Searching \ for '[OT] Rewinding Old Receiver Power Transformer' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page:
Search entire site for: 'Rewinding Old Receiver Power Transformer'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Rewinding Old Receiver Power Transformer'
1999\03\22@160715 by dporter

Sorry for off topic post, but I know that the average aged piclister
remembers tubes and transformers.

I have a National HRO-60 power transformer that shorted out (and then
opened up) about two decades ago.  I always thought I'd just order one when
I got money ahead, but now National is gone, and I haven't been able to
find anyone with any parts.  I have resigned myself to rewinding the
transformer.  The voltages are as follows:

Primary: 115 v  (two windings for 115/230 volts)
6.3 - 0 - 7 volts  (not quite a center tap)
5 volts
275 - 0 - 275
and an electrostatic shield.

I have the currents required in a Sam's Photofact, but I'll have to look to
find it.

How do I go about changing voltage/current requirements into wire size,
turns, and cross sectional area?

Is there anyone who still does this professionally?

Thanks for your patience with this off topic post!

David Porter

1999\03\22@172420 by Bob Blick

Hi David,

I've wound lots of transformers. One thing I've found pretty consistently
is that it is very hard to fit enough wire in the transformer if you are
conservative about wire size.

Typically wire sizing is around 600 circular mils per ampere.

If you look hard enough you should be able to buy a transformer new with
the ratings you need. 275-0-275 6.3-0-6.3 and 5 are pretty standard. All
the "Glass Audio" kind of magazines that cater to tube audio have sources
for parts listed.

Unless you are interested in absolute authenticity, of course. Then you
should pay $150 and have your old one rewound professionally.


1999\03\26@061653 by paulb

David Porter wrote:

> How do I go about changing voltage/ current requirements into wire
> size, turns, and cross sectional area?

 I don't get it!  Where'd the old wire go to?  Part of stripping it is
recording the number of turns and gauge of the old windings.  You
actually strip it using the winding machine itself.

 As a general rule, modern enamels are superior to the old ones, so the
rewound version is more durable than the original.
       Paul B.

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1999 , 2000 only
- Today
- New search...