Searching \ for '[OT] Re: another q from the stupid newbie' in subject line. ()
Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Help us get a faster server
FAQ page: www.piclist.com/techref/index.htm?key=another+stupid+newbie
Search entire site for: 'Re: another q from the stupid newbie'.

Exact match. Not showing close matches.
PICList Thread
'[OT] Re: another q from the stupid newbie'
1997\10\08@225909 by Rob Zitka

flavicon
face
At 07:31 PM 10/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>Apparently I have some sort of learning disability, because trying to
>learn C gives me fits! For some reason, the language syntax just doesn't
>make sense to me, but I'm obviously the odd one on this. And it's the
>only programming language that does. (Admittedly, I don't have the time
>to tinker that I used to.) Over the past 15 years. I've programmed
>extensively in about a half dozen programming languages with at least a
>half dozen dialects of each not to mention numerous machine languages.
>Even if you do work in a high level language on a PIC, you'll still need
>to know some machine language for debugging.

I don't think you are the only one to feel that way.  I have programmed in
FORTRAN and Pascal and even in Assembly.  By far the biggest headche has
been C.  Or more specifically C++ which I am taking a class on right now.
This language has too many bells and whistles I think.  Now I understand
why the need for CASE tools.

(CASE fyi is an even higher level language that in essence is used to
define what you want and IT implements the code.  It probably is larger
code but is easier to update and more reliable.)



{Quote hidden}

Or Visual Basic for Pics :)

>
>As for PIC assembler, it took me about three weeks to become reasonably
>comfortable with it. PIC architecture is different from anything I'd
>worked with before. Start small and build from there. Microchip's MPLAB
>is priced right. You have at least two advantages over many of us -
>you're a lot younger and learn quicker and you don't have a deadline for
>your project to worry about.
>

Amen.

>-Frank
>
>
>Frank Richterkessing
>
>spam_OUTFRANK.RICHTERKESSINGTakeThisOuTspamAPPL.GE.COM
>
>

1997\10\09@082927 by Sean Breheny

face picon face
At 12:04 AM 10/10/97 +1300, you wrote:
<snip>
>For example. All the books make out that beginners can't understand
>pointers but if you
>think of
>char  *TEXT
>as
>TEXT:   DB      'My string', 0
>
>then TEXT has some meaning. You know that TEXT is the address of the 'M'
>and that if you increment it, it will be the address of (point to) the 'y'.
>
>None of this applies to C for Windows programming, where Bill has decided
>to change the
>effect of the '=' sign and a few other subtle gotchas.
>
>
>Steve.
>

I was wondering exactly what you mean when you say "none of this applies to
WIndows C programming" I have written a couple of simple windows programs
and aside from the fact that windows code does not execute sequentially
(i.e. case statements continuously), I found no basic syntatacal difference
from DOS C programming.

Sean


Sean Breheny,KA3YXM
Electrical Engineering Student

1997\10\09@153716 by Steve Baldwin

flavicon
face
> I was wondering exactly what you mean when you say "none of this applies
to
> WIndows C programming" I have written a couple of simple windows programs
> and aside from the fact that windows code does not execute sequentially
> (i.e. case statements continuously), I found no basic syntatacal
difference
> from DOS C programming.

The comment was a bit 'tongue in cheek'.
One of my memories from my first Windows app years ago. I can't remember
which API function it was off hand, but   it was something to do with
getting hold of handles.
The function was called in the form of  a=func(b,c).
My simple brain says that after a statement like that, the value of a is
the result of something derived from b and c.
Not so in this case.
a is now what b used to be, and b takes on the new derived value.

Steve.

======================================================
 Very funny Scotty.  Now beam down my clothes.
======================================================
Steve Baldwin                Electronic Product Design
TLA Microsystems Ltd         Microcontroller Specialists
PO Box 15-680                email: .....stevebKILLspamspam@spam@kcbbs.gen.nz
New Lynn, Auckland           ph  +64 9 820-2221
New Zealand                  fax +64 9 820-1929
======================================================

1997\10\09@191338 by Rob Zitka

flavicon
face
>Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 19:10:42 -0400
>To: lilelspamKILLspamtoastmaster.com
>From: Rob Zitka <.....robzsKILLspamspam.....hicom.net>
>Subject: [OT] Re: another q from the stupid newbie
>
>At 10:01 AM 10/9/97 +0000, you wrote:
>>> Should I use a c compiler for the
>>> pic, picbasic, or what?  I know assembly is VERY hard to learn
>>> (according to my physics teacher) and I really don't know any other
>>> language besides Pbasic and my calculator's language (which I'm told
>>> is like c).
>>
>>
>>So far I tally NO votes for C,  5 votes for assembler.
>>Best Regards,
>
Well, to be a tad more correct, it's more like 20 Assembly, 1 C, with
myself being the only one that has advocated C and assembly.

In retrospect however I have changed my mind regarding the whole issue.
Stay with PBasic!  Both Assembly and C are cumbersome in their own way!

Rob, who awaits to be pummeled by the fellow piclisters.


>>
>>Lawrence Lile
>>
>>

More... (looser matching)
- Last day of these posts
- In 1997 , 1998 only
- Today
- New search...