, terrible idea as it is) the hot
> will be safely connected to the other side of the coil."



:)  Keep your eyes on this guy, a potential Darwin winner!

2007\02\02@153117 by Jinx

face picon face

>  He said "no, it's fine, I'll hold the *neutral* in my hand, (and I
> mean literally holding the bare conductor, terrible idea as it is)
> the hot will be safely connected to the other side of the coil."

Hehe, I'll always remember the frozen grimace on the face of our
physics teacher who was demonstrating how ionised air makes
long arcs easier. So he's holding this bunsen burner, a metal
bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........

2007\02\02@154634 by David VanHorn

picon face
>
>
> Hehe, I'll always remember the frozen grimace on the face of our
> physics teacher who was demonstrating how ionised air makes
> long arcs easier. So he's holding this bunsen burner, a metal
> bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........


With a non-conducting gas hose?

2007\02\02@155508 by Howard Winter

face
flavicon
picon face
Jinx,

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:30:55 +1300, Jinx wrote:

> Hehe, I'll always remember the frozen grimace on the face of our
> physics teacher who was demonstrating how ionised air makes
> long arcs easier. So he's holding this bunsen burner, a metal
> bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........

Ah, schooldays!  

Picture the scene:  the old, small, inefficient van der Graf generator has been replaced by the new, larger, much more efficient one.  It is running.  
Teacher: "Now boys, make sure you stay a good distance away, especially from this part" (points to the dome)   ZAP!   "Yeooowww!"

:-)

Cheers,


Howard Winter
St.Albans, England


2007\02\02@155546 by Jinx

face picon face
> > metal bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........
>
> With a non-conducting gas hose?

He was holding the base of the burner, the spark jumped down
the flame into the barrel

2007\02\02@160715 by David VanHorn

picon face
On 2/2/07, Jinx <spam_OUTjoecolquittTakeThisOuTspamclear.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > > metal bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........
> >
> > With a non-conducting gas hose?
>
> He was holding the base of the burner, the spark jumped down
> the flame into the barrel


Ummm yep.. That's what I would have figured..

Years back, popular electronics did an article on flame speakers.
Ionized with potassium somethingorother, and fed high voltage audio.

Would have been probably an equally effective demo.

2007\02\02@165419 by Herbert Graf

flavicon
face
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 20:55 +0000, Howard Winter wrote:
> Jinx,
>
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:30:55 +1300, Jinx wrote:
>
> > Hehe, I'll always remember the frozen grimace on the face of our
> > physics teacher who was demonstrating how ionised air makes
> > long arcs easier. So he's holding this bunsen burner, a metal
> > bunsen burner, under a Wimshurst machine spark gap .........
>
> Ah, schooldays!  
>
> Picture the scene:  the old, small, inefficient van der Graf generator has been replaced by the new, larger, much more efficient one.  It is running.  
> Teacher: "Now boys, make sure you stay a good distance away, especially from this part" (points to the dome)   ZAP!   "Yeooowww!"

A good reason to read AHEAD in a text book:

Van der Graf generator running, fellow students holding on to it, hair
flying.

Evil me, picks up a metal meter stick and a large piece of rubber
(teacher eying me with a smile on his face). Wraps the middle of the
meter stick with the rubber, holds the meter stick, touches the
generator on one end, touches the cold water tap on the other...
Simultaneous OOOOOWWWWW screamed by about 8 of my fellow students...

Great fun... Of course, I wasn't the only one. Fellow student one day
decided that taking the big classroom magnet and holding it against
people's pockets was a fun idea. All was great until we tried to use any
of our cards with mag strips on them, doh...

TTYL

2007\02\03@052104 by Richard Prosser

picon face
Reminds me of a story I was told when I was a student & working on the
sewer gang as a labourer for the local city council.
About 6 months previously a couple of guys had been down a hole &
overcome by fumes. The 2 guys up on top had no breathing gear so could
only call the local fire brigade for help.
A women passing by saw what had happened, dived into the hole & pulled
the two unconcious workers out - and was treated as a hero by the
local newspaper who tried to condem the other 2 for not "doing
anything".
The point was that they acted correctly, she didn't but got away with
it - and collected the accolades from those that didn't know better.

RP

On 03/02/07, Ruben Jönsson <.....rubenKILLspamspam@spam@pp.sbbs.se> wrote:
{Quote hidden}

>

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 2007 , 2008 only
- Today
- New search...